Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 670580 times)

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #9270 on: May 23, 2024, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Believe in Boston
I do not think Dallas is all that good. But I think Minnesota mentally might be in some trouble.

Dallas exploits Minnesota’s weaknesses perfectly. They get those easy lobs off the pick and roll b/c Gobert really can’t guard that- he’s too slow. And their length doesn’t bother Luka. He can just bull his way to the spot then do the step back like the game winner. And lol @ Ant trying to guard Kyrie. He’ll just go right by him like he did. If the 3 point shooting was reversed, Dallas would have blow them out. I wanted to pick Dallas b4 the series, now I definitely do. If the Dallas roll players do anything, I like them to win.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #9271 on: May 23, 2024, 08:43:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
After watching the first half of Game 1 of the WCF, I came away thinking that neither team is as good as I thought.  DAL has Luka and Kyrie but the rest of their team is very limited.  Not much better than our bench.  Luka is making others better for the first time in his career, getting them lob-dunks and so forth.  He is really good at creating that.  But I am not sure how far that can take them.

MIN seems to have a little more depth or balance but if Towns isn't playing well, that puts too much pressure on Edwards.  They are clearly a streaky team.  They have the talent to really get it going (like blowing out DEN in Game 6) but lack something and that is leading to inconsistency, especially with their top guys.

I don't know who is going to win the series but based on the first games of the conference finals, IND is better than I thought and DAL and MIN are worse.

« Reply #9272 on: May 23, 2024, 08:57:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
After watching the first half of Game 1 of the WCF, I came away thinking that neither team is as good as I thought.  DAL has Luka and Kyrie but the rest of their team is very limited.  Not much better than our bench.  Luka is making others better for the first time in his career, getting them lob-dunks and so forth.  He is really good at creating that.  But I am not sure how far that can take them.

MIN seems to have a little more depth or balance but if Towns isn't playing well, that puts too much pressure on Edwards.  They are clearly a streaky team.  They have the talent to really get it going (like blowing out DEN in Game 6) but lack something and that is leading to inconsistency, especially with their top guys.

I don't know who is going to win the series but based on the first games of the conference finals, IND is better than I thought and DAL and MIN are worse.

Yeah, IND is a really good offensive team - like really really good. I think people probably doubted that they would be able to continue their fast paced, free-flowing play in the post-season - especially with Haliburton apparently still not quite right - but they have proven those people wrong for sure.

For the Celtics, I am glad they are getting to experience both grind it out, defensive teams and an offensive powerhouse before heading into the Finals. And yes, I'm assuming they will make the Finals at this point.

« Reply #9273 on: May 23, 2024, 09:04:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I do not think Dallas is all that good. But I think Minnesota mentally might be in some trouble.
Dallas is built for the playoffs.  They have a mega talent all world type player and another guy that is an explosive scorer.  They both can create and handle at elite levels making them nearly impossible to guard.  They surrounded those 2 with tough defensive minded or great shooting role players.  They are made for the post season
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9274 on: May 23, 2024, 09:08:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Minnesota is in trouble.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9275 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:11 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Dallas is built for the playoffs.  They have a mega talent all world type player and another guy that is an explosive scorer.  They both can create and handle at elite levels making them nearly impossible to guard.  They surrounded those 2 with tough defensive minded or great shooting role players.  They are made for the post season

I think if you would have told us that Boston would get Dallas out of the west in the finals, we all would have been giddy about that. I just do not think they can score with the Celtics and honestly feel the Pacers are more of an issue for the Cs than Dallas would be.

« Reply #9276 on: May 23, 2024, 09:57:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think if you would have told us that Boston would get Dallas out of the west in the finals, we all would have been giddy about that. I just do not think they can score with the Celtics and honestly feel the Pacers are more of an issue for the Cs than Dallas would be.

Yeah, we destroyed Dallas this year. The first game Tatum and Brown went off for 73 points combined and beat them on their home floor without KP.

The 2nd game came after their deadline moves and we blew them out by 28 points in Boston.

Both games had Luka going off for insane stat lines, but it didn't mean much. I realize that Dallas is seemingly getting better and more comfortable, but I wanted no part of Denver and Minnesota was looking real dangerous until last night.

« Reply #9277 on: May 23, 2024, 10:24:08 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
34s
The Cleveland Cavaliers parted ways with head coach JB Bickerstaff, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson and Pelicans associate James Borrego are expected to be among candidates for the job.

« Reply #9278 on: May 23, 2024, 10:37:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Yeah, we destroyed Dallas this year. The first game Tatum and Brown went off for 73 points combined and beat them on their home floor without KP.

The 2nd game came after their deadline moves and we blew them out by 28 points in Boston.

Both games had Luka going off for insane stat lines, but it didn't mean much. I realize that Dallas is seemingly getting better and more comfortable, but I wanted no part of Denver and Minnesota was looking real dangerous until last night.
Boston can defend Dallas a lot better than Minnesota can.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9279 on: May 23, 2024, 10:42:44 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
34s
The Cleveland Cavaliers parted ways with head coach JB Bickerstaff, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson and Pelicans associate James Borrego are expected to be among candidates for the job.

Didn't realize JB Bickerstaff was so young, he's been coaching in the league for 20 years, has had 3 head coaching gigs, but is only 45.

At first I was thinking maybe I just merged him in my mind with his father. who's been around the NBA since the 70's, but even on his own, he's been around for a while.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9280 on: May 23, 2024, 10:52:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 628
Wild to fire the guy with that injury list.

Also wild how Doc keeps getting jobs. Maybe there's some fight or something but teams really need to give coaches at least 3 years.

That being said, if Joe doesn't win with this roster twice. He should be fired.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9281 on: May 23, 2024, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
34s
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
Wow, not expecting that..not his fault Mitchell & Allen was hurt during playoffs..thought they had a good season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9282 on: May 23, 2024, 11:30:45 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
A Boston vs either western team would be a very good series, but a Dallas vs Boston series would probably have more spice to it. There's Irving vs Boston, Kristaps vs Dallas and Luka vs Tatum in a battle for future face of the league.

Two of the top 10 NBA markets + two of the league's rising stars is probably going to be good for NBA ratings.

« Reply #9283 on: May 23, 2024, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
The Cavs tanked to get an easier first round match up but a guaranteed second round match up with Boston they were never going to win. Then Mitchell and Allen got hurt, but they still fought hard. Now the front office throws Bickerstaff under the buss for an outcome they orchestrated!.

Brutal.

« Reply #9284 on: May 23, 2024, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
One of the funnier Woj Bombs I've seen.
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
6m
ESPN Sources: In approving a new WNBA franchise in Toronto, the WNBA Board of Governors voted 13-0 and the NBA’s Board of Governors voted 29-1. Only the New York Knicks voted against the expansion. Knicks are suing Raptors in case over alleged “theft of proprietary information."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team