Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division  (Read 93829 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC

1. KC was great to work with. It was tough to leave him because we did a lot of predraft work to get ready. There wasn't really a conflict with him because he was targeting different guys than i was. He had his PG right out of the gates. We tried to work a deal after the draft but couldn't come to it. I was hoping for a danny-mchale type deal but he wasn't willing  ;D

The Memphis Grizzlies would like to congratulate CiO on making such a greatteam out of aa bad situation.

thanks man...appreciate it

« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

1. KC was great to work with. It was tough to leave him because we did a lot of predraft work to get ready. There wasn't really a conflict with him because he was targeting different guys than i was. He had his PG right out of the gates. We tried to work a deal after the draft but couldn't come to it. I was hoping for a danny-mchale type deal but he wasn't willing  ;D

The Memphis Grizzlies would like to congratulate CiO on making such a greatteam out of aa bad situation.

cosign... if your last name was Brown, I would say "Heckuva job, Brownie."

If not, just heckuva job then.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Seattle definitely. Utah, it will be close. I see the Pacific putting three definite in the playoffs and the Southwest might put three in too. I have to take a closer look over the next couple of days. Yeah, Utah could definitely grab a seed as well.

I agree on three out of the Pacific.  In the Southwest, I'm not sure yet.  I still like Utah, I think.  However, I'll give the other GMs a chance to do their press conferences.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Haha.  Are you comparing the job CiO has done to the Brown's handling of Katrina?  I'm not sure that is a compliment. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Haha.  Are you comparing the job CiO has done to the Brown's handling of Katrina?  I'm not sure that is a compliment. ;)

does that mean i will be to blame when the entire celtic blog ends in disaster? i think hoyo just gave me the kiss of death  :)

« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

• Don Chaney

does that mean i will be to blame when the entire celtic blog ends in disaster? i think hoyo just gave me the kiss of death  :)

haha both points are extremely well taken. For the record, CIO I honestly did think it was a good job.

However, perhaps I should retract heckuva job brownie ;D No need for the impending collapse of Celticsblog.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Seattle, I love any team that has Duncan

but

I think you are mismatched at G and F.

Your G are to small defensively.  Against Portland, their shooters will have no problem getting their shots off.

Your F lack shooting.  I would love to see you have gotten a different SF and have Young be your starting PF.

So, my question is are you going to look to make tweaks to your lineup through trades before the trade deadline?

« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443

but

Your G are to small defensively.  Against Portland, their shooters will have no problem getting their shots off.

Your F lack shooting.  I would love to see you have gotten a different SF and have Young be your starting PF.

So, my question is are you going to look to make tweaks to your lineup through trades before the trade deadline?

we can make trades still????
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »

• Don Chaney

but

I understand the problems associated with the small backcourt, which is why I have Jones, Bayless, and Daniels to take over against larger post up guards. Jones will see plenty of time, and at 6'6 and athletic can play Portland's SGs tough. Thaddeus Young can definitely shoot, be it at the 3 or 4. My assessment of the team was that I needed a shot blocking helpside defender and excellent rebounder to match with Duncan in the paint.

Also, I was under the impression the trade deadline has passed?

I would also like to know which of Portland's guards can stay in front of Ford, or can deny Gordon his shot better then the Celtics did in the playoffs last year? I understand they are small, but they are also quite good in their own right.

« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

but

we can make trades still????

No.  Question is more about what he would plan to do in the season.

« Reply #280 on: August 10, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I would also like to know which of Portland's guards can stay in front of Ford, or can deny Gordon his shot better then the Celtics did in the playoffs last year? I understand they are small, but they are also quite good in their own right.

Here's how Ford has done against Bibby in 10 career matchups:

Wins: Bibby - 8, Ford - 2
PPG: Bibby - 20.1, Ford 13.4
RPG: Bibby - 4.1, Ford 2.9
APG: Bibby - 6.6, Ford 6.7
TPG: Bibby - 2.2, Ford 3.1
PF/G: Bibby - 1.9, Ford 3.0
FG%: Bibby - 46.8%, Ford - 47.9%
3PT%: Bibby - 37.1%, Ford - 0.0%

Link.

In other words, I'm not sure that the Ford / Bibby mismatch is in your favor.

Also, while Ben Gordon has scored fairly well against Michael Redd in the past (20.8 ppg), Redd has torched him on the other end (28.4 ppg).

« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Thad Young is good. He's young, he has the ability to be better than Dunleavy, and is better than he is right now because of the injury.  However Dunleavy can fill a stat sheet with rebounds, assist and points and overall is a better player when healthy. 

Call me crazy, but I think I have a player very similar to Young on my team in C.J. Miles.  Young is a better rebounder, but Miles played just 22 minutes and scored 9 points a game. Given the 30 plus minutes Young got and not having to compete for playing time against Harpring, Ak47, and Korver,he could be just as good scoring wise.  I think he'll get even more minutes this year.  If Boozer is traded then AK47 will play more minutes at the power forward spot and Harpring may or may not even play next year so that will give Miles more playing time.  I think he could be a really good player if given more playing time.  Not saying he is Thad Young, but I think people forget C.J. Miles is just 22 because he's been in the league 4 years and he's just starting to put everything together.

« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
This was a tough one to call from 2-5 but I finally came up with this:

1) Portland
2) Seattle
3) Utah
4) Denver
5) Minnesota

The questionable health of Dunleavy is what ultimately led me to put Seattle over Utah but its awfully close.  I think Portland, Seattle, and Utah are all playoff teams here.   Denver is a strong "team of the future" candidate but I'm not sure how well they do in the present.   Minnesota has some good youth but I'm not sold on their frontcourt.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This was a tough one to call from 2-5 but I finally came up with this:

1) Portland
2) Seattle
3) Utah
4) Denver
5) Minnesota

The questionable health of Dunleavy is what ultimately led me to put Seattle over Utah but its awfully close.  I think Portland, Seattle, and Utah are all playoff teams here.   Denver is a strong "team of the future" candidate but I'm not sure how well they do in the present.   Minnesota has some good youth but I'm not sold on their frontcourt.

That's the way I have been seeing it.  I think the Randolph factor is going to sink Minn.

« Reply #284 on: August 11, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »

• Don Chaney

Here's how Ford has done against Bibby in 10 career matchups:

Wins: Bibby - 8, Ford - 2
PPG: Bibby - 20.1, Ford 13.4
RPG: Bibby - 4.1, Ford 2.9
APG: Bibby - 6.6, Ford 6.7
TPG: Bibby - 2.2, Ford 3.1
PF/G: Bibby - 1.9, Ford 3.0
FG%: Bibby - 46.8%, Ford - 47.9%
3PT%: Bibby - 37.1%, Ford - 0.0%

Link.

In other words, I'm not sure that the Ford / Bibby mismatch is in your favor.

Also, while Ben Gordon has scored fairly well against Michael Redd in the past (20.8 ppg), Redd has torched him on the other end (28.4 ppg).

I think those stats are fairly to be expected, but take into account Ford will not be asked to carry a scoring load, and is being surrounded with a better team then he's ever had. For a point guard, that could and should be important. Dahntay Jones will see time on Redd along with Ben Gordon.

I wish there was a real solid way to settle these debates, just because this would be absolutely must-see viewing. A real life CBNBA Portland-Seattle, Seattle-Utah, or any of these other hypothetical series' would be amazing.