Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19993 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2023, 08:39:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
To recap so far.  Willis, Miller, Jackson, Grant, & Strickland so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2023, 09:11:35 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I am guessing Malone, pippen, Reggie miller, Marc Jackson and Kevin Willis (Willis I am pretty certain if he played forever and then a stint of like 10 games when he in his mid 40’s).

You got three.   Miller, Jackson, & Willis.  Well done.
Yeah Malone had overlap, but he missed the 2 games against the Cavs that last year with his injuries so he never actually played against Lebron.  Same with Pippen. 

Looking at a draft list, Rod Strickland played against Kareem his rookie year and then he did play one of the Cavs games Lebron's rookie year.  So he is one.

Any one else to do it either wasn't drafted or missed a year (or more) and thereby mathematically won't show up on draft lists unless you know to look.

I found two more besides Strickland.  One was drafted in the lottery and then came back after an absence late in his career; one was undrafted.

One of them is [dang] near impossible unless you cheat.

Yeah, for sure. I’m giving myself partial credit because I looked at his draft class and immediately picked him out as a guy I thought was an answer, lol.

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2023, 12:27:08 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
LeBron has over 2,200 career 3 Pointers
Kareem had ONE

Scoring Record is about to be passed, kinda unfairly.
Lebron would have scored more points if all of his 3 pointers were turned into 2 pointers and that doesn't account for the increase in FT's he'd get by taking more 2 pointers.
You know he doesn’t see your posts right?

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2023, 01:32:17 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
LeBron is the Barry Bonds of basketball. I'm not a big records guy in general, but in his case it's even less important to me.

I'd rather be cheering for the Celtics on what is hopefully a championship run.

ABSOLUTELY.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
LeBron has over 2,200 career 3 Pointers
Kareem had ONE

Scoring Record is about to be passed, kinda unfairly.
Lebron would have scored more points if all of his 3 pointers were turned into 2 pointers and that doesn't account for the increase in FT's he'd get by taking more 2 pointers.
You know he doesn’t see your posts right?

Explains a lot about some posters, tbqh.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2023, 01:20:26 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
To recap so far.  Willis, Miller, Jackson, Grant, & Strickland so far.

Going though my mental roladex of 80's players, and then looking them up to see if they're right:

Maybe one of those players who bounced around the minor leagues early on: John Starks (nope), Anthony Mason (nope), Jaren Jackson, Sr. (nope).
Maybe one of those players who came out of retirement: Tim Hardaway (nope), Kevin Johnson (nope).
One of those old big men (like Kevin Willis): Otis Thorpe (nope).

The Spurs had a lot of old players, maybe one of them: Avery Johnson (ding ding ding).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2023, 01:22:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You're close here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2023, 01:23:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Up to six now.  Willis, Miller, Jackson, Grant, Strickland, Avery Johnson.

One remains....

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
I found two more besides Strickland.  One was drafted in the lottery and then came back after an absence late in his career; one was undrafted.

You're close here.

Avery Johnson was the undrafted guy, so I'm left with a lottery big man who left the league and came back.

Hmm. Wouldn't think this would be that hard.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
Guesses going through my head: Danny Manning (nope), Pervis Ellison (nope), Alton Lister (nope), Benoit Benjamin (nope), Sam Perkins (nope), John Salley (nope).

Olden Polynice!

Even noticed Roy's odd bolding on my Otis Thorpe reasoning.  Why did he highlight "en", is he trying to tell me he speaks English or something, probably just an error from typing on mobile or something.  Ha, very cryptic hint, didn't help me, but that was slick.

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2023, 02:01:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Guesses going through my head: Danny Manning (nope), Pervis Ellison (nope), Alton Lister (nope), Benoit Benjamin (nope), Sam Perkins (nope), John Salley (nope).

Olden Polynice!

Even noticed Roy's odd bolding on my Otis Thorpe reasoning.  Why did he highlight "en", is he trying to tell me he speaks English or something, probably just an error from typing on mobile or something.  Ha, very cryptic hint, didn't help me, but that was slick.

Yup, that was the one that was [dang] near impossible without cheating.

Willis, Miller, Jackson, Grant, Strickland, Avery Johnson, & Polynice

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2023, 02:11:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Olden Polynice!

And in 2004, he only played in two games.  One of them happened to be an 8-minute stint against Cleveland and Lebron.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2023, 02:17:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Olden Polynice!

And in 2004, he only played in two games.  One of them happened to be an 8-minute stint against Cleveland and Lebron.

Oh yeah, I went down the whole game log rabbit hole too.  Very impressive.

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2023, 11:36:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I have no idea if it is true, but found it so amazingly improbable I thought it was worth sharing.  Lebron who for his career averages 27.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg, and 7.3 apg has never had a game where he went for exactly 27/7/7.  If that is true, that is pretty remarkable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2023, 11:48:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have no idea if it is true, but found it so amazingly improbable I thought it was worth sharing.  Lebron who for his career averages 27.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg, and 7.3 apg has never had a game where he went for exactly 27/7/7.  If that is true, that is pretty remarkable.

Looks like it's accurate:

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/how-many-games-has-lebron-had-with-exactly-27-points-7-rebounds-7-assists