Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division  (Read 93824 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Call me old fashioned, but the less scrolling text the better  :-X

Blasphemy...........
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
3) Neither Bibby nor Redd is what I'd call a poor defender.  They're average.  Additionally, we have very strong backcourt defenders coming off of the bench, in Manu, Delonte, and Ross.

Here is what Hollinger says on Redd:
You rarely see Redd getting beat on defense, but that's because he's rarely guarding anyone who can play. He basically coasts at that end, usually guarding an inferior offensive player and virtually never offering help from the weak side. The Bucks allowed 4.6 points per 48 minutes more with him on the court, and he drew only six offensive fouls in 2,700 minutes.

And on Bibby
Bibby has a reputation as an indifferent defender, though he did draw 12 offensive fouls in 33 games with the Hawks. However, both Atlanta and Sacramento defended much better when he was off the court. Because he's relatively small for the position and doesn't possess outstanding quickness, this end of the floor will always be somewhat problematic for him.

As for transition defense, I'm not aware of too many centers who are stopping fast breaks at the other end.  Jermaine can run with other power forwards, and our other players are all excellent athletes.  The role of Shaq and our other big men will be to finish on offense and to make it difficult for opposing teams to rebound, so that breaks don't get started in the first place.  Since we have potentially the most offensively efficient team in the fake NBA, I like our chances.

However this is what Hollinger says on JO

When healthy, O'Neal remains a ferocious defender who is as adept defending the low post as he is coming over from the weak side to take a charge or block a shot. Even in his diminished state a season ago, he ranked sixth among centers in blocks per minute, and ranked seventh in the league in offensive fouls drawn with 45 despite playing only half a season (!) -- on a per-minute basis only Utah's Jarron Collins drew more. It's no surprise that the Pacers gave up 7.2 fewer points per 48 minutes with him on the court; in my estimation he's the most underrated defensive player in basketball.

I'm not sold that Jermaine can run like a deer in transition up and down the court, but I may have underestimated him defensively.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2009, 01:11:25 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Call me old fashioned, but the less scrolling text the better  :-X

Blasphemy...........

Grouds for excommunication from the church of Edgar.

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2009, 01:13:41 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
3) Neither Bibby nor Redd is what I'd call a poor defender.  They're average.  Additionally, we have very strong backcourt defenders coming off of the bench, in Manu, Delonte, and Ross.

You rarely see Redd getting beat on defense, but that's because he's rarely guarding anyone who can play. He basically coasts at that end, usually guarding an inferior offensive player and virtually never offering help from the weak side. The Bucks allowed 4.6 points per 48 minutes more with him on the court, and he drew only six offensive fouls in 2,700 minutes.

And on Bibby
Bibby has a reputation as an indifferent defender, though he did draw 12 offensive fouls in 33 games with the Hawks. However, both Atlanta and Sacramento defended much better when he was off the court. Because he's relatively small for the position and doesn't possess outstanding quickness, this end of the floor will always be somewhat problematic for him.

As for transition defense, I'm not aware of too many centers who are stopping fast breaks at the other end.  Jermaine can run with other power forwards, and our other players are all excellent athletes.  The role of Shaq and our other big men will be to finish on offense and to make it difficult for opposing teams to rebound, so that breaks don't get started in the first place.  Since we have potentially the most offensively efficient team in the fake NBA, I like our chances.

When healthy, O'Neal remains a ferocious defender who is as adept defending the low post as he is coming over from the weak side to take a charge or block a shot. Even in his diminished state a season ago, he ranked sixth among centers in blocks per minute, and ranked seventh in the league in offensive fouls drawn with 45 despite playing only half a season (!) -- on a per-minute basis only Utah's Jarron Collins drew more. It's no surprise that the Pacers gave up 7.2 fewer points per 48 minutes with him on the court; in my estimation he's the most underrated defensive player in basketball.

I'm not sold that Jermaine can run like a deer in transition up and down the court, but I may have underestimated him defensively.

Interesting stuff on Jermaine. I'm willing to accept it if the "defense" (no pun intended) accepts the reviews on the backcourt.

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
A question for Portland: Do you plan on keeping your lockerroom stocked with Wrther's Originals? Also a follow up, how do you plan on keeping thoe darn kids off the lawwn?

Quite possibly.  After winning the championship, we will also be attaching hundreds / thousands of helium balloons to our arena and taking it on a trip to South America. 

By the way, 14 out of 15 players on our roster are younger than Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen; 13 are younger than Paul Pierce (he's about 2 1/2 months younger than Manu).

Not exactly 50, but you could do worse:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEM, YOUR PORTLAND CROTONATS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEMx_-ccR0&feature=related

u are

CrotorNats Rocks,..

this is a very well and thoughtfull post of edgar on his feelings on their team

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2009, 01:18:08 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
A question for Portland: Do you plan on keeping your lockerroom stocked with Wrther's Originals? Also a follow up, how do you plan on keeping thoe darn kids off the lawwn?

Quite possibly.  After winning the championship, we will also be attaching hundreds / thousands of helium balloons to our arena and taking it on a trip to South America. 

By the way, 14 out of 15 players on our roster are younger than Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen; 13 are younger than Paul Pierce (he's about 2 1/2 months younger than Manu).

u are

CrotorNats Rocks,..

Spite is very unbecoming in the elderly...

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2009, 01:21:22 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Caption the CrotoNat:

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 01:22:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought Greg Oden was on the Nuggets?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:14 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
I thought Greg Oden was on the Nuggets?

Siged for the vet minimum, and a new tube of Dentasure.

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How much stock is Portland putting into Mike Bibby defensively? How willing is Portland to sit Bibby and put in Holiday or West in for high pressure situations? Holiday is a rookie, but one who is probably more defensively able, West is a bigger more athletic guy than Bibby, but is he tough enough to guard elite PG's?

Mike Bibby has been defending elite point guards his entire career, and has always shined during crunch time.  That being said, if he's struggling, we have absolutely no problem bringing in Delonte.

Jrue is going to cut his teeth in the D-League.  We may get him some regular season minutes, but it's unlikely that he'll have much of a role in the playoffs unless he plays up to his full potential.

Are you concerned about Rashard Lewis matching up against quicker craftier SF's? He's obviously a good offensive PF in the NBA, but as a SF if relegated to the perimeter, doesn't he lose a bit of his mismatch advantage? Its not like he's going to spend much time in the paint if JO and Shaq are in there.

Rashard Lewis is an elite athlete; he's not a lumbering "power 3".  What makes Rashard Lewis an elite player is that he can play both the three and the four equally well.  He played predominantly at the 3 in Seattle, earning himself a max contract.  In Orlando, he plays the 4.  He's created mismatches at both positions.

If you remember his games against the Celtics, neither small forwards *not* power forwards could guard him; the only answer the Celts had was KG, and there's only one KG.

We don't think Rashard will have any problem getting touches.  Shaq will command a double-team in the post, meaning that Rashard or another one of our players is going to have a lot of room to move.

Are you concerned with your depth at the SG/SF position? Redd Manu and Lewis are all very good players, but Fred Jones and Jared Dudley are not. Excepting Redd and Manu's injury histories, and age factor (ie each injury presumably takes a little bit out of them athletically, its just the aging process), Ryan Gomes and Fred Jones are going to see playing time..if not Fred Jones then Delonte, but then who plays your backup point behind Bibby?

The following players on our roster can play SG / SF:  Rashard (SF only), Redd (both), Manu (both), Delonte (SG), Gomes (SF), Jones (both), Dudley (both), Ross (both).  I don't think depth at the position is an issue at all.

Jones is a competent player.  I wouldn't call him "good", but he did start 21 games last season and played very efficiently.  Jared Dudley is a lot better than you're giving him credit for.  Again, I wouldn't want him as a starter, but as a third or fourth string SF, he's pretty solid.

It seems kind of like your perimeter rotation is like a tightly wound (is that the right word?) clock, and if one gasket breaks loose its just not going to run right. That's not to say its not a fine clock, but a vulnerable one. Injuries are a concern for every team, but with you double dipping between Lewis, Manu, and Delonte, do you worry that shortening your rotation one player screws the whole thing up?

Can you explain your reasoning?  I don't see it the same way you do.  We feel that we've got the deepest team in the league, so if any one player is injured, we can absorb that loss.  We have 10 players who are capable NBA starters.

For instance, if Jermaine O'Neal gets injured, we'll move Rashard Lewis into the starting lineup, and Turiaf steps in as his backup.  If Manu goes down, a combination of Delonte, Ross, and Jones can cover the position adequately.

In the "real" NBA, most teams get by with 8 or 9 man rotations, so it's not like you need a full-time backup at every position.  That being said, it's exactly what we have.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

u are

CrotorNats Rocks,..

lol we love our ice cream..

Nice to be back!

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

u are

CrotorNats Rocks,..

lol we love our ice cream..

Don't eat too much, you'll get a headache.

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

And on Bibby

Interesting stuff on Jermaine. I'm willing to accept it if the "defense" (no pun intended) accepts the reviews on the backcourt.

I tend not to rely on Hollinger's analysis one way or the other.  I think he often allows his numbers to dictate his observations.  You can go back through probably two years of threads to see that I've never been much of a Hollinger fan.

That being said, as I've been saying, Jermaine is a very good defender, and showed it last year in Miami.  If Hollinger agrees with that, cool, although I don't think it's dispositive.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If you subsituted this yr's Redd or Manu for 2007/2008 Pierce and this yr's Shaq for 2007/2008 KG, do the Celtics win the title?

It doesn't work quite like that, because we'd have two centers, and no power forwards.  Also, of course, it's hard to discount intangibles like three stars who never had any real playoff success coming together to make a run.

That being said, though, I think that any of the players on our team could be a great fit on a title contender.