Author Topic: Patriots 2023 Season  (Read 188311 times)

Re: Patriots 2023 Season
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2023, 07:39:58 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
Jack Jones gets plea deal.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1699173290864996648?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Yeah, I saw that. Guess his lawyer was worth the money.

Chris Mason of masslive.com reports Jones agreed to one year of pre-trial probation and 48 hours of community service in return for prosecutors dropping charges.

“Jack is grateful to have the case resolved and is looking forward to playing football,” Jones’ attorney, Rosemary Scapicc told Mike Garafolo of NFL Media.

Jones, though, still faces possible NFL discipline for carrying two loaded guns in his luggage at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint at Boston’s Logan International Airport on June 16.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2023, 08:07:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

OUR YEAR!!!!!

oh snap....I forgot....smh

*sippin*

« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2023, 11:35:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326

OUR YEAR!!!!!

oh snap....I forgot....smh

*sippin*

The Lions might fare better than the Pats this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Speaking on Wednesday during a radio spot with WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show,” McCourty acknowledged what many have already gleaned from Patricia’s lone season running offense — it was an outright failure.

“That wasn’t a good thing. There was nothing good about that,” McCourty said of Patricia running the offense. “I think a lot of people talk about the season, but from training camp, there was nothing good about that.”

During Patricia’s lone season running New England’s offense, the Patriots ranked 16th in the NFL in points per game (21.4) and 20th in passing yards per contest (208.0).

Their red-zone offense cratered, with New England ranking last in the league with a 42.2 percent touchdown percentage after bringing the ball within the 20-yard line.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2023, 02:42:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Speaking on Wednesday during a radio spot with WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show,” McCourty acknowledged what many have already gleaned from Patricia’s lone season running offense — it was an outright failure.

“That wasn’t a good thing. There was nothing good about that,” McCourty said of Patricia running the offense. “I think a lot of people talk about the season, but from training camp, there was nothing good about that.”

During Patricia’s lone season running New England’s offense, the Patriots ranked 16th in the NFL in points per game (21.4) and 20th in passing yards per contest (208.0).

Their red-zone offense cratered, with New England ranking last in the league with a 42.2 percent touchdown percentage after bringing the ball within the 20-yard line.

This is where I get confused relative to the pessimism I hear from so many regarding the upcoming season. They were actually in playoff contention last year - I think with just a couple of games left they were in control of their playoff destiny. Of course they faltered and ended 8-9, but if you improved an already good defense and your offense is some semblance of functional compared to last year, how is this team not a playoff contender? I get that division competition is strong, but division games are often tight even when there’s a talent disparity. 

Anyway, I’ll be hopeful until I learn otherwise.  Go Pats.

« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2023, 02:50:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is where I get confused relative to the pessimism I hear from so many regarding the upcoming season. They were actually in playoff contention last year - I think with just a couple of games left they were in control of their playoff destiny. Of course they faltered and ended 8-9, but if you improved an already good defense and your offense is some semblance of functional compared to last year, how is this team not a playoff contender? I get that division competition is strong, but division games are often tight even when there’s a talent disparity. 

I think part of the pessimism lies in the fact that they play in a brutal conference right now.  The AFC is loaded with good teams.  Additionally, their division is extremely difficult.  Bills & Dolphins were playoff teams last year and the Jets, on paper, look improved. Schedule is already tough and you add playing those 3 teams twice each to the mix, it doesn't make it any easier.

I'm excited about the defense. I think the offense will be improved from last year but my inclination is to say that they don't have the horses to go head to head with these top tier and upper tier offenses they'll be facing this season. 

I think they'll be a better team but the record might not necessarily reflect it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

I think part of the pessimism lies in the fact that they play in a brutal conference right now.  The AFC is loaded with good teams.  Additionally, their division is extremely difficult.  Bills & Dolphins were playoff teams last year and the Jets, on paper, look improved. Schedule is already tough and you add playing those 3 teams twice each to the mix, it doesn't make it any easier.

I'm excited about the defense. I think the offense will be improved from last year but my inclination is to say that they don't have the horses to go head to head with these top tier and upper tier offenses they'll be facing this season. 

I think they'll be a better team but the record might not necessarily reflect it.

This is where I am 100% think they will be a bit better but if Rodgers has anything in the tank and tua stays healthy it is a brutal division. If we’re in like the nfc north I would think we could compete for the division.

« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2023, 04:53:57 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1699173290864996648?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Chris Mason of masslive.com reports Jones agreed to one year of pre-trial probation and 48 hours of community service in return for prosecutors dropping charges.

“Jack is grateful to have the case resolved and is looking forward to playing football,” Jones’ attorney, Rosemary Scapicc told Mike Garafolo of NFL Media.

Jones, though, still faces possible NFL discipline for carrying two loaded guns in his luggage at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint at Boston’s Logan International Airport on June 16.

I will make sure I remember to quote the "Jack Jones Defense" as precedent if I am ever pulled up by the police about bringing my firearm where I shouldn't. "Sorry officer I forgot". This clearly takes precedence over the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" principle.

Will we see Jones take the field to defend if the other team decides to use a run and gun offense?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Shocking news.  :laugh:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots quarterback depth chart is back to where it started, as the club intends to sign Bailey Zappe to the 53-man roster Saturday and release Matt Corral, according to sources.

Zappe, who spent the past week on the practice squad, will serve as the top backup to starter Mac Jones in Sunday's season-opening game against the defending NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles (4:25 p.m. ET, CBS).

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2023, 11:37:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Shocking news.  :laugh:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots quarterback depth chart is back to where it started, as the club intends to sign Bailey Zappe to the 53-man roster Saturday and release Matt Corral, according to sources.

Zappe, who spent the past week on the practice squad, will serve as the top backup to starter Mac Jones in Sunday's season-opening game against the defending NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles (4:25 p.m. ET, CBS).

Definitely didn't see that coming.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2023, 11:45:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like Corral might go to the practice squad. 

Gotta love the backup QB musical chairs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2023, 11:45:53 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215

I will make sure I remember to quote the "Jack Jones Defense" as precedent if I am ever pulled up by the police about bringing my firearm where I shouldn't. "Sorry officer I forgot". This clearly takes precedence over the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" principle.

Will we see Jones take the field to defend if the other team decides to use a run and gun offense?

I believe it's known as the "Dave Chappelle's friend Chip defense":

"I'm sorry officer, I... I didn't know I couldn't do that"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2023, 11:22:16 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

I believe it's known as the "Dave Chappelle's friend Chip defense":

"I'm sorry officer, I... I didn't know I couldn't do that"

I wonder if Bob Kraft got involved. That guy crushed it on the legal side in his little Florida strip mall incident.

Charges for loaded weapons on a plane dropped. Wild stuff.

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2023, 03:07:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1700688055663768017

Update on this, the #Patriots are concerned about Matt Corral, per @henrycmckenna

A team source told him on Corral: "He just left the team, let's just make sure he's OK. I don't know if it's mental health. I just know he kind of flaked out."

What on earth is happening! Hopefully he’s okay

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2023, 11:12:46 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1700688055663768017

Update on this, the #Patriots are concerned about Matt Corral, per @henrycmckenna

A team source told him on Corral: "He just left the team, let's just make sure he's OK. I don't know if it's mental health. I just know he kind of flaked out."

What on earth is happening! Hopefully he’s okay

Yeah this seems like something the team and even just the NFL needs to check on. They sent a "task force" to Chandler Jones' place when he was making a bunch of posts on IG stories recently just to check on him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller