18 (14%)
It wasn't a dirty play
25 (19.4%)
He wanted to hurt West
15 (11.6%)
He wasn't trying to hurt West
28 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Robert Horry's Foul: Whats wrong with basketball or what used to be right?  (Read 20732 times)

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup
there's no way it was dirty. if you're robert horry, and david west is running towards you, you're going to lean into it a little so that he doesn't just mow you down. in my experiences playing basketball, that's just what you do. he did not have time to think to himself, oh i better hit him in between the 3rd and 4th vertebrae so he re-pinches that nerve of his. even if he was TRYING he couldn't have done that. no way.

Not to sound like Tommy here, but are you a guard by any chance?  There's absolutely no need to throw your shoulder in on a pick unless you're trying to "give a little extra".  We've all done it, and it happens a lot in the NBA, but it's not a clean play.  If you're setting the screen or pick, you need to prepared to absorb the hit, otherwise you're not holding your position, you're attacking (regardless of whether your feet are planted or not).
Yup

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Here's another way to look at the play.

If West wasn't already hurt, would we be having this discussion?  Would anyone have even noticed this play?  Would this play alone have injured West, if he wasn't already hurting?

If the answer's "no," the next question is...

Should Robert Horry be obligated to change how HE plays basketball because the other guy is trying to play through an injury?

This pick was a very common play - basketball's an inherently physical game.  They give you six fouls for a reason!  If West's body can't handle the physical demands of playing (especially at the 4 spot), he shouldn't be playing, you can't expect the other guys to coddle you.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yup. Good clean legal pick. Not Horry's problem that West is nicked up.

Wish Horry would show Perkins how to set a decent legal pick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Fastbreak

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Redz and Potsie ...you cacked me up..I read Postsie's post and said to myself "of course"..because, Redz, I was a guard..but Redz makes a very valid point, from the viewpoint of those that have duck to go through a door...and to the other argument that is going on...I'm sure Horry didn't think about West's injury..he was probably busy trying to win a game and little else...

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Here's another way to look at the play.

If West wasn't already hurt, would we be having this discussion?  Would anyone have even noticed this play?  Would this play alone have injured West, if he wasn't already hurting?

We wouldn't be having the conversation because Horry wouldn't have done that if West hadn't already been injured.

If the answer's "no," the next question is...

Should Robert Horry be obligated to change how HE plays basketball because the other guy is trying to play through an injury?

He wasn't obligated to change the way he played, but he certainly chose to.

This pick was a very common play - basketball's an inherently physical game.

Why was that pick a common play? I see picks all the time. Normally a pick is set to free up a dribbler or cutter. This did neither. There were plenty of fouls on picks in our game tonight. How many of those picks weren't set to separate the defender from an offensive player?

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yup. Good clean legal pick. Not Horry's problem that West is nicked up.

Wish Horry would show Perkins how to set a decent legal pick.

Didn't they call a foul on the play? If not, the thread title is pretty misleading. Not clean or legal...