Author Topic: NBA Salary Cap/GM trivia question.  (Read 2907 times)

NBA Salary Cap/GM trivia question.
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:39:41 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The first one to answer correctly gets a TP.  Feel free to make up your own salary cap/GM trivia questions after.

Question 1:

“Team A” has a player who expires after a 4-year/80 million dollar contract putting the team 15 million under the salary cap. Team A would like to resign this player but is also eying some key free agents. How much of the 15 Million (not including MLE and LLE) can the team spend on free agency while still maintaining Bird-rights of the player who recently expired?

Re: NBA Salary Cap/GM trivia question.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm going with "none." 4 yrs, 80 mill means he was making 20 per season, so the team was 5 mil over the cap before his contract ended. I thought in order to pursue free agents while maintaining bird rights, a team needed to have a hold on their salary that would allow for a maximum extension, and, since said player was earning 20 already, he'd be due some raises. I'm probably wrong, though. Also, wouldn't the team need to forfeit the MLE in order to pursue free agents and maintain bird rights?

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, the cap hold would eliminate any cap space, unless 1) the team renounced the player, or 2) the team signed him to a reduced deal that still left them below the salary cap.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 12:40:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The first one to answer correctly gets a TP.  Feel free to make up your own salary cap/GM trivia questions after.

Question 1:

“Team A” has a player who expires after a 4-year/80 million dollar contract putting the team 15 million under the salary cap. Team A would like to resign this player but is also eying some key free agents. How much of the 15 Million (not including MLE and LLE) can the team spend on free agency while still maintaining Bird-rights of the player who recently expired?

15 million since this players cap hold is not effecting the cap room. 

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Question 1:

15 million since this players cap hold is not effecting the cap room. 

From what I've read and understood Roy had it right...

But maybe theres something I'm missing?

Anyone else have cap trivia?

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:22:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
hey wait! Roy and i had the same answer! Roy agreed with me in his post! i want my TP.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
hey wait! Roy and i had the same answer! Roy agreed with me in his post! i want my TP.

I gave you a TP too ;)

A TP goes out to whoever makes the Next GM trivia question!