Author Topic: Celticsblog Fantasy Roster Review  (Read 152915 times)

Re: Celticsblog Fantasy Roster Review
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I guess it's time to post the finished product:

Horford / Battie / Mourning
Amare / Haslem / Wright
Gay / Webster
Iguodala / Mobley / Ross
Ford / Blake / Atkins / Ukic

Overseas:  Pekovic, Asik, Erden, Arroyo

I think that team can compete with anybody.  It's got elite talent, depth, role players, shooters, defenders...  And the great thing is, nobody in the core is older than 25, yet four of the starters have serious playoff experience.

I wouldn't say Horford has 'serious' playoff experience.

Still he's not your average guy going into his second season.  Yes, he's only played in 1 playoff series in the pros but he did play in two national title games in the NCAAs.  In my book, that counts for big game experience.  Same goes for guys who've played for their national teams in World Championships and/or Olympics but not necessarily the NBA playoffs.  IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Amare / Haslem / Wright
Gay / Webster
Iguodala / Mobley / Ross

I think that team can compete with anybody.  It's got elite talent, depth, role players, shooters, defenders...  And the great thing is, nobody in the core is older than 25, yet four of the starters have serious playoff experience.

I hope everyone can see Roy is setting up a nice little farm system overseas.

Criticism #1: You don't have enough shooters to spread the floor.

Wait wait...Webster, Blake, Atkins, Mobley, Gay...thats 4 guys that can hit a 3...nevermind.

Criticism #2: You don't have enough depth in the frontcourt

This one to me is somewhat legitimate. Haslem did start for a world champion and Mourning did put in a lot of time for that same team, as well as play pretty effectively last season but..

-Mourning MIGHT be ready by December. But he's old, and coming off of massive injury. I know he won't be relied upon much, because Horford could play 60 mins a night at this stage in his career, but its worth mentioning that he's a crapshoot.

-Battie took a year off last season. Who knows what to expect from him this season

I said those points so I can say this point. you've got Horford at the 5. He'll be in his sophomore season, and last season he averaged about 1 foul per 10 mins. That tells me that most games he's going to be ok, but it also tells me that a there will be a number of games that he gets limited by foul trouble. Also, he's the smaller of the two between himself and Amare, which means he'll be a target in the post for bigger guys. That makes the backups kind of important.

The answer I can see to that is Amare slides over to the 5 and the more than capable Haslem takes the 4, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thats all i got for now.

(it should also be mentioned for the intentions of honesty that Perk averaged almost the exact same number of fouls (5) per 40 mins as Horford, and the Celtics did alright last season)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2008, 09:05:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Amare / Haslem / Wright
Gay / Webster
Iguodala / Mobley / Ross

I hope everyone can see Roy is setting up a nice little farm system overseas.

Criticism #1: You don't have enough shooters to spread the floor.

Wait wait...Webster, Blake, Atkins, Mobley, Gay...thats 4 guys that can hit a 3...nevermind.

Criticism #2: You don't have enough depth in the frontcourt

This one to me is somewhat legitimate. Haslem did start for a world champion and Mourning did put in a lot of time for that same team, as well as play pretty effectively last season but..

-Mourning MIGHT be ready by December. But he's old, and coming off of massive injury. I know he won't be relied upon much, because Horford could play 60 mins a night at this stage in his career, but its worth mentioning that he's a crapshoot.

-Battie took a year off last season. Who knows what to expect from him this season

I said those points so I can say this point. you've got Horford at the 5. He'll be in his sophomore season, and last season he averaged about 1 foul per 10 mins. That tells me that most games he's going to be ok, but it also tells me that a there will be a number of games that he gets limited by foul trouble. Also, he's the smaller of the two between himself and Amare, which means he'll be a target in the post for bigger guys. That makes the backups kind of important.

The answer I can see to that is Amare slides over to the 5 and the more than capable Haslem takes the 4, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thats all i got for now.

(it should also be mentioned for the intentions of honesty that Perk averaged almost the exact same number of fouls (5) per 40 mins as Horford, and the Celtics did alright last season)

This teams biggest concern is PG.  Ford is a small PG with back issues.  Can he stand up for the 82 games PLUS the 16 wins needed in the playoffs? 

The insurance PGs are not good enough to keep this team on a title quest. 

« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what I get out of Battie and Mourning this year, IP.  Everything I read says that Battie is completely healthy this year, and it's not like he's had a history of injuries with his rotator cuff, so he should be fine. 

If he's not, Brandan Wright will play a larger role in the rotation.  You can't tell me that Wright is any worse than Glen Davis or Leon Powe, both of whom were big components of a championship team last season.

And yes, as you point out, both Amare and Horford are capable of playing center.  There's also the possibility that we play some small ball; 28% of Rudy Gay's minutes were at power forward last year, and I think you'll see some of that situationally in Portland this year.  If you'd got a 6'9" athletic freak, you may as well use him to create some matchup problems.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #649 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
This teams biggest concern is PG.  Ford is a small PG with back issues.  Can he stand up for the 82 games PLUS the 16 wins needed in the playoffs?

The insurance PGs are not good enough to keep this team on a title quest. 

I think Ford will be fine.  If he isn't, though, Steve Blake is a very capable starter, and Chucky Atkins is a very solid backup.  Obviously, if any one of my starters goes down there will be some problems, but I'm pretty sure that's the case with every team in the league.  Luckily, spinal cord injuries are a relative rarity, and I don't expect them to recur with Ford.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #650 on: August 22, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what I get out of Battie and Mourning this year, IP.  Everything I read says that Battie is completely healthy this year, and it's not like he's had a history of injuries with his rotator cuff, so he should be fine. 

If he's not, Brandan Wright will play a larger role in the rotation.  You can't tell me that Wright is any worse than Glen Davis or Leon Powe, both of whom were big components of a championship team last season.

And yes, as you point out, both Amare and Horford are capable of playing center.  There's also the possibility that we play some small ball; 28% of Rudy Gay's minutes were at power forward last year, and I think you'll see some of that situationally in Portland this year.  If you'd got a 6'9" athletic freak, you may as well use him to create some matchup problems.

in the nba 2k8 game he's actually listed as paying sg...

anyways, roy's team is a very good and solid team with a potent front court but it's not unbeatable by an means, despite the god like reputation it has seemed to gain in the forums.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #651 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

anyways, roy's team is a very good and solid team with a potent front court but it's not unbeatable by an means, despite the god like reputation it has seemed to gain in the forums.

Haha.  I'd like to see this "god like" reputation I keep hearing about.  People talk about my team being "anointed", about people being in love with my team, etc...  and all I see is people criticizing it. ;)  (Okay, I'm exaggerating for effect, but I don't think my team is as universally loved as has been alluded to.)

Anyway, *I'm* happy with it.  Rudy won't be playing shooting guard with my team; it's odd that 2k8 would list him there, but I guess it's due to his shooting and mobility.  Still, it's not a position he has a lot of experience with in the pros.

« Reply #652 on: August 23, 2008, 08:06:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Haha.  I'd like to see this "god like" reputation I keep hearing about.  People talk about my team being "anointed", about people being in love with my team, etc...  and all I see is people criticizing it. ;)  (Okay, I'm exaggerating for effect, but I don't think my team is as universally loved as has been alluded to.)

Anyway, *I'm* happy with it.  Rudy won't be playing shooting guard with my team; it's odd that 2k8 would list him there, but I guess it's due to his shooting and mobility.  Still, it's not a position he has a lot of experience with in the pros.

You guys ever go that extra mile just to prove someone wrong? Well I just did. I went back and played with the URL until I found the archives for the 06/07 season on 82games.com, so I could see how much Rudy has actually played the 2.

Roy was right, he's almost never played the 2. Hes played shooting guard less than he's played center.

EDIT: And..not I've found the link displayed nicely on the front page of 82games.com....STUPID, STUPID, STUPID....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:11:20 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #653 on: August 23, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Ok, here's the end product:

C: Darko Milicic (23)
PF: Chris Bosh (24)
SF: Kevin Durant (19)
SG: OJ Mayo (20)
PG: Chris Duhon (25)
-----------------------
6th: Rashad McCants (23) - SG
7th: Luke Walton (28) - SF
8th: Steven Hunter (26) - C
9th: Speedy Claxton (30) - PG
10th: Nick Fazekas (23) - PF
11th: Rasual Butler (29) - SG
12th: Donyell Marshall (35) - PF
13th: Devean George (30) - SF
14th: Jeff McInnis (33) - PG
15th: Nathan Jawai (21) – C

-----------------------

Carlos Delfino (25) - SG
Anté Tomic (21) - C
Artem Zabelin (20) - PF/C
Petteri Koponen (20) - PG

C: Milicic – Hunter – Jawai
PF: Bosh – Fazekas – Marshall
SF: Durant – Walton – George
SG: Mayo – McCants – Butler
PG: Duhon – Claxton – McInnis

Carlos Delfino will be playing in Russia with Khimki BC for the 2008/09 season. He will be expected back in Vegas September 2009 to fulfil his contractual obligations.

Anté Tomic is also on our books but will play in Croatia with KK Zagreb this year, to return for Summer League next year.

Artem Zabelin will continue at CSKA Moscow in Russia for the upcoming season and will return next season for Summer League.

Petteri Koponen is currently playing for Virtus Bologna in Italy. The team has an option to bring him to the NBA next summer.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:53:24 PM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
PG.Jameer Nelson   Shaun Livingst.   Ty Lue
SG.Mike Dunleavy   Marko Jaric       Bobby Jackson
SF.FranciscoGarcia Bonzi Wells       Walter Hermann
PF.Carlos Boozer   Tyrus Thomas      "Birdman" Andersen
C.Pau Gasol        ZaZA               Mark Blount

Insurance Policy and Towel help and company at the bar in the arena.

16.Ruben Patterson
17.Michael Olowakandi
18.Vin Baker.

GM. Edgar
Owner. that Cuban guy and me, yes i just sell him 25% to keep people happy..they like him.

Head Coach. Carlos Melendez....yup he was my high school coach and better than half of NBA coaches on X Os
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:55 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Insurance Policy and Towel help and company at the bar in the arena.

16.Ruben Patterson
17.Michael Olowakandi
18.Vin Baker.

Low blow!

« Reply #656 on: February 10, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Houston Rockets-

Starting:
C - Shaquille O’neal.
PF - Troy Murphy
SF - Gerald Wallace
SG - Kevin Martin
PG - Tony Parker

Bench:
SF/PF - Lamar Odom
SF/PF - Tim Thomas
SG - Roger Mason Jr
SG - Michael Finley
PG - Luke Ridnour* (out 5 weeks)

PG - Damon Stoudamire
SF - Yakhouba Diawara
C - Robert Swift
PF -  Melvin Ely

Injured list:
C - Andrew Bogut (out for season)

====================================

My team is not winning a title, but around this time I'd say we'd be around 6 or 7 games above .500 and looking for a big with Center Bogut going down.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:55:14 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #657 on: February 10, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Roy... I must say, that starting lineup of yours is looking pretty shaky right now.

Gay and Amare are both being quite exposed as overrated, no D, inconsistent players with sour attitudes this year.

Go Wolves!   ;)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #658 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Roy... I must say, that starting lineup of yours is looking pretty shaky right now.

Gay and Amare are both being quite exposed as overrated, no D, inconsistent players with sour attitudes this year.

Go Wolves!   ;)

Well, Phoenix has been a mess; let's withhold judgment until Amare is traded to a better situation.  I mean, when Steve Nash of all players is griping to the media, you know things aren't going well.  I'd love to see him traded to Portland, because that would be the closest thing possible to seeing how this experiment plays out in real life.

« Reply #659 on: February 10, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Go Wolves!   ;)

Well, Phoenix has been a mess; let's withhold judgment until Amare is traded to a better situation.  I mean, when Steve Nash of all players is griping to the media, you know things aren't going well.  I'd love to see him traded to Portland, because that would be the closest thing possible to seeing how this experiment plays out in real life.

I can tell you someone who hasn't been a mess: The FAKE Phoenix Suns.

Conley: Improving
Roy: one of the best 2's in the league
Butler: He's a mean mean machina.
Nene: can you say 15 and 9? Holla. CALLED IT.
Perkins: We know whats goin on here.

Ariza: Playing very well this year
Etan Thomas: Done for the year
A Daniels: Less of a factor this season
Channing Frye: No playing much
Morris Almond/Donte Greene...still comin along.