Author Topic: Summer 2021 Fantasy Draft: Draft Thread  (Read 138191 times)

Re: Summer 2021 Fantasy Draft: Draft Thread
« Reply #795 on: September 09, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Some players, no matter there quality, have never rated well in these games and having one on your team is usually a sign you won't stand a chance of winning. Iverson was one. Monte Ellis another. Kobe another prime example. I have two such players currently on my team. I think Kyrie and Kemba have probably entered that group of players, which is too bad for Kemba because I really liked him as a Celtic, as a player, as a leader and as a person.
Who is your second?  Westbrook, for sure.  I know that Lebron hung at least one CrotoNat championship banner, though.  So did Kyrie.  ;)

I think your team is going to be just fine.  I don't love Westbrook as a pick -- I think he takes away as much as he brings -- but the rest of your team is very well-constructed and fits together so well that Westbrook shouldn't drag your team down at all.

Kyrie...   He's got some negatives.  A bad reputation with teammates and coaches.  He's flaky.  He's a beta.  He's injury prone.  He plays terrible defense.  He might quit on your team.  But, when he's on, he's an offensive savant who can carry a team for weeks at a time.  How do you assess for that in a draft like that?  It's hard to say, but if a team has a strong culture, it probably helps.

Kemba, what can you say?   He's good (not great) offensively, and bad defensively.  Most importantly, though, he just can't be relied upon. If Kemba plays 75+ games next season, he'll gain a lot of his value back.
Except that the numbers and eye test don't really agree with that narrative. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Good point about his durability. But surely you can load manage a bench player right :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #796 on: September 09, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Surprised that people don't rate Kemba - he was still fairly good last season and I expect him to make the contract New York signed him on the best bargain deal in the NBA.
The guy is a defensive turnstile with a banged up knee and on the wrong side of 30. I was ok with the Celtics trading him for a bag of chips.
:laugh: Defensive turnstile who posted a positive value in most adjusted plus-minus metrics this year and still pumped out fringe All-Star value on offence (especially after he got his sea legs back) - here are Kemba's numbers after his dismal first 10 games last season:

Box stats - 20.6/+1.6% PPG to rTS, 23.6%/11.1% assist rate to TO rate
Adjusted plus-minus - +2.6 OEPM (94th percentile), +0.1 DEPM (63rd percentile), +2.7 EPM (85th percentile), +3.5 ORAPTOR (27th in the league), +0.4 DRAPTOR (tied for 16th among point guards)

Before you start nitpicking the list of names in those metrics to dismiss them as stuff made up by nerds that are infinitely worse than the basic box score in measuring a player's value, there's definitely some noise to single-year APM (it only estimates a player's situational value in that given year, which can either go wrong because of wonky lineup data or poor situation/fit for the player in question), but the fact that Kemba produced such numbers in a situation that everyone and their grandmother on this forum screamed was far from ideal speaks volumes to his quality. And before the narratives of statistics lying about how good a player is start flooding in, the numbers jive with the eye test. Kemba was still a dangerous PnR ballhandler who strains defences with his ability to pull up for three on high volume and good efficiency (he shot 37.4% on 8.5 attempts after his first 10 games), drive to the basket for layups or floaters, counter defences running him off the line and sitting in the paint with a quality in-between game and find open teammates if defences collapse on him. On defence, he's active both as a man and team defender, makes good rotations (his ability to take charges is elite) and does a decent job at staying in front of his man as a point-of-attack defender. I completely understand scepticism about him if someone drafted him to start for their team, but how many backup PGs in this format are better than Kemba Walker as a basketball player? Good offence and decent defence, what more do you want for someone to run your offence for roughly 10-15 MPG?
I do in fact think most of those metrics are lists made up by nerds that don't really hold up.  There are so many outliers that the use of those metrics is essentially meaningless.  And, I think the "decent defence" claim strains credibility.  He played below-average defense his first few months here.  Then he hurt his knee, and he was downright bad.  I would argue sub-IT, sub-Kyrie bad.

But, those observations aside, he's a nice player to have on a team regarding his leadership and for his overall good offensive play.  But, what confidence can anybody have that he can play in back to back games, or be healthy for the playoffs?  The Celts babied him all last season, and he was still unhealthy when it counted.
Yet it's still by far the most reliable metric we have for evaluating defence - the amount of outliers aren't that crazy when you start filtering out the low-minute guys and know what happened to the few high-minute ones (eg. nothing normal happened in Toronto last season).

And I think the 'below-average defence' claim is the one that truly strains credibility.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #797 on: September 09, 2021, 10:24:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Earlier in the summer I felt that there was a large number of folks on this site who seemed to feel that Kemba was going to be worse next season. That he was in decline and going to keep declining and possibly decline fast.

I for one was shocked that OKC bought out Kemba. I thought there was a real opportunity to rebuild his trade value by waiting and seeing if he can produce on the court. I liked Kemba's chances of doing that (he improved as the season went on last year). That OKC did not gives me pause. They pulled the plug on Kemba as fast as they could. For team famous for trying to get any type draft assets possible in return for players, that was eye popping.

Overall, I like Kemba for IRL Knicks. I am not sure what I think of him in this 12 team CB League. Competition is a lot tougher. I haven't made up my mind on him. I did have him listed as a 3rd string PG candidate rather than a rotation player on my draft board.

For your team, I am not sure what Kemba adds is that valuable given that you already have Conley and VanVleet & a playmaking wing in Jimmy Butler. That is uncertainty rather than negative or positive. I just don't have a picture in my head yet of how the team will work.
Just bench firepower - I can afford to slant my team towards offence with Draymond/AD/Wood in the frontcourt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #798 on: September 09, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Surprised that people don't rate Kemba - he was still fairly good last season and I expect him to make the contract New York signed him on the best bargain deal in the NBA.
The guy is a defensive turnstile with a banged up knee and on the wrong side of 30. I was ok with the Celtics trading him for a bag of chips.
:laugh: Defensive turnstile who posted a positive value in most adjusted plus-minus metrics this year and still pumped out fringe All-Star value on offence (especially after he got his sea legs back) - here are Kemba's numbers after his dismal first 10 games last season:

Adjusted plus-minus - +2.6 OEPM (94th percentile), +0.1 DEPM (63rd percentile), +2.7 EPM (85th percentile), +3.5 ORAPTOR (27th in the league), +0.4 DRAPTOR (tied for 16th among point guards)

Before you start nitpicking the list of names in those metrics to dismiss them as stuff made up by nerds that are infinitely worse than the basic box score in measuring a player's value, there's definitely some noise to single-year APM (it only estimates a player's situational value in that given year, which can either go wrong because of wonky lineup data or poor situation/fit for the player in question), but the fact that Kemba produced such numbers in a situation that everyone and their grandmother on this forum screamed was far from ideal speaks volumes to his quality. And before the narratives of statistics lying about how good a player is start flooding in, the numbers jive with the eye test. Kemba was still a dangerous PnR ballhandler who strains defences with his ability to pull up for three on high volume and good efficiency (he shot 37.4% on 8.5 attempts after his first 10 games), drive to the basket for layups or floaters, counter defences running him off the line and sitting in the paint with a quality in-between game and find open teammates if defences collapse on him. On defence, he's active both as a man and team defender, makes good rotations (his ability to take charges is elite) and does a decent job at staying in front of his man as a point-of-attack defender. I completely understand scepticism about him if someone drafted him to start for their team, but how many backup PGs in this format are better than Kemba Walker as a basketball player? Good offence and decent defence, what more do you want for someone to run your offence for roughly 10-15 MPG?
I do in fact think most of those metrics are lists made up by nerds that don't really hold up.  There are so many outliers that the use of those metrics is essentially meaningless.  And, I think the "decent defence" claim strains credibility.  He played below-average defense his first few months here.  Then he hurt his knee, and he was downright bad.  I would argue sub-IT, sub-Kyrie bad.

But, those observations aside, he's a nice player to have on a team regarding his leadership and for his overall good offensive play.  But, what confidence can anybody have that he can play in back to back games, or be healthy for the playoffs?  The Celts babied him all last season, and he was still unhealthy when it counted.
Yet it's still by far the most reliable metric we have for evaluating defence - the amount of outliers aren't that crazy when you start filtering out the low-minute guys and know what happened to the few high-minute ones (eg. nothing normal happened in Toronto last season).

And I think the 'below-average defence' claim is the one that truly strains credibility.

You might be able to get away with that if we hadn’t all watched him play 100 games here.  If a metric says he’s better than below average, that metric is garbage.

Raptor tells us Jabari Parker was a better defender last year than Marcus Smart.  Kemba and Smart were equals.  Kemba is significantly better at defense than Timelord, Jaylen or Tatum.

Looking at another team many of us have watched closely, we learn that Pat Connaughton is a better defender than Jrue Holiday.

Boogie Cousins, a favorite of mine:  best defensive player on the Clippers.  Kawhi is 7th on the team.  But, perhaps that is not surprising, as Boogie is better than Giannis, as well. Of course, a lot of players are better than Giannis, who ranks 93rd.  Ben Simmons? 84th.

Does any of that make sense to you after watching games?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:56:22 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #799 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:37 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
Gotta say, I did not expect Dort to get drafted.
Yeah this definitely wasn't a talent-rich pick lol. Just needed someone who can defend like a madman at SG and do something on offence (he shot 36.9% on 5.1 C&S threes this season) to maintain some defensive sanity at SG.

I thought about Dort at least a few times - his defense is a unique skill.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2021, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

You might be able to get away with that if we hadn’t all watched him play 100 games here.  If a metric says he’s better than below average, that metric is garbage.

Raptor tells us Jabari Parker was a better defender last year than Marcus Smart.  Kemba and Smart were equals.  Kemba is significantly better at defense than Timelord, Jaylen or Tatum.

Looking at another team many of us have watched closely, we learn that Pat Connaughton is a better defender than Jrue Holiday.

Boogie Cousins, a favorite of mine:  best defensive player on the Clippers.  Kawhi is 7th on the team.  But, perhaps that is not surprising, as Boogie is better than Giannis, as well. Of course, a lot of players are better than Giannis, who ranks 93rd.  Ben Simmons? 84th.

Does any of that make sense to you after watching games?
Or maybe it tells you that you're missing something in your analysis. Half of the examples you brought up were low minute players that the stat tells you to filter out (Parker, Boogie, a couple of the guys ahead of Kawhi on the Clippers, etc).

Most of the rest makes sense: anyone who followed the Celtics closely will have noted that Jaylen/Tatum cratered on defence last season (even Smart took a dip, although more on him later), and it isn't weird for good defenders to post similar or worse numbers in their down years to average/below-average defenders having the season of their life on that end of the floor. Does that mean that'll be the case next season? I think all of us can agree that both of them will bounce back with a proper offseason to rest, less tension in the dressing room, etc and just dwarf Kemba in these metrics like they have in previous seasons when they start playing defence again come October/November.

Simmons and Giannis are in the 30s after filtering out low minute players. This obviously underrates Giannis, but the stat has ranked Giannis near the top of the league in his DPOY year when the Bucks were actually going full throttle in the regular season (they definitely coasted this year on defence, they were 10th in DRTG). As for Simmons, I actually don't think that his current rating is way off: he's not far off from the likes of Kyle Anderson, Robert Covington, OG Anunoby, etc - all strong defensive wings while he was bunched up together with Paul George, Draymond Green, Jrue Holiday, etc in 2020.

You make valid criticisms of the metric for Smart, Connaughton and Robert (although in fairness to RAPTOR, Smart and Pat this year are probably a result of some really weird stuff - it nailed their defensive value in his past few seasons), but this is where data triangulation comes in. Estimated Plus-Minus reverses its evaluations for Pat and Jrue compared to RATPOR (it has Jrue among the cream of the crop while Pat is good but nowhere close to being great) and rates Robert/Smart highly.

To conclude, using multiple members of the adjusted plus-minus family and applying context/team situation/eye test/etc to them gives you a fairly accurate picture of how good a player is. It's definitely something that most fans aren't used to, but it's certainly much better than looking at stuff like DWS and have truly wonky results pop up even when you filter out players whose data might be noisy (is anyone ready to crown Jokic as the fifth best defender in the league over Giannis last year? :laugh:)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Like I said, all of the models have so many outliers that they’re essentially garbage.  You can’t judge defense from a box score.

The best stats are those based upon tracking data, mixed with common sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
Like I said, all of the models have so many outliers that they’re essentially garbage.  You can’t judge defense from a box score.

The best stats are those based upon tracking data, mixed with common sense.

Abso-****'-lutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2021, 05:56:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
I'll get us started a bit early. 

With the 1st pick in the 12th round, the Memphis Grizzlies select Delon Wright.

« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2021, 06:05:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Pacers select Larry Nance Jr.

« Reply #805 on: September 10, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
With the 3rd pick of the 12th round, the OKC Thunder select...

Marc Gasol!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #806 on: September 10, 2021, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Marc Gasol!
A guy that is going home to Spain and won't be in the NBA next season?

« Reply #807 on: September 10, 2021, 06:09:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Marc Gasol!
Don't shoot the messenger :P

« Reply #808 on: September 10, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Marc Gasol!
Lol ... was just asking. Maybe someone missed the recent news.

« Reply #809 on: September 10, 2021, 06:12:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Marc Gasol!
Lol ... was just asking. Maybe someone missed the recent news.
I imagine, because it makes it quite hard to justify. Maybe he cuts him after the draft for an undrafted free agent ;D