Author Topic: Would you do this deal for Eddy Curry?  (Read 18144 times)

Re: Would you do this deal for Eddy Curry?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I would be pretty surprised if Donny Walsh would turn down the ability to shed Jared Jeffries over Gallinari.
There was a strong rumour last year that had Donnie Walsh turning down a Jeffries salary dump over Nate Robinson. A player that doesn't figure in their long term plans, unlike Gallinari.

I think Donnie values Gallinari above anyone else on that Knicks team. Plus, that Gallo's development is one of the biggest keys to his free agency plan (since they want some talent on the roster to entice FAs).

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would be pretty surprised if Donny Walsh would turn down the ability to shed Jared Jeffries over Gallinari.
There was a strong rumour last year that had Donnie Walsh turning down a Jeffries salary dump over Nate Robinson. A player that doesn't figure in their long term plans, unlike Gallinari.

I think Donnie values Gallinari above anyone else on that Knicks team. Plus, that Gallo's development is one of the biggest keys to his free agency plan (since they want some talent on the roster to entice FAs).

Yeah, I think Donnie values talent over a little extra cap space.  They have so little talent already, he is not going to give up the little that they have just to get a little more room. 

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:34 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

I'll co-sign with this and that's the reason I proposed the type of deal I have in this thread. I believe Walsh would agree to this trade.

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Yeah, I think Donnie values talent over a little extra cap space.  They have so little talent already, he is not going to give up the little that they have just to get a little more room. 

That's the thing, the $10-13 million (DG+JJ or DG+EC) more in space could mean the difference is signing that 2nd or 3rd major piece for the Knicks next off-season.

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Per 36 numbers:

Gallinari scores 17.7 points per 36. Ray Allen scores 15.0 but has scored 17.5-17.9 points per 36 in the two previous seasons.

Ray Allen scores his points on 12.3 shots a night and 13-13.5 shots in the two previous years. Gallinari, on a per 36 level, also scores his points on 12.7 shots.

True shooting percentage is 63.7% for Gallo and 56.5% for Ray currently but was 62.4% last season.

Gallinari isn't playing 36 minutes a night whilst Ray is playing 35 a game. But he is playing 29 minutes a night so I don't expect much change (a wild swing) in his per minute production by playing 5-6 extra minutes.

Rebounding rate, Ray averages 4.5% and 6% in two previous seasons, while Gallinari averages 8.3% (and I think there's a good chance that improves in the future). A substantial improvement in rebounding

Defensively, I don't think it's close. Ray is much better.

Danilo needs at least a full NBA year under his belt before his offering can be better established. Meanwhile, he plays on a D'Antoni team with no concern for wins and losses.

Anyway it doesn't seem fair to either to conpare the two. Like I said, you could probably get him without trading Ray.

If that's the case I think that is the deal Danny needs to go for... We already have our "win now" team set. Might as well cash in these expiring assets and bring in a player that has promise, so long as the other contract that comes back with the prospect expires before 2012.

I think ownership would have a problem with that.  I don't think Wyc feels like paying about $70 million over the next two years (Curry's and Jeffries salaries plus luxury tax) for two useless players. 

They have made it clear that they will pay what it takes for the right players.  However, they have also made it clear both with actions and words that they are not going to simply throw money at issues.

And considering the fact that Pags is spending a million a week on advertising for his campaign, combined with the economy causing them to lose sponsors, I sure as hell don't blame them.

Alright, you don't like this deal from an economical standpoint... I got that. But what if as ssspence said, we could land DG and only take on JJ or EC? Would you do that or something similar? I feel it's important we start building for the future if we have the assets to do so.

Probably.  But the Knicks would never do that, so it's a moot point.

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The Knicks wouldn't need to waive Ray Allen for me to make that deal. Of course, that would the deal better though.

Really? I'd pass on this unless Allen was released. Would the Knicks make this deal?
Knicks would never release Ray Allen. They don't need $ relief for this season because they are rich. He is way too good a player.

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The Knicks wouldn't need to waive Ray Allen for me to make that deal. Of course, that would the deal better though.

Really? I'd pass on this unless Allen was released. Would the Knicks make this deal?
Knicks would never release Ray Allen. They don't need $ relief for this season because they are rich. He is way too good a player.

Right but that would have to be a  ;) ;) pre-condition. Otherwise the deal hurts the Green big time this season.

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Probably.  But the Knicks would never do that, so it's a moot point.

I agree, but some feel that Walsh is becoming that desperate.

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Celtics Cap Situation In 2011

Garnett + Pierce + Rondo + Perk + Sheed = $60.6 million
Glen Davis = $2.5 million
Gallinari = $3.3 million
Eddy Curry = $11.3 million
Jared Jeffries = $6.9 million
Total = $74.6 million + cost of filling out rest of roster ($7-10 million more)

Thoughts

* The Celtics would have their starting five sorted with Rondo, Pierce, Gallinari, KG and Perk
* They would have their backup bigs sorted with Sheed, Davis and Jeffries. Plus Curry as a sixth big in the rotation
* They would have no backup guards or wings

What if the team could trade Jared Jeffries' expiring contract for a valuable backup on the wing? Or at the guard spot?

The team's salary bill would be around $82-84 million and they'd have cap relief on the way once Curry expired.

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That's the thing, the $10-13 million (DG+JJ or DG+EC) more in space could mean the difference is signing that 2nd or 3rd major piece for the Knicks next off-season.

Except they would then have to fill the entire rest of their roster with vet minimum players.  Do you think Lebron and Bosh are going to go there to play with Jordan Hill, Willson Chandler, and 9 vet minimum players?

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yep, I recall the rumor -- generally panned as one of the worst decisions he's ever made (and he's made some pretty questionable ones) and one he declined before the collapse of the economy, and therefore reduced NBA revenue and a lower cap.

In short, he expected to have a) enough cap space to sign two max players, or subsequently b) the ability to move curry. He now has the ability to do neither, and their entire free agency plan is sinking with said dilemma.

You honestly think Donny Walsh would turn down $9mil in additional 2010 cap space over Danilo Gallinari? You think James Dolan would let him do that, after 15 years without any? You think Lebron or Wade or wheoever is going to pick the Knicks due to Gallinari?

If they do the deal, they can then sign Joe Johnson (or whoever), and then sign Lebron (or whoever else), and their current 'talent' is forgotten. C'mon, gang.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why the Cs do it. As I said before, I'd like a more dimensional player than Danilo if I'm going to make the Knicks contenders.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Gallinari = $3.3 million

Thoughts

* The Celtics would have their starting five sorted with Rondo, Pierce, Gallinari, KG and Perk
* They would have their backup bigs sorted with Sheed, Davis and Jeffries. Plus Curry as a sixth big in the rotation

What if the team could trade Jared Jeffries' expiring contract for a valuable backup on the wing? Or at the guard spot?

The team's salary bill would be around $82-84 million and they'd have cap relief on the way once Curry expired.

The question is, is that team better than if they simply resigned Ray for $8 million, House for $3 million, and then used the MLE (and the salary would still be lower than the one you proposed)?  Personally, I think it is significantly worse.  

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Except they would then have to fill the entire rest of their roster with vet minimum players.  Do you think Lebron and Bosh are going to go there to play with Jordan Hill, Willson Chandler, and 9 vet minimum players?

Some pretty [dang] good players are going to sign those deals to play with those guys. And they'll use the MLE every year and the LLE every other year in the process.

Look at it this way: is Lebron going to resign with the Cavs current roster? How much better are they? Take him off that team and they're one of the worst teams in the league.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2009, 03:30:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Gallinari = $3.3 million

Thoughts

The question is, is that team better than if they simply resigned Ray for $8 million, House for $3 million, and then used the MLE (and the salary would still be lower than the one you proposed)?  Personally, I think it is significantly worse.  

Yeah maybe it's not the place for the debate but I'm firmly against any team that is going to rely on Paul Pierce as the first option at 2 guard. I am very firmly against that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Gallinari = $3.3 million

Thoughts

So the difference in salary, in that scenario, is pretty much Eddy Curry's contract plus the ensuing luxury tax charges for that contract.

Okay, so is the team better? Depends on how much Gallinari grows from this season to the next one. If the development is minimal then the team is pretty much the same. If the development is good, then the team is better.