Author Topic: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter  (Read 30290 times)

Re: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
This thread is disgusting.

We all know Leon should have seen more PT last night, but if we win the game this thread doesn't exist IMO.

Nobody cuts Doc ANY slack.

Remember when BBD came up huge for us vs. the pistons in the regular season?

I didn't hear anybody complaining for more Powe then.

Don't get me wrong, I"m the biggest Leown Powe fan out here, but I stand by Doc and his decisions NO MATTER WHAT!

Baby looked lost last night so I expect Doc to bounce back with Leon at home tomorrow night, but whatever he decides i stand by his decision and i suggest you all do as well.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

We all know Leon should have seen more PT last night, but if we win the game this thread doesn't exist IMO.

I don't even know if this is true.  Davis played decent, and Perkins played great again.  I just don't think Powe would have made much of a difference in that game, because I don't think he would have had much more luck than anyone else at getting the ball up around the basket.  The way Detroit was collapsing on the inside, there was no room to sneak shots up.  You needed to go over the top of everyone, and Powe doesn't have the ability to do that. 

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500

Don't get me wrong, I"m the biggest Leown Powe fan out here, but I stand by Doc and his decisions NO MATTER WHAT!

Baby looked lost last night so I expect Doc to bounce back with Leon at home tomorrow night, but whatever he decides i stand by his decision and i suggest you all do as well.

Why do you stand by Doc just for the sake of standing by him? If you dont agree with what hes doing, then you dont have to stand by him. And dont call yourself the biggest leon powe fan out there if you dont get mad at Doc for not playing during a game in which he could have made a difference.

Ya we remember the game when Big Baby played well against the Pistons, the only reason people werent calling for Powe then is because he never saw a solid amount of minutes until january 16, 11 days after davis' game against detroit. Since then, he has done enough to earn playing time especially when we need energy off the bench. Doc failed to do that last night.

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
As the person who created this thread, I would like to point out that I created it when the Celtics had a huge energy/scoring lull during GAME 2.  That it has lasted until now is a testament to the desire of people on this blog to see the Celtics top bench big in the regular season get some meaningful minutes (top as measured statistically via PER and more traditional metrics) + Doc's failure to do so.

Why do you stand by Doc just for the sake of standing by him? If you dont agree with what hes doing, then you dont have to stand by him. And dont call yourself the biggest leon powe fan out there if you dont get mad at Doc for not playing during a game in which he could have made a difference.

Ya we remember the game when Big Baby played well against the Pistons, the only reason people werent calling for Powe then is because he never saw a solid amount of minutes until january 16, 11 days after davis' game against detroit. Since then, he has done enough to earn playing time especially when we need energy off the bench. Doc failed to do that last night.

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
As the person who created this thread, I would like to point out that I created it when the Celtics had a huge energy/scoring lull during GAME 2.  That it has lasted until now is a testament to the desire of people on this blog to see the Celtics top bench big in the regular season get some meaningful minutes (top as measured statistically via PER and more traditional metrics) + Doc's failure to do so.

Absolutely, and it is a legit argument.  But there is also a legit argument against it.  Specifically that he is a bad matchup against the Pistons because of his weakness in the team defensive scheme, and that his relative lack of effectiveness in the playoffs so far (I don't care about the numbers...he just hasn't been the same player), lead to the assumption that he won't be able to make up for his weakness the way he did in the regular season.

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 06:08:11 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

I don't even know if this is true.  Davis played decent, and Perkins played great again.  I just don't think Powe would have made much of a difference in that game, because I don't think he would have had much more luck than anyone else at getting the ball up around the basket.  The way Detroit was collapsing on the inside, there was no room to sneak shots up.  You needed to go over the top of everyone, and Powe doesn't have the ability to do that. 
I agree with you here,BBD can't get his shot off,and Leon is not an outside shooter,so whats going to be any better with him,nothing.I would like to see Scali get activated before this series is over,and see if he can help out.Im thinking Scali could bring a Big out of the paint to gaurd him on D,because he always a 3pt threat.Also,he helps spread the offense better than BBD or Powe.At the moment,we are getting killed inside,because thats the only game BBD/Powe bring to the floor on offense.

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »

• Bill Walton

And dont call yourself the biggest leon powe fan out there if you dont get mad at Doc for not playing during a game in which he could have made a difference.

Did you even read what you wrote?

COULD have made a difference! COULD HAVE!

You second guess Doc for not making a move which carried no guarantee.

And you wanted him in for whom? BBD? Baby didn't even play that poorly....4 rebounds in 11 minutes.

Stop 2nd guessing your coach just because you are highly opinionated! It makes me want to throw up in my own mouth and I believe Leon Powe was this year's Most Improved Player!

Again, if we win that game you most likely stay mute and don't praise DOC for going with BBD, but BBD didn't have his best performance, so you call out Doc for not putting in Leon. You're simply no better than the media.

You've got to understand that a con for being such a deep team is that Doc has a lot of options. Since he has so many options he can't be right all the time. What's important is that he's right when it counts (i.e. in every swing game this post-season).

Feel free to call out:

Rondo - for not showing up/making poor decisions/turning down open shots
Posey - for throwing up that prayer (which Rip blocked) late in the 4th in crunch time - there were 9 seconds on that shot clock when he tossed that prayer up!
Ray Ray - for being afraid to shoot/missing 2 free throws in crunch time
Cassell - for showing us all how to successfully NOT hit a shot while at the same time not having a single assist in 16 minutes playing with 3 hall-of-famers to be

...but PLEASE for the love of Zeus' beard please don't call out Doc for playing these guys

Also, not to go all stat boy on you but Leon Powe didn't see a single second of PT on Jan 16th...His first 14+ minute game came on Jan 18th  ;)

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »

• Bill Walton
The defence rests... ;)

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Thanks for passing that along -- I very much like when these discussions involve actual evidence.  I totally believe you on the rotations -- I side with John Hollinger of ESPN in believing the other upsides to Powe outweigh his rotation troubles.

Just to confirm what I was saying, here is Doc talking about Powe's trouble with the rotations, and how good Perk, Garnett, PJ, and even Baby are at rotating compared to Powe (start listening at about the 12 minute mark).

http://audio.weei.com/m/19948987/doc_rivers.htm

I agree with this in general...except that for some reason, his "other upsides" have been lacking.  In the majority of the games he has not been nearly as effective on the offensive side of the ball, or rebounding as he was in the regular season.

There are lots of theories for why, but I personally just think it is because interior defense steps up about 5 notches in the playoffs, so it makes it so much tougher to get anything done in there...especially when you are undersized.  He did much of his damage in the regular season, when the defenses weren't rotating to him off of plays by perimeter players.  So far in the playoffs, those rotations have been there.

So if he is not giving you a lot more offensively, than the defense stands out that much more.

I also would argue that because every time up the court is so much more important, that changes the philosophy.  Defense is MUCH more important than offense in the playoffs.

<<<I agree with this in general...except that for some reason, his "other upsides" have been lacking.  In the majority of the games he has not been nearly as effective on the offensive side of the ball, or rebounding as he was in the regular season.>>>

Maybe his "other upsides" are lacking because Powe has played 6,4,0,7,8,3,0, and one minute in the past 8 games. Now I know Rivers knows more about the game of basketball and his players than I do, but I don't think you can say for a fact Powe's "other upsides" are lacking because he's been playing poorly.
How can anybody judge whether Powe can rebound, take charges or score in exactly 3.62 minutes a game since Powe has been relegated to the doghouse? Can you, Chris?  Rivers didn't even start playing Powe until approximately the 38th game of the year which probably has a direct correlation to Garnett's injury. I'm of the opinion Rivers doesn't really know what Powe can do but perhaps only what he perceives Powe can't do.... which is being quicker and or smarter on his rotations.  I still question this inability of Powe's because for somebody who can't make the rotations as fast as all on this board want Powe to make them, Powe comes up with a lot of charges....meaning he has to be in the right defensive position in the first place.

<<<There are lots of theories for why, but I personally just think it is because interior defense steps up about 5 notches in the playoffs, so it makes it so much tougher to get anything done in there...especially when you are undersized.  He did much of his damage in the regular season, when the defenses weren't rotating to him off of plays by perimeter players.  So far in the playoffs, those rotations have been there.>>>

Again, if you take the playoff games where Powe has played 10 minutes or more, Powe has average 7.2 pts and 4.1 rebs per game on an average of 19 minutes per game (9 games). In five of those games Powe went for 10, 10, 9, 12, and 11 points.  Yeah, maybe Powe can't put these numbers up against the Pistons, but it's not because he's playing poorly but because he's not playing enough. Even in the playoffs, when given a chance, Powe has done pretty well.

<<<So if he is not giving you a lot more offensively, than the defense stands out that much more.>>>

As far as I can tell, Powe has been given absolutely no opportunity to do anything from an offensive standpoint in the last 8 games. Really an unfair statement about Powe, Chris. Hell, he hasn't even been given much of a chance to f**k up on the defensive end either.

<<<I also would argue that because every time up the court is so much more important, that changes the philosophy.  Defense is MUCH more important than offense in the playoffs.>>>

Whatever defensive lapses Powe has during a game he offsets them with a charge, an offensive board or getting fouls on opposing players. Since Davis is taking most of Powe's playing time over the past 8 games, I would say blocked shots are like turnovers and turnovers are just as bad as missing an assignment on a defensive rotation. And it seemed like the Celtics had a bit of "Poweitis" on the defensive end last night. I think you're going to get your wish by next year....Powe will probably be gone.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:48:43 PM by expobear »

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 06:48:43 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White

And dont call yourself the biggest leon powe fan out there if you dont get mad at Doc for not playing during a game in which he could have made a difference.

And you wanted him in for whom? BBD? Baby didn't even play that poorly....4 rebounds in 11 minutes.

Stop 2nd guessing your coach just because you are highly opinionated! It makes me want to throw up in my own mouth and I believe Leon Powe was this year's Most Improved Player!

Again, if we win that game you most likely stay mute and don't praise DOC for going with BBD, but BBD didn't have his best performance, so you call out Doc for not putting in Leon. You're simply no better than the media.

You've got to understand that a con for being such a deep team is that Doc has a lot of options. Since he has so many options he can't be right all the time. What's important is that he's right when it counts (i.e. in every swing game this post-season).

Feel free to call out:

Posey - for throwing up that prayer (which Rip blocked) late in the 4th in crunch time - there were 9 seconds on that shot clock when he tossed that prayer up!
Cassell - for showing us all how to successfully NOT hit a shot while at the same time not having a single assist in 16 minutes playing with 3 hall-of-famers to be

...but PLEASE for the love of Zeus' beard please don't call out Doc for playing these guys

Also, not to go all stat boy on you but Leon Powe didn't see a single second of PT on Jan 16th...His first 14+ minute game came on Jan 18th  ;)

16th..18th.. you get the point...

obvious it is "could have"... its called second guessing because you dont know for sure. Some day when Doc makes a decent in-game decision, we may find out. I dont believe that I was the only one screaming to give Powe some minutes during the game though. Last time I checked 4 rebounds in 11 minutes dont win games.
I do want to go stat boy on you right now though so here we go.

During the regular season Powe averaged more minutes per game (14.5 to 13.7), points (7.9 to 4.5), rebounds (4.1 to 3.0), better ft% (.710 to .660), better fg% (.572 to .484)

Glen Davis played 942 minutes in the regular season and Powe played 810 = Davis played 132 more minutes than Powe did.

So how is it that Powe hit 137 free throws and Davis took a combined 150 hitting only 99 of them?

How is it that Powe has 18 more blocks than Davis did?

How is it that Powe has 442 rebounds to Davis' 208?

And finally, How is it that Powe has scored almost 400 more points than Davis?

The answer is simple really. He is better and should be in the game more often than Glen Davis. ;)

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White

Feel free to call out:

Maybe you should read what I'm writing. I did not call out Doc for playing any of those guys. Cassell is the only one I'd call him out on because Cassell is hit or miss, literally. Whens he's missing, put in House or keep in Rondo because Rondo does more than Cassell out there. A poor shooting Rondo is worth more than a poor shooting Cassell. You dont blame Doc for leaving Cassell in the game for 16 minutes while he played as poorly as you just said he did? I dont believe that. House can do more than Cassell can, and he can add a spark off the bench. We lacked a spark last night and two guys that provide sparks off the bench sat the entire game... how does that not deserve criticism? I wont even get into the fact that he allowed Perkins to foul out so early in the fourth quarter.

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2008, 07:09:34 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

Feel free to call out:

obvious it is "could have"... its called second guessing because you dont know for sure. Some day when Doc makes a decent in-game decision, we may find out. I dont believe that I was the only one screaming to give Powe some minutes during the game though. Last time I checked 4 rebounds in 11 minutes dont win games.

During the regular season Powe averaged more minutes per game (14.5 to 13.7), points (7.9 to 4.5), rebounds (4.1 to 3.0), better ft% (.710 to .660), better fg% (.572 to .484)

Glen Davis played 942 minutes in the regular season and Powe played 810 = Davis played 132 more minutes than Powe did.

So how is it that Powe hit 137 free throws and Davis took a combined 150 hitting only 99 of them?

The answer is simple really. He is better and should be in the game more often than Glen Davis. ;)

Jimmy,

That's a TP for you.  :)

I just wanted to add that in the 36 games in which Powe played 10 or more minutes during the season, he averaged 11.1 pts and 5.8 rebs per game on 19.8 minutes per game.

In the games where he's played over 20 minutes (16 games), Powe averaged 16.4 pts and 7.8 rebounds per game on 26.9 minutes per game.

Powe's averages are down from these numbers in the playoffs but more shots should go, and do, to the big three and deservedly so.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:19:37 PM by expobear »

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Feel free to call out:

Jimmy,

I just wanted to add that in the 36 games in which Powe played 10 or more minutes during the season, he averaged 11.1 pts and 5.8 rebs per game on 19.8 minutes per game.

In the games where he's played over 20 minutes (16 games), Powe averaged 16.4 pts and 7.8 rebounds per game on 26.9 minutes per game.

Powe's averages are down from these numbers in the playoffs but more shots should go, and do, to the big three and deservedly so.

This isn't the regular season, and Powe has played too little in the playoffs (especially against Detroit, who are completely different from the other two teams) to make any sort of argument based on stats.

So all we have to go in is speculation based on how he looked in the few minutes he got, and how his skills match up against Detroit. 

Like I have been saying for a long, long time, I don't think they match up well.  I think he is a horrible matchup against Playoffs Detroit (much different team than regular season Detroit).  For the record, I don't think Davis is a good matchup either, but he is a better matchup than Powe is IMO. 

Therefore, my argument is that Doc is not an idiot for not putting Powe in, and he is not holding Powe back.  He is just using his analysis of his player's strength to determine which player gives them the best chance to win.  If you don't agree with it, fine.  Some of us do agree with it though.  And we will just have to agree to disagree.

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White

Feel free to call out:

Jimmy,

This isn't the regular season, and Powe has played too little in the playoffs (especially against Detroit, who are completely different from the other two teams) to make any sort of argument based on stats.

So all we have to go in is speculation based on how he looked in the few minutes he got, and how his skills match up against Detroit. 

Like I have been saying for a long, long time, I don't think they match up well.  I think he is a horrible matchup against Playoffs Detroit (much different team than regular season Detroit).  For the record, I don't think Davis is a good matchup either, but he is a better matchup than Powe is IMO. 

Therefore, my argument is that Doc is not an idiot for not putting Powe in, and he is not holding Powe back.  He is just using his analysis of his player's strength to determine which player gives them the best chance to win.  If you don't agree with it, fine.  Some of us do agree with it though.  And we will just have to agree to disagree.

Im sorry but until I SEE that Davis is a better matchup out there than Powe is, I wont buy into your argument. The reason I used regular season stats is because I really do not see why those stats shouldnt be enough to earn some time over Davis. Davis hasnt done anything against these "Playoff Pistons" either. I dont see how you can say that Davis is a better matchup than Powe is when Powe has not had any minutes to prove that he is a better matchup.
Why all of a sudden is Davis a better player than Powe when Powe was more dependable down the stretch of the regular season? Of course I don't know if Powe is a better matchup out there, im speculating. How can we all just assume that Davis is a better option? Its not like we are debating if Pierce or Tony Allen is a better option out there. Powe/Davis is a much closer debate.

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
The reason Powe isn't "earning time over Davis" is because Powe was given his shot, and did not hold on to it (for the time being). 

Powe played 8 minutes in game 1 (which is what you would expect someone in that position would play in the ECF, because Garnett should be playing 40 minutes, and Perk and PJ are splitting the Center minutes), and he didn't do much of anything offensively, and missed numerous rotations defensively.  He was then given a chance the next game, and missed a couple assignments right away, so Doc pulled him.

I expect he will get another shot, but it is not accurate to say that he was not given a chance.