Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Wizards (1-1) Game #3 10/30/23  (Read 12995 times)

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Wizards (1-1) Game #3 10/30/23
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2023, 11:20:28 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883
Silas should go to every game

I 2nd that

Just got home.  I third that.  The first 3 quarters were great, our 6 starters all looked good.  The bench really sucked, especially Kornet and Banton.  PP missed all his shots but played hard and had 7 reb and 6 assists.  Not great but ok.  Sam played strong defense and had 8 rebs.  Both Sam and Payton will eventually make their 3s but they didn't tonight.  All in all it was a great 3 quarters to watch in person.  The Cs are one hell of a strong team.  Just need some work on the bench.

How did Gallinari look?

Not that good.  Seemed slow and I think missed all his shots.  I was not impressed, although he looked better than Kornet.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2023, 11:24:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

I 2nd that

Just got home.  I third that.  The first 3 quarters were great, our 6 starters all looked good.  The bench really sucked, especially Kornet and Banton.  PP missed all his shots but played hard and had 7 reb and 6 assists.  Not great but ok.  Sam played strong defense and had 8 rebs.  Both Sam and Payton will eventually make their 3s but they didn't tonight.  All in all it was a great 3 quarters to watch in person.  The Cs are one hell of a strong team.  Just need some work on the bench.

How did Gallinari look?

Not that good.  Seemed slow and I think missed all his shots.  I was not impressed, although he looked better than Kornet.

;D
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2023, 12:32:52 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Despite the dominance, it’s annoying watching them heave threes. Just move the ball. This regression is what lets teams back in. Probably won’t happen tonight - but an opportunity to just close the door which they didn’t do very often last years.

Just hate to see that Mazzulla is doubling down on a failed offensive philosophy, meaning his opinion that more 3's = more wins.

Celts shot 53 three-pointers tonite and barely get to the free-throw line.
Worked out great with a big win against a bad team early in the regular season.

My only perspective is - how is what we are doing going to serve us in the playoffs ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2023, 12:35:26 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525
super late to the end of thread celebration, but here are some TPs for everyone.
The J's were unstoppable..

« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2023, 05:01:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
super late to the end of thread celebration, but here are some TPs for everyone.
The J's were unstoppable..

I'm late too but never too late to TP everyone, have one back!  :police:

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2023, 05:02:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
Following a 4-for-11 shooting performance, including 0 for 4 from behind the 3-point line, against the Knicks, Brown is 24-for-46 shooting and 11 for 20 from beyond the arc over the past two games. There was concern about how Brown would fit into the Celtics’ retooled offense that includes offensive-minded center Kristaps Porzingis and quality shooter Jrue Holiday.

Against the Wizards, Brown was the beneficiary of the Celtics’ superior ball movement, and he scored easily in the flow of the offense. Tatum added 33 points in 28 minutes as Boston showed no signs of a letdown against a Washington team picked to return to the NBA Draft lottery.

“There’s going to be days where [Tatum] has it going, where [Porzingis] is going to have it, Jrue, [Derrick] White even guys off the bench,” Brown said. “The most important thing is we find ways to get wins. There’s going to be nights where it’s not my night and you have to have the maturity to understand that. I know there’s a lot of expectations on everybody but as long as we’re winning games, that’s what matters the most. Tonight was a night that I got hot, but it’s just one game.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/10/30/sports/celtics-cast-spell-wizards-jaylen-brown-enjoys-magical-first-half/

If Brown and the rest of the team really think this, that they can really move beyond the individual production/stats issue, that they are willing to sacrifice for each other like PP, KG and (most importantly) Ray did when they were brought together, there's no limit to what this team can achieve. That's always a fear...that you get the "it's my turn to eat" or "gotta get mine" mentality arises with six players who can all score 20+. They're not all going to score 20+ in this team, there are going to be nights some of them are going to score in the low teens or even single digits. Sometimes the way the game flows they're not aways going to get the ball or plays run for them. Doesn't mean they weren't effective and they have to recognize that as players and we have to recognize that as fans.

I guess this team is a bit different to our team in 2018-19, with Cryrie, Al, JT, JB, Gordon, Terry, Mook and Smartacus...in that team we had an ineffective leader in Cryrie, a wanna be leader in Smartacus whose production didn't quite match to his aspirations, a vet in Al who was a bit too quiet, three young players in the Jays and Terry who were trying to get paid and trying to set their stamp on the league, Gordon who was trying to come back from injury, and Mook who was also trying to get paid. In contrast, I think this team has a lot more maturity, they're comfortable in their own skins if they have to sacrifice individually.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2023, 06:49:36 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
Pretty dissapointed in pritchard/Hauser expected alot more from them this season.

Them doing nothing offensively makes our bench look bad. Just 8ppg from both of them would do wonders.

With that said I think our sheer talent is going to blow out a lot of poor teams this year. That looked effortless.

« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2023, 08:04:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I 2nd that

Just got home.  I third that.  The first 3 quarters were great, our 6 starters all looked good.  The bench really sucked, especially Kornet and Banton.  PP missed all his shots but played hard and had 7 reb and 6 assists.  Not great but ok.  Sam played strong defense and had 8 rebs. Both Sam and Payton will eventually make their 3s but they didn't tonight.  All in all it was a great 3 quarters to watch in person.  The Cs are one hell of a strong team.  Just need some work on the bench.
I agree. PP and Sam are our 7th-8th guys and they played ok, just missed their shots tonight.

The puzzling part is continuing to play Kornet and Banton. (I don't get your infatuation with these 2 players, Joe.)  Brissett, Stevens and Svi need more minutes. Let's try Nathan Knight.  C'mon coach!

« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2023, 08:42:39 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753

I 2nd that

Just got home.  I third that.  The first 3 quarters were great, our 6 starters all looked good.  The bench really sucked, especially Kornet and Banton.  PP missed all his shots but played hard and had 7 reb and 6 assists.  Not great but ok.  Sam played strong defense and had 8 rebs. Both Sam and Payton will eventually make their 3s but they didn't tonight.  All in all it was a great 3 quarters to watch in person.  The Cs are one hell of a strong team.  Just need some work on the bench.
I agree. PP and Sam are our 7th-8th guys and they played ok, just missed their shots tonight.

The puzzling part is continuing to play Kornet and Banton. (I don't get your infatuation with these 2 players, Joe.)  Brissett, Stevens and Svi need more minutes. Let's try Nathan Knight.  C'mon coach!

Regarding Kornet, there were no other backup centers available last night. Queta was on the IL.

« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
Despite the dominance, it’s annoying watching them heave threes. Just move the ball. This regression is what lets teams back in. Probably won’t happen tonight - but an opportunity to just close the door which they didn’t do very often last years.

Just hate to see that Mazzulla is doubling down on a failed offensive philosophy, meaning his opinion that more 3's = more wins.

Celts shot 53 three-pointers tonite and barely get to the free-throw line.
Worked out great with a big win against a bad team early in the regular season.

My only perspective is - how is what we are doing going to serve us in the playoffs ?
I kind of agree with you (53/102 is about 52% of shots coming from deep, which feels aesthetically excessive), but when you're shooting 50% overall and 35% from the three, you probably don't really need to get to the line.

It's early days of course, but we're also holding teams to pretty low shooting percentages as well as being in the top for rebounding, which is a very encouraging sign.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2023, 09:36:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I 2nd that

Regarding Kornet, there were no other backup centers available last night. Queta was on the IL.

In a media day interview, Oshae was talking about how he had played some minutes at center in the past. It's hard to imagine Oshae being worse at center than Kornet at this point.

Without having to create a 2nd post, tenn_smoothie seems concerned about shooting too many 3s. What basically happened last night was the Celtics were absolutely dominating down low in the 1st quarter before easing up and just jacking 3s the rest of the game. With Brown being on fire, it worked fine, but even if it didn't, they could have just gone back to Porzingis, Tatum, and Horford down low.

« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

I 2nd that

In a media day interview, Oshae was talking about how he had played some minutes at center in the past. It's hard to imagine Oshae being worse at center than Kornet at this point.

Without having to create a 2nd post, tenn_smoothie seems concerned about shooting too many 3s. What basically happened last night was the Celtics were absolutely dominating down low in the 1st quarter before easing up and just jacking 3s the rest of the game. With Brown being on fire, it worked fine, but even if it didn't, they could have just gone back to Porzingis, Tatum, and Horford down low.

You’re right but as a team is defining itself - and perhaps differentiating itself from previous versions, it’s definitely disconcerting to me to see an overemphasis on threes. A good night shooting threes shouldn’t lead to repeating the ‘live by the three…’ culture that defined last year’s team.   This team needs to be a ball movement, high energy, relentless, offensive machine - that matches that intensity on the defensive end. I think most of us would accept high volume threes if open and in the  flow - resulting from ball movement.  There’s too much hold onto the ball and shoot the three. That’s how they gave away leads and lost momentum last year.

« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2023, 10:28:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891

I 2nd that

I don't think that Brissett needs to play Center, he just needs to play as the PF or Swing.  To date, he has always been on the court with one of Porzingis, Horford, or Kornet.  We are fine if Porzingis is the #1 Center, Horford the #2, and Kornet the #3.  It is when Horford becomes the #2 PF and Kornet becomes the #2 Center that we have the disadvantage.  If Brissett can play reliably as a PF/Swing, we are much better off.

« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991

I 2nd that

How did Gallinari look?

So did my grandfather

« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja

I 2nd that

How did Gallinari look?

So did my grandfather
so does mine, and he's dead.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva