Author Topic: Why I Stopped Reading Your Blog  (Read 23528 times)

Re: Why I Stopped Reading Your Blog
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Thanks to many of you for the kind words.  It's a privilege to write for all of you.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
um... just because it's posted doesn't mean you have to read it...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's the thing I don't get.  The daily babble did not replace Celtics content, it supplemented it.  There is as much, if not more Celtics content than ever on this blog, but it just now also has some excellent content for those who are basketball fans, rather than only Celtics fans.  If you aren't interested in it, just scroll down to the Celtics entry, which is inevitably right below it. 

This is the beauty of Blogs.  It is not like a newspaper, where there is a limited amount of room, and to add one article, you need to get rid of another one.  On a blog, you can just keep adding more and more content, so the readers can pick and choose, if they aren't interested in a particular article.

What Chris said.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Thanks to many of you for the kind words.  It's a privilege to write for all of you.

-sw

i enjoy your material...(just so you know that wasn't a joke...)  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I am one of the biggest Celtics homers around.  I live and breathe the Celtics.  But, I personally enjoy Steve's Daily Babble.  Since the Celtics play in the NBA what affects other teams also affects the Celtics.  Sooner or later, the Celtics will be playing the other teams that Steve writes about and I like to keep up on the competition.   No team is an island and so we have to consider the Celtics in context of all the other teams they play.   For that, I very much appreciate Steve's articles. 

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I know the comment was directed more at the front page, but when one looks at the reality of the situation, one sees that this is first and foremost a Celtics blog. 

As IP noted above, the majority of the content in the main blog on the front page is Celtics related; there are two non-Celtics Daily Babble posts, and a link about beating the Lakers, and the rest is Celtics content.  The Fanposts and Fanshots are both heavily Celtics oriented, as well.

Then, there are the forums.  Here is the breakdown:

Celtics Talk:  57,953 posts
Game Threads: 15,311 posts
Trade Ideas: 4,174 posts (usually Celtics related)

Around the NBA: 16,128 posts
The Draft: 2,754 posts (usually Celtics related)

Off-Topic: 23,261 posts
Other Sports: 6,647 posts

Community: 5,087 posts

What those numbers show is that the clear majority of the posts and content on here is Celtics related.  However, there's also a very clear demand for discussion of things that extend beyond the sphere of the immediate team.

I understand the complaints that "This is a Celtics blog", and therefore that the majority of the content should be Celtics-related.  I agree with that.  However, the fact is, our blog already matches that description.

(Also, the Daily Babble has been going for, what, a year now?  It's not like this is a new development, or is in any way related to the switch to SBN.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Roy, I don't think you have to defend the makeup of this blog.

The Celtics are indeed the subject, but Steve provides essential, expert context for the subplots of the season.

He is one of the top elements of this blog. If there are those who disapprove, sorry. However, I want a full, complete picture of the NBA - not just 18 "Free POB" threads.

Write on, Mr. Steve.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'd been reading this blog for a few years. It was nice because it focused on the Celtics. I stopped reading it because it didn't focus on the Celtics anymore, but the league as a whole. After "Daily Babble" was introduced, it eventually got to a point where some weeks more than half the posts weren't even about the Celtics. Do you see the problem here? If I wanted a blog with a general perspective on the league I would read TrueHoop, or one of the other countless blogs dedicated to the league as a whole, but that's not why I first started coming here -- I started coming here so I could read about just the Celtics. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that other people feel the same way as me.

I Think you should grow some kahunas and post under your real screen name!
 Instead you post under "ortho" and keep reading under your real name, what a wimp. You can't even post your own opinion in you real name you and need to hide behind...........ortho!  LOL  pretty lame.

Sounds like Gomesfan knows something
we don't. Please elaborate!  ;)

Other than that, I think you guys
kind of said it all. I rest my case.

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 01:28:45 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
There are 10 posts on the front page. 3 are not about the Celtics, and one of those is in appreciation of MLK.

Frankly speaking I wouldn't trade Steve W's daily babble column for the world. He's one of the best bloggers on the net, his stories ALWAYS bring something new to the forefront, even if the story is nationally covered. I dare you to read all Jeff's posts, all FLCeltsFans' Celtics related daily links, on the front page. There aren't enough hours left in the day.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but in that same vein, I would hazard to say that the opinion of the readers of this forum and this blog are fans of the Daily Babble, and feel quite the same way I do.

+1 TP.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 02:42:48 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Roy, I don't think you have to defend the makeup of this blog.

The Celtics are indeed the subject, but Steve provides essential, expert context for the subplots of the season.

He is one of the top elements of this blog. If there are those who disapprove, sorry. However, I want a full, complete picture of the NBA - not just 18 "Free POB" threads.

Write on, Mr. Steve.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
its really okay as it is. no need for subtractions.. oh maybe a few distracting ads  ;D but thats tolerable enough.

its stuff like the daily babble and my favorite, boxed out, that makes our blog really unique than a pure homer blogs like others have

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Hey Steve

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Ortho, are you looking for an "elvis on sirius" type of deal here with blog posts? I'm curious about your preference... Would you rather no blog at all on the certain days Celtic content is exhausted?  I suppose from a "purist" standpoint I can see what your saying... My preference is different because I feel the great posters here fill in any Celtic talk gap.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm sorry, but the original poster is allowed to express his feelings and you guys are ridiculously immature in the way you are handling his statements.

This site should be about Celtics and the nba.  That's the way it's always been and don't tell me other wise because I've been here before most of, if not all of the posters on this particular topic. 

This is not a red sox site.  This is not a patriots site, nor bruins, nor rate my pet, nor rate my girlfriend, nor super off topic off topic thread,

HOWEVER-

This blog has evolved over the years and people have made nice on the board so they want to share personal experiences that are non- basketball related, which is fine.  "Cancer awareness" thread will sum up all the positive aspects of non- celtics talk.  

The problem is not with the front page.  I like the main links and appreciate how the fan posts are getting incorporated into the main blog.  The problem is the topics of the forum, and I propose a way to fix that.

There are times when the forum is filled with non-  celtics topics (fantasy basketball threads sound familiar? -insert insult now fantasy members because I'm sure your angry) and the only way to combat that is to keep the "latest forum topics" limited to maybe only one off topic thread.

Other wise there is no control of what people want to talk about. 

I understand what "ortho" or whatever his name is saying, and you guys should listen with open ears instead of treating him like a faker fan troll, accusing him of using a fake screen name?  Are you serious? Don't be a hater, that's what Kobe would do. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:23:27 AM by Wide Load »
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 08:24:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'm sorry, but the original poster is allowed to express his feelings and you guys are ridiculously immature in the way you are handling his statements.

This site should be about Celtics and the nba.  That's the way it's always been and don't tell me other wise because I've been here before most of, if not all of the posters on this particular topic. 

This is not a red sox site.  This is not a patriots site, nor bruins, nor rate my pet, nor rate my girlfriend, nor super off topic off topic thread,

HOWEVER-

This blog has evolved over the years and people have made nice on the board so they want to share personal experiences that are non- basketball related, which is fine.  "Cancer awareness" thread will sum up all the positive aspects of non- celtics talk.  

The problem is not with the front page.  I like the main links and appreciate how the fan posts are getting incorporated into the main blog.  The problem is the topics of the forum, and I propose a way to fix that.

There are times when the forum is filled with non-  celtics topics (fantasy basketball threads sound familiar? -insert insult now fantasy members because I'm sure your angry) and the only way to combat that is to keep the "latest forum topics" limited to maybe only one off topic thread.

Other wise there is no control of what people want to talk about. 

I understand what "ortho" or whatever his name is saying, and you guys should listen with open ears instead of treating him like a faker fan troll, accusing him of using a fake screen name?  Are you serious? Don't be a hater, that's what Kobe would do. 

Everything on CelticsBlog is not for everyone. 

I pay no attention to the soccer talk, a lot of the multimedia.

I never have issues.  I don't use the "latest forum topics" option.  I go straight into the forum.  If I see a board I am interested highlighted, I go in.  I ignore the boards I am not interested in.