Author Topic: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter  (Read 30294 times)

Re: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I also think, outside of Powe, to many bench guys have to long of a leash.

Specifically Tony Allen and Davis. 

I wouldn't agree with that in general...but for last night, it seemed to be the case.

I would also throw Eddie House in there as well.  He has been completely useless in the first two games of this series. 

I know I have been a Doc supporter, and I still am to a point...but he really needs to get a faster trigger finger with some of these guys.

How long did he keep Davis in game 6 against Cleveland?  Davis did nothing after two quick baskets. 

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

I wouldn't agree with that in general...but for last night, it seemed to be the case.

I would also throw Eddie House in there as well.  He has been completely useless in the first two games of this series. 

I know I have been a Doc supporter, and I still am to a point...but he really needs to get a faster trigger finger with some of these guys.

Hehe, I'm not sure if wd made that post in jest or not. Hard to tell from where I'm sitting at.

How long did he keep Davis in game 6 against Cleveland?  Davis did nothing after two quick baskets. 

How long did Doc keep Powe in game 4 against Atlanta?  The kid got his chances, he blew most of them.

And who cares who has a long leash and who doesn't. If you don't produce you don't produce. We're talking about guys that are currently in the 9th, 10th, and 11th/12th spot in our rotation. Are we nuts?

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:28 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Hehe, I'm not sure if wd made that post in jest or not. Hard to tell from where I'm sitting at.

How long did Doc keep Powe in game 4 against Atlanta?  The kid got his chances, he blew most of them.

And who cares who has a long leash and who doesn't. If you don't produce you don't produce. We're talking about guys that are currently in the 9th, 10th, and 11th/12th spot in our rotation. Are we nuts?

I don't care about Powe getting a chance either.  Both are defensive liabilities at this point. 

Davis just gets to much rope when Doc puts him in.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Since we're in agreement, let's not dwell much on this then.. but I'll just say this, Powe has played more than Davis in the playoffs. That leads me to believe that the long leash thing is a bit unfounded and you also need to consider that Davis makes better defensive rotations that allows Doc to give him a longer leash, as of late, even if he's still somewhat of a defensive liability.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I am actually not sure about the short leash thing.  Doc's biggest liability as a coach seems to be his manic substitution patterns.  You are saying he should do *more* of that?

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I see your point -- this is the bottom of the rotation.  However, there are, you know, some experts that agree with me.  New comment from John Hollinger from him chat today:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20694

"Leon Powe (Boston, MA): Why does Doc Rivers not like me?

SportsNation John Hollinger: (11:32 AM ET ) I know why Powe was pulled last night -- he botched a transition play with Pierce and left Tayshaun Prince wide open for a dunk. But even with the occasional mix-up on D, he's still much better than Big Baby, and I'm as puzzled as you are why he isn't playing more."

I think the reason a 3 man "big" rotation is unlikely is because PJ Brown probably physically can't play more minutes than he is playing now.

EDIT: Player efficiency data from the playoffs has Powe at #85, Perkins at #89, Brown at #92, and Davis at #126.  One of these things is not like the other.

Since we're in agreement, let's not dwell much on this then.. but I'll just say this, Powe has played more than Davis in the playoffs. That leads me to believe that the long leash thing is a bit unfounded and you also need to consider that Davis makes better defensive rotations that allows Doc to give him a longer leash, as of late, even if he's still somewhat of a defensive liability.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:48:36 AM by WedmanIsMyHero »

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

Offline powe is the man

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I actually replayed the Tayshaun dunk play.  Powe was hustling back on D to cover the power forward---his man (McDyess?  Maxiell?).  Pierce was the one that looked lost.  Powe shouldn't be responsible for covering Tayshaun---that's Pierce's man.

I'm biased but I don't think Powe's D has been that bad.  Certainly not worse than BBD.  I thought Powe was switching well in the ATL and CLE series.  He was taking charges and boxing out too.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am actually not sure about the short leash thing.  Doc's biggest liability as a coach seems to be his manic substitution patterns.  You are saying he should do *more* of that?

I am saying that the roleplayers on this team are in many cases interchangable, with each of them having different strengths and weaknesses.  In the playoffs, when every possession is so important, you cannot stick with someone who is ineffective too long, when there is someone else on the bench who is just as good, and may be able to make a difference.

Now don't get me wrong, this is not the same thing with the main rotation guys (Pierce, Allen, Garnett, Perkins, Rondo, and Posey), who all bring so much to the table, you need for them to play through it, because you simply can't win without them.  But the rest of the guys, all have at least one other person, who can be just as effective, if not more on any given night.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I actually replayed the Tayshaun dunk play.  Powe was hustling back on D to cover the power forward---his man (McDyess?  Maxiell?).  Pierce was the one that looked lost.  Powe shouldn't be responsible for covering Tayshaun---that's Pierce's man.

I'm biased but I don't think Powe's D has been that bad.  Certainly not worse than BBD.  I thought Powe was switching well in the ATL and CLE series.  He was taking charges and boxing out too.

In transition you don't go to pick up your man... that's the first rule of transition. I don't have the replay with me so I can't recheck, but my impression was that Powe needed to turn around and close out the drive, regardless of who his "man" is.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Offline powefan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Fact still remains that Leon was hustling back and it was a two on one situation.  If Leon rotates over to Prince, then the other guy has a layup.
How many guys are driving right past BBD because he is too slow?
I liked Doc's game 1 rotations.  PJ-- who is providing some veteran experience getting primary backup big minutes, then Leon playing 7-10 minutes a game, and BBD planted on the bench.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Fact still remains that Leon was hustling back and it was a two on one situation.  If Leon rotates over to Prince, then the other guy has a layup.
I liked Doc's game 1 rotations.  PJ-- who is providing some veteran experience getting primary backup big minutes, then Leon playing 7-10 minutes a game, and BBD planted on the bench.

Didn't they just say that Pierce was down there too? So it WASN'T a two on one situation.

And if it were a 2 on 1, you always stop the ball handler first... that's elementary, so it would've been just as bad of a mistake.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Powe was on his man, but he wasn't playing heads up defense.  He was the one at that point that had to step out. He was the only one in postion to do that.  He just never looked up to find the ball. 

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I need to watch the play again, but the fact is, the C's defense is predicated on rotations, not on "picking up your man".  Powe needs to close out on the driver, and let the next man pick up the other player.

This has been the problem with Powe all year (although he has improved dramatically from the begining).  He simply does not feel comfortable with the proper rotations.  Even when he makes the right rotation, he is a step late to actually close guys out.  He has taken some great charges, but the reason he was taking a charge, rather than actually closing the guy out, and forcing him off the shot (like Perkins and Garnett constantly do) is that he is too late on the rotation, because it looks like he is thinking rather than reacting.  You can't do that against a team like the Pistons.  If you stop to think, they are already shooting over you.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
To be quite honest, they both sucked last night. Although not ideal, I would like to see Posey go to the PF instead of either of them. Both have looked lost in the playoffs. He can guard McDyess.

Play Perk and PJ together.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
Could Posey guard McDyess on the block?

To be quite honest, they both sucked last night. Although not ideal, I would like to see Posey go to the PF instead of either of them. Both have looked lost in the playoffs. He can guard McDyess.

Play Perk and PJ together.