Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19964 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2023, 12:34:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
AD doing a disappearing act. Lol.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2023, 12:55:35 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
I know I will get called a hater by Lebron fans for this. But is there a more clear summary of late stage lebron than tonight. Gets the record, the game is stopped for 15 minutes. Then he scores 2 in the 4th, leaves with injury and his team loses a must win game.

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2023, 12:56:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
So now you hammer OKC in live betting, right?  ;)

God no why? They could definitely win but LA desperately needs to win this and will probably get calls.

I mean, it was spelled out.  This was about Lebron getting the record. Once that was achieved, letdown was written all over it. This is an emotional game for the Lakers.

We’ll see what the last 3+ minutes brings but the writing was there.

Don you were right. I didn’t think there was anyway in heck Lebron would sit after setting the record in a must win game. Just wow.

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2023, 01:09:17 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 302
Hold on. Since when is a game on February 7 considered a must win game? I'll pile on the Lakers hate with anyone, but that is ridiculous.

I will say this, the fans at the game were far more concerned with LeBron breaking the record, than seeing the Lakers win the game. BTW, I found it funny how LeBron's two sons could care less about the record. They were like, I guess we have to get up and get this over with.

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2023, 01:16:36 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
Hold on. Since when is a game on February 7 considered a must win game? I'll pile on the Lakers hate with anyone, but that is ridiculous.

I will say this, the fans at the game were far more concerned with LeBron breaking the record, than seeing the Lakers win the game. BTW, I found it funny how LeBron's two sons could care less about the record. They were like, I guess we have to get up and get this over with.

If you look at the remaining schedule, it almost was. I doubt they make the playoffs.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2023, 04:59:32 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
So now you hammer OKC in live betting, right?  ;)

God no why? They could definitely win but LA desperately needs to win this and will probably get calls.

I mean, it was spelled out.  This was about Lebron getting the record. Once that was achieved, letdown was written all over it. This is an emotional game for the Lakers.

We’ll see what the last 3+ minutes brings but the writing was there.

I believe it's spelled LeLetdown
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2023, 05:55:49 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
He will get an “injury” now
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2023, 07:36:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

If you look at the remaining schedule, it almost was. I doubt they make the playoffs.
they are awful when Lebron is not in the game.  With Lebron their net rating is basically the Bucks, without him they are the worst team in the league.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2023, 08:06:22 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
As tired as I am of hearing about this, this is a pretty neat moment to watch. Great moment in sports history.

In the major American sports, is there an individual record that is more heralded and prestigious than this? I'm not a huge fan of the other major sports, but the only one I can think of is the home run record in the MLB.

#of rings># of points

I mean, yeah, sure. But that's not really the same thing. Even as an individual record, the number of rings is as much of a team accomplishment as an individual player accomplishment . Scoring (rebounding, home runs, goals, etc.) is much more focused on the individual's accomplishment.

The all time home runs record definitely held more fanfare and prestige, but Barry Bonds being widely unpopular and roided up kind of ruined that.  Maybe if someone were to approach that record and return it to a popular owner it would be again.
Yup

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2023, 08:58:21 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
If you google LeBron James, the screen gets showered with basketballs, backboard, and crowns. Just wait for like 3 seconds.

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
I know I will get called a hater by Lebron fans for this. But is there a more clear summary of late stage lebron than tonight. Gets the record, the game is stopped for 15 minutes. Then he scores 2 in the 4th, leaves with injury and his team loses a must win game.

Nah I feel the same way. And not just him, but look at AD yesterday. He seemed to be sulking most of the game, looked off, and didn't even celebrate Lebron reaching the record like all his other teammates. Idk if he's dealing with injury still, but it kinda feels like at some point when it's clear LAL won't make the play-in tournament, they'll probably both be ruled out for a while with "injury"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2023, 09:05:53 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
This might be one of those unbreakable records, and he will only be adding to it too. He has played for 20 years, straight out of high school, and started day one. During that time, he averaged over 27 ppg, and stayed relatively healthy that whole time. I'm not sure we'll ever see that combination again, which is what it will take to get close to the scoring record.

« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2023, 09:27:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
This might be one of those unbreakable records, and he will only be adding to it too. He has played for 20 years, straight out of high school, and started day one. During that time, he averaged over 27 ppg, and stayed relatively healthy that whole time. I'm not sure we'll ever see that combination again, which is what it will take to get close to the scoring record.
I think the 5 major NBA all time records are not going to be broken.  The gap between 1st and 2nd is immense in the other 4 and this one will be as well before Lebron finally calls it quits.  I mean he will probably be around 39000 at the end of this year and he is clearly going to play at least another year, which will put him over 40k.  If he goes a few more years, he will go so far ahead of Kareem, I don't think anyone will catch him.  I'm not even sure anyone will get to Malone, let alone Kareem, in my lifetime, but Lebron is going to be unattainable.  Just like Wilt's rebounds, Stockton's assists and steals, and Hakeem's blocks (and Hakeem isn't even the real block king as that would be Wilt, they just didn't track them when Wilt and Bill played).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree.  Kareem's record stood almost 40 years.  I could see this one doing the same if not longer although you never know what advances in medicine, physical therapy, etc..... hold down the road for professional athletes.  Or the NBA does something ridiculous and starts adding a 4 point shot or something insane.

It'll be a very uphill battle, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
I will say that I was thinking last night that I think you see Lebron cool his jets some for the rest of this season. They have no legitimate shot at a championship, and even the playoffs will be hard for them. He has to understand that. No need to pressure the team to waste assets this deadline, as this summer there’s likely much more opportunity to improve the team, particularly with Irving potentially able to be nabbed.