Author Topic: Would you do this deal for Eddy Curry?  (Read 18150 times)

Re: Would you do this deal for Eddy Curry?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Short term,

I see Gallinari as being capable enough to match Ray Allen's offensive contributions but not his defensive contributions.

But at 6-10, with good length, and with the team defense that the C's have, I think that Gallinari would be more than serviceable defensively against two guards and/or as a secondary wing defender (with Pierce taking tougher assignments when needed, which will be more often than it is with Ray). Plus Gallinari is a plus rebounder for a two guard which Ray no longer is.

I think the team will take a slight dip after the proposed trade with Gallo taking over Ray's role, but I also think Gallinari makes a large enough contribution to keep the title window open.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on Gallinari's talent then.  I just don't see that.

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think Gallinari could be the second coming of Peja.

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I think Gallinari could be the second coming of Peja.

Yup, when Peja was great too. The guy has an array of offensive weapons.

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I see Gallinari as an efficient version of Hedo Turkoglu. A very efficient 22+ppg threat + 5+apg who can run your offense. Along with steady contributions defensively + hopefully on the boards.

A perennial All-Star player who could become an All-NBA player.

Take off those rose-tinted glasses, amigo....

He has 18 assists this season -- total.
First season + comeback from an injury.

Wait for it and you'll see it.

His passing ability + ball-handling ability + vision are excellent. His confidence is not. Give him time to work up that confidence and we'll start to see his creativity.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:53:14 PM by Who »

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Short term,

I see Gallinari as being capable enough to match Ray Allen's offensive contributions but not his defensive contributions.

But at 6-10, with good length, and with the team defense that the C's have, I think that Gallinari would be more than serviceable defensively against two guards and/or as a secondary wing defender (with Pierce taking tougher assignments when needed, which will be more often than it is with Ray). Plus Gallinari is a plus rebounder for a two guard which Ray no longer is.

I think the team will take a slight dip after the proposed trade with Gallo taking over Ray's role, but I also think Gallinari makes a large enough contribution to keep the title window open.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on Gallinari's talent then.  I just don't see that.
Guessing here ... but I imagine we disagree just as much on Ray's talent level (particularly offensively) as Gallinari's.

I don't think Ray gives much value to the team with his ball-handling or passing, neither does Gallinari for the time being. Ray Allen is a good scorer but has been contained/limited by top teams too easily in the past year and change. Gallinari offers just as good shooting ability and almost as much scoring ability against elite teams. Against lesser teams, Ray is still a better scorer.

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I see Gallinari as an efficient version of Hedo Turkoglu. A very efficient 22+ppg threat + 5+apg who can run your offense. Along with steady contributions defensively + hopefully on the boards.

His passing ability + ball-handling ability + vision are excellent. His confidence is not. Give him time to work up that confidence and we'll start to see his creativity.

I've seen Gallinari play and know about the player. In fact, I saw him play in Milan a couple of times. He's not a very good passer, and he looks to shoot too quickly under pressure.

He also has a lack of athleticism (a developing issue on the Cs) and a back problem.

You're reaching...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Per 36 numbers:

Gallinari scores 17.7 points per 36. Ray Allen scores 15.0 but has scored 17.5-17.9 points per 36 in the two previous seasons.

Ray Allen scores his points on 12.3 shots a night and 13-13.5 shots in the two previous years. Gallinari, on a per 36 level, also scores his points on 12.7 shots.

True shooting percentage is 63.7% for Gallo and 56.5% for Ray currently but was 62.4% last season.

Gallinari isn't playing 36 minutes a night whilst Ray is playing 35 a game. But he is playing 29 minutes a night so I don't expect much change (a wild swing) in his per minute production by playing 5-6 extra minutes.

Rebounding rate, Ray averages 4.5% and 6% in two previous seasons, while Gallinari averages 8.3% (and I think there's a good chance that improves in the future). A substantial improvement in rebounding

Defensively, I don't think it's close. Ray is much better.

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I've seen Gallinari play and know about the player. In fact, I saw him play in Milan a couple of times. He's not a very good passer, and he looks to shoot too quickly under pressure.

He also has a lack of athleticism (a developing issue on the Cs) and a back problem.

You're reaching...
Fair enough, I disagree though.

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Short term,

Guessing here ... but I imagine we disagree just as much on Ray's talent level (particularly offensively) as Gallinari's.

I don't think Ray gives much value to the team with his ball-handling or passing, neither does Gallinari for the time being. Ray Allen is a good scorer but has been contained/limited by top teams too easily in the past year and change. Gallinari offers just as good shooting ability and almost as much scoring ability against elite teams. Against lesser teams, Ray is still a better scorer.

No, I don't think we disagree too much on Ray's talent level.  I think we just disagree on Gallinari, as well as the value of continuity on a team like this.  If you are going to shake things up, it better REALLY be worth it. 

Ultimately, I would absolutely trade Ray straight up for Gallinari, since, even though it might be a step back this season, he would absolutely help this team in the future, and it would provide us with a lot more cap flexibility next year, so they might be more willing to take on another long term contract.  I just do not think the amount Gallinari helps us in the future, makes up for taking on two massive dead weights, who would like tie Danny's hands next summer, and for the rest of this season.

Or to put it more concisely, I do not believe championship level teams can afford to carry massive dead-weight contracts, no matter what the cost. 

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Short term,

I don't think the downgrade this year is worth the awful contracts coming back. Not when the Celtics should be trying as hard as possible to win now. Going forward I think Gallanari is going to be a good player and I think he'd definitely open the window wider for this team.

The other thing to consider is team chemistry. I'm not sure how you sell such a trade to KG/Pierce/Rondo.

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Per 36 numbers:

Gallinari scores 17.7 points per 36. Ray Allen scores 15.0 but has scored 17.5-17.9 points per 36 in the two previous seasons.

Ray Allen scores his points on 12.3 shots a night and 13-13.5 shots in the two previous years. Gallinari, on a per 36 level, also scores his points on 12.7 shots.

True shooting percentage is 63.7% for Gallo and 56.5% for Ray currently but was 62.4% last season.

Gallinari isn't playing 36 minutes a night whilst Ray is playing 35 a game. But he is playing 29 minutes a night so I don't expect much change (a wild swing) in his per minute production by playing 5-6 extra minutes.

Rebounding rate, Ray averages 4.5% and 6% in two previous seasons, while Gallinari averages 8.3% (and I think there's a good chance that improves in the future). A substantial improvement in rebounding

Danilo needs at least a full NBA year under his belt before his offering can be better established. Meanwhile, he plays on a D'Antoni team with no concern for wins and losses.

Anyway it doesn't seem fair to either to conpare the two. Like I said, you could probably get him without trading Ray.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Per 36 numbers:

Danilo needs at least a full NBA year under his belt before his offering can be better established. Meanwhile, he plays on a D'Antoni team with no concern for wins and losses.

Anyway it doesn't seem fair to either to conpare the two. Like I said, you could probably get him without trading Ray.

If that's the case I think that is the deal Danny needs to go for... We already have our "win now" team set. Might as well cash in these expiring assets and bring in a player that has promise, so long as the other contract that comes back with the prospect expires before 2012.

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Per 36 numbers:

If that's the case I think that is the deal Danny needs to go for... We already have our "win now" team set. Might as well cash in these expiring assets and bring in a player that has promise, so long as the other contract that comes back with the prospect expires before 2012.

I think ownership would have a problem with that.  I don't think Wyc feels like paying about $70 million over the next two years (Curry's and Jeffries salaries plus luxury tax) for two useless players. 

They have made it clear that they will pay what it takes for the right players.  However, they have also made it clear both with actions and words that they are not going to simply throw money at issues.

And considering the fact that Pags is spending a million a week on advertising for his campaign, combined with the economy causing them to lose sponsors, I sure as hell don't blame them.

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Per 36 numbers:

I think ownership would have a problem with that.  I don't think Wyc feels like paying about $70 million over the next two years (Curry's and Jeffries salaries plus luxury tax) for two useless players. 

They have made it clear that they will pay what it takes for the right players.  However, they have also made it clear both with actions and words that they are not going to simply throw money at issues.

And considering the fact that Pags is spending a million a week on advertising for his campaign, combined with the economy causing them to lose sponsors, I sure as hell don't blame them.

I think what he was referring to was my suggestion that you could get Danilo without trading Ray, meaning with only Curry or Jeffries.

I would be pretty surprised if Donny Walsh would turn down the ability to shed Jared Jeffries over Gallinari.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Per 36 numbers:

Alright, you don't like this deal from an economical standpoint... I got that. But what if as ssspence said, we could land DG and only take on JJ or EC? Would you do that or something similar? I feel it's important we start building for the future if we have the assets to do so.