Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 632890 times)

tazzmaniac and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #8325 on: May 16, 2024, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
I could see a trade of Miami/Cleveland

Miami gets Mitchell
Cavs gets Herro, Jaquez & 1st

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland
Pretty good looking young team

Miami build around Butler, Bam, Mitchell & Rozier

I think for a trade like this to work, Mitchell would have to first pick up his final year option, otherwise he would be a UFA and it would be a sign and trade.  If a sign and trade, MIA becomes hard capped and I am not sure they could do the trade.  The option year is $37M, so he would be leaving money on the table and forced to risk playing another season without a new contract.

If MIA could get Mitchell for this trade, they would become very good.
Mitchell is not a free agent. He has 1 year and then the option year.

That trade isn't good enough return for the Cavs. They will get better offers from the Nets or other teams. Heck the Lakers could probably beat that depending on what the Cavs thought of Reaves vs. Herro.
Very true, who think Cavs want more Herro or Reeves
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8326 on: May 16, 2024, 12:16:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I could see a trade of Miami/Cleveland

Miami gets Mitchell
Cavs gets Herro, Jaquez & 1st

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland
Pretty good looking young team

Miami build around Butler, Bam, Mitchell & Rozier

I think for a trade like this to work, Mitchell would have to first pick up his final year option, otherwise he would be a UFA and it would be a sign and trade.  If a sign and trade, MIA becomes hard capped and I am not sure they could do the trade.  The option year is $37M, so he would be leaving money on the table and forced to risk playing another season without a new contract.

If MIA could get Mitchell for this trade, they would become very good.
Mitchell is not a free agent. He has 1 year and then the option year.

That trade isn't good enough return for the Cavs. They will get better offers from the Nets or other teams. Heck the Lakers could probably beat that depending on what the Cavs thought of Reaves vs. Herro.

OK, you are right, I got ahead of myself by a season.  I agree with the second part.  It  doesn't seem like a good trade for CLE.  Rather just keep Mitchell, try to extend him.

If they are really convinced that Mitchell - Garland isn't workable, trade Garland.  He will have trade value.  I know the Lakers like big names, but he wouldn't be a bad target for them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:47:30 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #8327 on: May 16, 2024, 12:18:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
I think the OKC being overwhelmed is wrong. They shot 10-40 on threes last night. 25%. Teams rarely win when they shoot that bad on 3s. If they go 15-40, good chance they come away with a win instead of a loss.

OKC was a middle of the pack team in terms of 3PTA this season but they were #1 in the league in 3PT%.
the only game they didn't shoot poorly was game 1. Maybe just maybe it is the Mavs defense, you know actually overwhelming the Thunder.

Dallas defense ain't that good.

Good but not great defensive squad.

« Reply #8328 on: May 16, 2024, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Am I under-rating Dallas' defense?

G: Kyrie, Exum / Hardy
G: Derrick Jones Jr, Josh Green
F: Luka, Tim Hardaway
F: PJ Washington
C: Gafford, Lively

Do they have a single high level defensive player on their team? I don't think so.

Gafford is a solid but unexceptional defender. Lively a bit better. Both are on the smaller size bulk wise and can get bullied. Lively has the potential to become a dominant defender with more experience but he is more good than great today.

I am not sold on PJ Washington as a top defensive player. We have seen him for several years in Charlotte. He was never a top defensive player. He ranged from mediocre to above average depending on who he was defending. His lack of size limited him as a big. He was very good on wings but couldn't play there full time because offensively he was so bad he had to play the big position.

Derrick Jones is an above average defender. Not a great defender.

Luka and Kyrie are not great defenders. I am higher on Luka than most. I rate him close to average. Kyrie is an average defender albeit highly inconsistent. He is playing great defense at the moment.

Josh Green is a mediocre defender. Tim Hardaway who just returned is a subpar defender. Hardy is a below average defender. Exum is an average to good defender. I thought he was playing better D earlier in the year than recently.

-------------

Then again, do they punch above their weight? Is their collective defense more impressive than their individual parts?

I think you could make a case for that.

(1) I like the SG-SF-PF starting slots where you have three SF size players that are highly interchangeable. That gives them good size defensively.

(2) They also have the 1-2 center combo to have a shot blocker on the floor at all times.

(3) The other part I like is that Kyrie is their only small guard. Everyone else is bigger. So little undersized perimeter players to beat up on.

« Reply #8329 on: May 16, 2024, 12:42:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
I think the OKC being overwhelmed is wrong. They shot 10-40 on threes last night. 25%. Teams rarely win when they shoot that bad on 3s. If they go 15-40, good chance they come away with a win instead of a loss.

OKC was a middle of the pack team in terms of 3PTA this season but they were #1 in the league in 3PT%.
the only game they didn't shoot poorly was game 1. Maybe just maybe it is the Mavs defense, you know actually overwhelming the Thunder.

Dallas defense ain't that good.

Good but not great defensive squad.

Much improved fore sure.  Hence the success.
Yup

« Reply #8330 on: May 16, 2024, 12:51:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
As others have said, DAL has kind of clicked since the mid season trades.  Luka is a premier player.  Kyrie will still hit some big shots.  I am not so sure about the balance of the team.  Definitely improved over the Grant Williams version of the team, but I am not seeing enough firepower there.  I don't see DAL holding up vs. DEN or MIN.

« Reply #8331 on: May 16, 2024, 12:52:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
As others have said, DAL has kind of clicked since the mid season trades.  Luka is a premier player.  Kyrie will still hit some big shots.  I am not so sure about the balance of the team.  Definitely improved over the Grant Williams version of the team, but I am not seeing enough firepower there.  I don't see DAL holding up vs. DEN or MIN.

The thought of Kyrie versus the Celtics in the Finals is salivating although a long shot, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8332 on: May 16, 2024, 12:56:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

The thought of Kyrie versus the Celtics in the Finals is salivating although a long shot, IMO.

It’s not salivating for me.  Boston fans bring too much negative energy to the building when he’s there, and it distracts Tatum and Brown, who are for some reason his friends.

That said, a Dallas-Denver WCF would be fun to watch.

« Reply #8333 on: May 16, 2024, 01:37:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

It’s not salivating for me.  Boston fans bring too much negative energy to the building when he’s there, and it distracts Tatum and Brown, who are for some reason his friends.

A big part of their success is that PJ Washington has been playing very well shooting 47% from three and having 3 20 point + games this series.

« Reply #8334 on: May 16, 2024, 01:43:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I mean they are basically Denver. A do everything other worldly player, a PG that can go off, and a bunch of high level role players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8335 on: May 16, 2024, 01:46:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

A big part of their success is that PJ Washington has been playing very well shooting 47% from three and having 3 20 point + games this series.

That is the kind of thing that I don't see holding up.  He is a 35% career 3-point shooter, 31.4% this season.  He probably doesn't keep shooting at near 50%.  I think he is a good player, better and a better fit than Grant.  But a role or complementary player, not a player who is a "big 3" level of player.  Not the type of player you expect to carry you to the finals.

But who knows, maybe this is his moment to come of age, so to speak.

« Reply #8336 on: May 16, 2024, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In hindsight, did Dallas have the best trade deadline? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8337 on: May 16, 2024, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I rank the 4 Western Conf teams toughest matchup for Celtics as follows:

1. (toughest) Denver--duh
2. TWolves (actually right behind Denver)
3. OKC
4. Dallas

I may be persuaded to put Dallas ahead of OKC, but the above is based on historical performance vs these teams. Dallas has gotten better since we last played them.  Aren't they the only team among the 4 we "swept"?

« Reply #8338 on: May 16, 2024, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Cavs and Thunder would make for interesting trading partners. Thunder could really use Allen and Dort would be very useful in Cleveland.  Something like Allen for Dort and a couple of 1st's. 

Thunder would be a beast with Allen, Holmgren, Williams, Giddy, SGA.

Cavs still have the Garland/Mitchell issue, but Dort would help a lot with their wing defense and that allows Mobley to be center full time.  Mobley, Dort, Okoro, Garland, Mitchell with Strus, LeVert, Wade.   If they can move Garland or Mitchell for a big that compliments Mobley, they'd have a really nice team. They'd have the picks from the Thunder and likely picks from the guard trade to reset somewhat as well, while still remaining competitive.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8339 on: May 16, 2024, 03:24:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I rank the 4 Western Conf teams toughest matchup for Celtics as follows:

1. (toughest) Denver--duh
2. TWolves (actually right behind Denver)
3. OKC
4. Dallas

I may be persuaded to put Dallas ahead of OKC, but the above is based on historical performance vs these teams. Dallas has gotten better since we last played them.  Aren't they the only team among the 4 we "swept"?

I and 2 will be tall order without our 7’2” center ,  thank goodness we don’t have to go though both.