Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 632731 times)

tazzmaniac and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #8310 on: May 16, 2024, 08:07:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
I got to say, I didn't expect OKC to be dominated like this by Dallas. They can't do anything inside vs Dallas length. Jalen Willians looks out of his depth.

If told told me Kyrie would average 14ppg this series I'd assume Dallas got smoked, but they are winning with defense.

Other than SGA who do they have in that team that scares you? Nobody. Sam Presti committed GM malpractice by doing nothing at the deadline. This team could have won a title with good moves. Imagine if they made the trade Dallas did. There’s no guarantee in the NBA that young players develop or draft picks work out or everyone stays healthy ect ect.

Yeah, I’ve been saying the same thing.  OKC is loaded with picks and the only thing they did was trade some seconds to get Gordon Hayward and clear future salary.  The time is going to come sooner than later when their core will get expensive, and Thunder ownership has shown in the past it is scared of paying too much.  They easily could’ve gotten Gafford from Washington to fill their biggest hole, and had plenty left over, but Presti was too scared to go for it.

« Reply #8311 on: May 16, 2024, 09:22:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I got to say, I didn't expect OKC to be dominated like this by Dallas. They can't do anything inside vs Dallas length. Jalen Willians looks out of his depth.

If told told me Kyrie would average 14ppg this series I'd assume Dallas got smoked, but they are winning with defense.

Other than SGA who do they have in that team that scares you? Nobody. Sam Presti committed GM malpractice by doing nothing at the deadline. This team could have won a title with good moves. Imagine if they made the trade Dallas did. There’s no guarantee in the NBA that young players develop or draft picks work out or everyone stays healthy ect ect.

Yeah, I’ve been saying the same thing.  OKC is loaded with picks and the only thing they did was trade some seconds to get Gordon Hayward and clear future salary.  The time is going to come sooner than later when their core will get expensive, and Thunder ownership has shown in the past it is scared of paying too much.  They easily could’ve gotten Gafford from Washington to fill their biggest hole, and had plenty left over, but Presti was too scared to go for it.
maybe he felt they were too young and a minor move wouldn't have mattered and would have onky hamstrung them making a major move.  They do need size and I imagine will at least make a minor move this summer towards that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8312 on: May 16, 2024, 09:37:59 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Do the T Wolves have any chance tonight??

« Reply #8313 on: May 16, 2024, 09:48:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • On To Banner 18!
Do the T Wolves have any chance tonight??

Yes. I got them winning 102-96.

I also think IND wins home Game 6 tomorrow.

OKC though is probably done. DAL looks better and more experienced, and even the Game 4 OKC win was largely due to DAL choking more than anything.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8314 on: May 16, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

Change "OKC" to "Boston" and "Presti" to "Ainge" and this discussion is almost word for word ones we had here like 5 years ago.

Now the only question is whether Presti is right to wait and let guys mature, or if they need their very own Brad Stevens to come in and put them over the top. It's hard to say
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8315 on: May 16, 2024, 09:59:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Seems like Mitchell and garland aren’t compatible. Sounds like no players on the cavs had faith in the coach either

A Donovan Mitchell extension could affect Darius Garland's future.

If Mitchell signs, Klutch Sports' Rich Paul would speak with team officials on potentially finding a new home for Garland, sources tell @ShamsCharania, @joevardon and @ByJasonLloyd.

Narratives around how certain players can't play together tend to get overblown in my opinion.  I don't see any issue with style of play with Garland and Mitchell but there is a size issue.  It ends up being a very small back court.

For CLE, it may be more about cap and roster balance.  If they sign Mitchell long term, their top 2 paid guys are both undersized offensive minded guards.  Doesn't seem like best way to build a team.  I like both players though.  And for the season, the Cavs were pretty good statistically when both were on the floor together.

I think they will find that the problem with the Cavs isn't Mitchell and Garland.  They may end up losing Mitchell in any case.

« Reply #8316 on: May 16, 2024, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Do OKC have enough cap space this summer to go after someone like PG13?

He would be an interesting addition to the team. SGA as their #1. Then PG13 and Jalen Williams as their Big Three. Chet Williams as their 4th option. Then Giddey & Dort as fifth and sixth best players. That would be a strong team.

« Reply #8317 on: May 16, 2024, 11:04:14 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 616
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #8318 on: May 16, 2024, 11:13:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
I could see a trade of Miami/Cleveland

Miami gets Mitchell
Cavs gets Herro, Jaquez & 1st

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland
Pretty good looking young team

Miami build around Butler, Bam, Mitchell & Rozier
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8319 on: May 16, 2024, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
I think the OKC being overwhelmed is wrong. They shot 10-40 on threes last night. 25%. Teams rarely win when they shoot that bad on 3s. If they go 15-40, good chance they come away with a win instead of a loss.

OKC was a middle of the pack team in terms of 3PTA this season but they were #1 in the league in 3PT%. 

« Reply #8320 on: May 16, 2024, 11:26:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

Miami gets Mitchell

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland

I think for a trade like this to work, Mitchell would have to first pick up his final year option, otherwise he would be a UFA and it would be a sign and trade.  If a sign and trade, MIA becomes hard capped and I am not sure they could do the trade.  The option year is $37M, so he would be leaving money on the table and forced to risk playing another season without a new contract.

If MIA could get Mitchell for this trade, they would become very good.

« Reply #8321 on: May 16, 2024, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Believe in Boston
I think the OKC being overwhelmed is wrong. They shot 10-40 on threes last night. 25%. Teams rarely win when they shoot that bad on 3s. If they go 15-40, good chance they come away with a win instead of a loss.

OKC was a middle of the pack team in terms of 3PTA this season but they were #1 in the league in 3PT%.

Since when do young teams win in the NBA playoffs? They don’t. Not surprised this is happening. They would have lost to the  Lakers in the first round if those fakers had tanked instead of winning to face Denver.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #8322 on: May 16, 2024, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Miami gets Mitchell

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland

I don't think Butler remains in Miami. I think they use his cap space and go after a FA to pair with Bam and also try to make a deal for a Mitchell or Garland.

« Reply #8323 on: May 16, 2024, 12:08:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Miami gets Mitchell

Cavs starters
Allen
Mobley
Jaquez
Herro
Garland

I think for a trade like this to work, Mitchell would have to first pick up his final year option, otherwise he would be a UFA and it would be a sign and trade.  If a sign and trade, MIA becomes hard capped and I am not sure they could do the trade.  The option year is $37M, so he would be leaving money on the table and forced to risk playing another season without a new contract.

If MIA could get Mitchell for this trade, they would become very good.
Mitchell is not a free agent. He has 1 year and then the option year.

That trade isn't good enough return for the Cavs. They will get better offers from the Nets or other teams. Heck the Lakers could probably beat that depending on what the Cavs thought of Reaves vs. Herro.

« Reply #8324 on: May 16, 2024, 12:11:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

the only game they didn't shoot poorly was game 1. Maybe just maybe it is the Mavs defense, you know actually overwhelming the Thunder.