Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 670512 times)

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #9285 on: May 23, 2024, 12:12:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
The Cavs tanked to get an easier first round match up but a guaranteed second round match up with Boston they were never going to win. Then Mitchell and Allen got hurt, but they still fought hard. Now the front office throws Bickerstaff under the buss for an outcome they orchestrated!.

Brutal.

The rumors about Bickerstaff have been around for a bit.  In some thread before the playoffs started we hypothesized which playoff coaches would lose their job.  I said Lue, Bickerstaff, and Vogel I think.  Lue’s extension surprised me, but Bickerstaff was not a shock.

« Reply #9286 on: May 23, 2024, 12:34:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Living in the greater Cleveland area, I can tell you there are very few of the radio hosts or people that call in that wanted to run it back with JB.  He is fine, but isn't a guy you'd think 5 years from now will have a contender.  There are also concerns that he hasn't developed Mobley well and that some of the issues with Garland and Mitchell are scheme and other coach centered items rather than just roster construction issues. The same things that are said in here re. Mazz are said about JB. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9287 on: May 23, 2024, 12:47:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Living in the greater Cleveland area, I can tell you there are very few of the radio hosts or people that call in that wanted to run it back with JB.  He is fine, but isn't a guy you'd think 5 years from now will have a contender.  There are also concerns that he hasn't developed Mobley well and that some of the issues with Garland and Mitchell are scheme and other coach centered items rather than just roster construction issues. The same things that are said in here re. Mazz are said about JB.

This is 100 percent correct. Cavs fans here in Columbus I know as well as those that called sports radio here wanted him gone.

« Reply #9288 on: May 23, 2024, 01:39:44 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
I feel like Donovan Mitchell has kinda slickly avoided blame while teams keep blowing up around him.  Utah had roster construction problems, Snyder gets fired, it's all Rudy's fault actually.  Cleveland has roster construction problems, Bickerstaff gets fired, it's all Garland's fault actually. 

He can really score the ball but I'm not sure about him otherwise.  He never seems to fit anywhere.  Meanwhile Gobert got away from him and now has a serious shot at a title.  Could it be because, at 22, Ant is already a better leader than Mitchell has ever been?

« Reply #9289 on: May 23, 2024, 02:01:34 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
I feel like Donovan Mitchell has kinda slickly avoided blame while teams keep blowing up around him.  Utah had roster construction problems, Snyder gets fired, it's all Rudy's fault actually.  Cleveland has roster construction problems, Bickerstaff gets fired, it's all Garland's fault actually. 

He can really score the ball but I'm not sure about him otherwise.  He never seems to fit anywhere.  Meanwhile Gobert got away from him and now has a serious shot at a title.  Could it be because, at 22, Ant is already a better leader than Mitchell has ever been?

I don't think leadership really plays in to it, to be honest. He's been a good scorer on a couple of decent teams that were never expected to go very far into the playoffs - I think I have to wonder why you are expecting more than that from those squads?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9290 on: May 23, 2024, 03:00:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

I don't think leadership really plays in to it, to be honest. He's been a good scorer on a couple of decent teams that were never expected to go very far into the playoffs - I think I have to wonder why you are expecting more than that from those squads?
Yeah and Edwards is already a better player than Mitchell.  Mitchell at his peak may not even be a top 15 player in the league. He certainly isn't a top 10 guy.  I'm not sure what people really expect. 

How far the Cavs go is almost entirely dependent on how good Mobley becomes
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9291 on: May 23, 2024, 03:08:04 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714

I think it was fair to expect success from those Utah teams, particularly the later ones.  They had the best regular season record in the NBA in the 20-21 season.  Instead they got bounced in the second round by a Clippers team that lost Kawhi halfway through the series, and then they regressed the next season and Danny hit the red button. 

But even if you believe that Utah was really just a decent team that overachieved for one regular season, then we're talking about a player who has never headlined a team better than 'decent' despite being surrounded by some good talent for several of those years.  And now we've fired a coach (again) and will most likely overhaul a roster to keep him happy and get him on an extension.  Is he really worth this?  Whose fault will it be next?  I get catering to a guy like Giannis or Luka, but I'm not sure Mitchell is in that tier. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 03:29:09 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #9292 on: May 23, 2024, 06:05:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No league punishment for Josh Giddey.  They deferred completely to law enforcement, although the considerations are different and burden of proof is much lower.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9293 on: May 23, 2024, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
34s
The Cleveland Cavaliers parted ways with head coach JB Bickerstaff, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson and Pelicans associate James Borrego are expected to be among candidates for the job.

I keep seeing that guy Borrego linked with just about every job opening going. Feels like it is only a matter of time until someone gives him a head coaching gig.

« Reply #9294 on: May 23, 2024, 06:44:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I don't understand criticism of Donovan Mitchell. The guy is an absolute stud. Any team would be delighted to have him.

« Reply #9295 on: May 23, 2024, 07:46:36 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #9296 on: May 23, 2024, 08:33:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
If you say so, Rick….  ;)

Asked after the 126-110 loss about why he pulled his starters comparatively early, Carlisle argued that it was not a white flag.

“To look at some guys that I thought needed a look,” Carlisle explained, per Dustin Dopirak of The Indianapolis Star. “McDermott went in there and played well. Isaiah Jackson brought a lot of fight to the game. Jalen Smith hasn’t had much of an opportunity to play in the playoffs, so I wanted to see where he was at.

“We weren’t giving up,” Carlisle insisted, “but it was an opportunity to get some energetic fresh guys in there to fight. They did some good things.”
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 02:32:19 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9297 on: May 23, 2024, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Please take Luke out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9298 on: May 23, 2024, 10:45:19 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 628
I don't understand criticism of Donovan Mitchell. The guy is an absolute stud. Any team would be delighted to have him.

Shaky defensive efforts, at or just below league average from 3, takes up a max spot but would be lucky to be in top 15 - top 20 probably.

Now I know someone might say a lot of that about Jaylen, but I know who I want.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9299 on: May 23, 2024, 10:49:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
Actually sort of bummed about the Haliburton injury. The Celtics were on their way to going up 2-0, they are going to win thi series either way, and these games are fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take and easy path to the Finals any year. But the annoying thing about these injuries is the Celtics would have beaten a Miami, Cleveland, Indiana path even if all those were completely healthy and now we'll have to hera about how soft the path was.