Author Topic: Why I Stopped Reading Your Blog  (Read 23600 times)

Re: Why I Stopped Reading Your Blog
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm sorry, but the original poster is allowed to express his feelings and you guys are ridiculously immature in the way you are handling his statements.

This site should be about Celtics and the nba.  That's the way it's always been and don't tell me other wise because I've been here before most of, if not all of the posters on this particular topic. 

This is not a red sox site.  This is not a patriots site, nor bruins, nor rate my pet, nor rate my girlfriend, nor super off topic off topic thread,

HOWEVER-

This blog has evolved over the years and people have made nice on the board so they want to share personal experiences that are non- basketball related, which is fine.  "Cancer awareness" thread will sum up all the positive aspects of non- celtics talk.  

The problem is not with the front page.  I like the main links and appreciate how the fan posts are getting incorporated into the main blog.  The problem is the topics of the forum, and I propose a way to fix that.

There are times when the forum is filled with non-  celtics topics (fantasy basketball threads sound familiar? -insert insult now fantasy members because I'm sure your angry) and the only way to combat that is to keep the "latest forum topics" limited to maybe only one off topic thread.

Other wise there is no control of what people want to talk about. 

I understand what "ortho" or whatever his name is saying, and you guys should listen with open ears instead of treating him like a faker fan troll, accusing him of using a fake screen name?  Are you serious? Don't be a hater, that's what Kobe would do. 

I don't think there is a problem with the forums at all.  As nick likes to describe Celticsblog, it's not strictly a place to discuss the Celtics.  Instead, it's a place where Celtics fans can gather and talk about just about anything (although usually the Celtics.)

If posters want to only talk about the Celtics in the forums, there's a fairly easy fix:  only navigate inside the Celtics Talk forum.  That way, talk is confined to only the Celtics.  If a non-Celtics topic shows up on the Latest Forum Topics, as wdleehi says, ignore it.

As to the origins of Celticsblog, I can't speak to that.  However, as long as I've been here (since February 2005) we've had Around the NBA and Off-topic sections.  We've added some new forums (the Community forum, the Other Sports forum, etc.), but we've always allowed off-topic discussion for at least four years.

I absolutely think that Ortho has a right to his opinion, and he's exercised his right 1) to communicate his thoughts, and 2) to do something about it (by choosing to leave the blog).  I'm not sure that he went about things the right way -- normally, a largely quiet member of the community shouting "I'm leaving" is only going to get people respond with "Don't let the door hit you on the way out -- but the staff has taken steps to keep personal attacks out of this.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I think the original poster comes across poorly in the way he presented the criticism, so a lot of people are getting hung up on that.  However, we welcome criticism and I am open to hearing suggestions on how to make the site a better place.

Should we close this thread and start a new one called "Ways to make CelticsBlog better"?  I'll leave it up to the mods.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I think right now
Its the perfect time for

GROUP HUG!!!!!!!

Steve we all love u here

p.s. Isnt there already one Ways to make CB better thread jefe?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'm sorry, but the original poster is allowed to express his feelings and you guys are ridiculously immature in the way you are handling his statements.

This site should be about Celtics and the nba.  That's the way it's always been and don't tell me other wise because I've been here before most of, if not all of the posters on this particular topic. 

This is not a red sox site.  This is not a patriots site, nor bruins, nor rate my pet, nor rate my girlfriend, nor super off topic off topic thread,

HOWEVER-

This blog has evolved over the years and people have made nice on the board so they want to share personal experiences that are non- basketball related, which is fine.  "Cancer awareness" thread will sum up all the positive aspects of non- celtics talk.  

The problem is not with the front page.  I like the main links and appreciate how the fan posts are getting incorporated into the main blog.  The problem is the topics of the forum, and I propose a way to fix that.

There are times when the forum is filled with non-  celtics topics (fantasy basketball threads sound familiar? -insert insult now fantasy members because I'm sure your angry) and the only way to combat that is to keep the "latest forum topics" limited to maybe only one off topic thread.

Other wise there is no control of what people want to talk about. 

I understand what "ortho" or whatever his name is saying, and you guys should listen with open ears instead of treating him like a faker fan troll, accusing him of using a fake screen name?  Are you serious? Don't be a hater, that's what Kobe would do. 

Everything on CelticsBlog is not for everyone. 

I pay no attention to the soccer talk, a lot of the multimedia.

I never have issues.  I don't use the "latest forum topics" option.  I go straight into the forum.  If I see a board I am interested highlighted, I go in.  I ignore the boards I am not interested in.

Me too.  I'm not really interested in much that has nothing to do with the Celtics, so I just ignore them.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The only reason I would ever stop reading Celticsblog would be so I would not have to look at those god awful pictures of the before and after stomachs of some gross beer gut. Yuch.

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Should we close this thread and start a new one called "Ways to make CelticsBlog better"?  I'll leave it up to the mods.

I'm going to keep this thread open for now, but also started a "What would you change about Celticsblog" thread, found here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The only reason I would ever stop reading Celticsblog would be so I would not have to look at those god awful pictures of the before and after stomachs of some gross beer gut. Yuch.

yea, are we due for an ad change anytime soon? that ad is awful.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The two major things about why I love this Blog:

1) In the forums, its evident that there is a higher standard.  This isn't the ESPN or CBS boards where its just a bunch of namecalling and nonsense going on.  Our posting guidelines are held to a pretty high regards and those people tend to get weeded out here.  Also, there are some extremely knowledgable people on here.  Some are statheads, others going by feel.  It leads to a lot of interesting debate that you just don't see on message boards.  Good stuff.

2) This has a community feel and I love the fact that we can talk about the Sox, politics, current events, whatever.  I love the Celtics but there are times where I just don't feel like rehashing the same subject for the fifth time.  I can't come up with something entirely fresh on a day to day basis, sometimes.  The ability to talk about non-Celtics related topics allows me to keep active on here when I just can't muster up something about the Celtics.

I can understand the original posters complaint but its extremely difficult to come up with new, fresh content on a daily basis about the Celtics.  Its a long, arduous season and if you used an extremely narrow spectrum of just Celtics-related stuff on here, I really think it would be a detriment to this website and I honestly don't think you'd see as much activity here in the forums.  The NBA stuff is great because it does allow you to see what's going on with other teams around the league and that does, albeit sometimes indirectly, affect the Celtics.  Jeff, Steve, FL, Roy and many others work extremely hard to bring some great content to this site and its much appreciated.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
May I suggest working on those finger-ceps?  Also, don't forget to do your stretching before EVERY TIME YOU USE THE INTERNET.

That way, you can school down the page when there's something you don't want to read.

I've been working on my finger-ceps for years, and now I can surf the internet AND not read what I don't like.

It's 100% true and amazing.  Try it out sometime.

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
i noticed other teams blog dont have their own forum. they mostly chat about the game on the comments at the frontpage. it was pointed out by a non celtic fan on their blog that there are few comments on ours. they didnt know that a lot was going on at the game thread and our posts are twice as many as theirs

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
i noticed other teams blog dont have their own forum. they mostly chat about the game on the comments at the frontpage. it was pointed out by a non celtic fan on their blog that there are few comments on ours. they didnt know that a lot was going on at the game thread and our posts are twice as many as theirs

Yep, Celticsblog has the privilege of being the only blog on all of SBN that has forums or chat.  The network worked with us closely to adapt the SBN template to allow for CB's unique content.

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i really enjoy this site...i don't visit other nba forums and the only other site i visit for nba news is hoopshype (like their "rumor" section from all the other newspapers / links).

i used to visit the 2 boston newspapers, but since i've been around here i never visit them unless i use a link from the homepage.

great job here, guys...it's amazing how certain websites take off and you guys that put this together should be used as a model for how other sport websites should function.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
2) This has a community feel and I love the fact that we can talk about the Sox, politics, current events, whatever.  I love the Celtics but there are times where I just don't feel like rehashing the same subject for the fifth time.  I can't come up with something entirely fresh on a day to day basis, sometimes.  The ability to talk about non-Celtics related topics allows me to keep active on here when I just can't muster up something about the Celtics.

And the thing I love about the Non-Celtic stuff, is that there are tons of Celtics references interlaced within them.  I could be reading a thread about anything from politics, to baseball, to movies, to whatever and someone makes a comparison or drops a joke about someone like Gerald Green or Antoine or Scal.  Is there any other place that while you're talking about politcs you can make a reference or joke about Gerald, Antoine, or Scal, and not have everyone else look at you like you're speaking a foreign language?  I think not.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class