Author Topic: Celtics (15-16) at Hawks (13-18) Game #32 2/24/21  (Read 24079 times)

Re: Celtics (15-16) at Hawks (13-18) Game #32 2/24/21
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2021, 10:21:24 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
So can someone explain to me how Grant Williams somehow manages to get 21 minutes tonight. Like seriously, how are Nesmith and Timelord getting less minutes than G-Will in a lot of these games?? This guy legitimately has 1-2 meme moments happen to him every game, and I don't mean that in a good way for us.
Lol I agree with this. Robert Williams should be getting more minutes and god knows why he isn't. Robert Williams should be starting and getting 30+ minute per game. He provides so much energy for this team and brings so much we need (shotblocking, ability to switch onto guards off screens, and rebounding).

I want someone to explain to me why on god's green Earth why Tristan Thompson even gets playing time. He's awful.

« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2021, 10:21:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Where is everyone laughing at me for wanting Brad to play Waters from the beginning of the game?
Lol yes Waters played well in garbage time and had maybe 2 good possessions against Trae Young. I don't think Waters is a bad player, but I just didn't think he's the player that's going to stay effective against Trae for an entire game. Trae has struggled with length and athleticism and needs to be attacked defensively like we did when we won.
While Waters may have been good for a stretch of plays, it would have only been a matter of time until the Hawks started forcing switches and attacking Waters like offenses do with Kemba because of his size.

The biggest issue with this team is that to truly hold Tatum and Jaylen Brown accountable you'd basically just sit them. If you were to bench either of those players you'd drastically  cut the probability of your team to win any given game. At this point I think Brad is just hoping they learn as they play because honestly I'm sure he feels like he can't blame Tatum or Brown for trying to take too much of a load considering the roster around them. It's a really screwed up situation unfortunately.

Waters played great and we'll never know if he would've made a difference if he played earlier in the game. That's why they play the games. Waters played 8 minutes and had 4-4 fg 3-3 from 3 with 5 assists and a steal. Some of that against the Hawks starters and all of it against NBA players. Waters does not match up with a lot of teams in the NBA but he's a good match against the Hawks. I predicted it and it happened and you're saying what might have happened but didn't happen.
Not at all I'm explaining to you why you can't rely on Waters as a defender for any extended stretch as an NBA defender. Because even if he's a good on-ball defender there's more to playing NBA defense than being an on-ball defender.
Also I'm not sure if 3-5 minutes against starters up 20 points that are about to be pulled is indicative of anything. Of

Against the Hawks. It's a good match up to play Waters against the Hawks. Not the whole game and not in other games. Waters is a good match up for small quick guards. That's what I'm saying. Not the whole game but 12-15 minutes against the Hawks. If you don't use him in those situations there is no use having him on your roster.

« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2021, 10:24:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
So can someone explain to me how Grant Williams somehow manages to get 21 minutes tonight. Like seriously, how are Nesmith and Timelord getting less minutes than G-Will in a lot of these games?? This guy legitimately has 1-2 meme moments happen to him every game, and I don't mean that in a good way for us.

I like his Meme moments. They make me laugh and I think we all need that right now considering how bad the C’s look.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2021, 10:25:45 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Where is everyone laughing at me for wanting Brad to play Waters from the beginning of the game?
Lol yes Waters played well in garbage time and had maybe 2 good possessions against Trae Young. I don't think Waters is a bad player, but I just didn't think he's the player that's going to stay effective against Trae for an entire game. Trae has struggled with length and athleticism and needs to be attacked defensively like we did when we won.
While Waters may have been good for a stretch of plays, it would have only been a matter of time until the Hawks started forcing switches and attacking Waters like offenses do with Kemba because of his size.

The biggest issue with this team is that to truly hold Tatum and Jaylen Brown accountable you'd basically just sit them. If you were to bench either of those players you'd drastically  cut the probability of your team to win any given game. At this point I think Brad is just hoping they learn as they play because honestly I'm sure he feels like he can't blame Tatum or Brown for trying to take too much of a load considering the roster around them. It's a really screwed up situation unfortunately.

Waters played great and we'll never know if he would've made a difference if he played earlier in the game. That's why they play the games. Waters played 8 minutes and had 4-4 fg 3-3 from 3 with 5 assists and a steal. Some of that against the Hawks starters and all of it against NBA players. Waters does not match up with a lot of teams in the NBA but he's a good match against the Hawks. I predicted it and it happened and you're saying what might have happened but didn't happen.
Not at all I'm explaining to you why you can't rely on Waters as a defender for any extended stretch as an NBA defender. Because even if he's a good on-ball defender there's more to playing NBA defense than being an on-ball defender.
Also I'm not sure if 3-5 minutes against starters up 20 points that are about to be pulled is indicative of anything. Of

Against the Hawks. It's a good match up to play Waters against the Hawks. Not the whole game and not in other games. Waters is a good match up for small quick guards. That's what I'm saying. Not the whole game but 12-15 minutes against the Hawks. If you don't use him in those situations there is no use having him on your roster.

Okay so let me be clear, you are now complaining that Tremont Waters didn't play 12-15 mintues per game? We were down 20 with the starters and you think that Tremont Waters giving us 12-15 minutes could have won us the game? And that's what makes Brad an idiot?
Please lol
Sure he could have given us some good minutes, but playing Tremont Waters was not the make or break decision of this game unless we are searching for symbolic wins only.

« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2021, 10:26:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

He would be a regular on “Shaqtin’ A Fool.” 😂
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #395 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In the 2 games this year where he's played meaningful minutes he's a combined 2/16 shooting and a -23 in 47 total minutes. maybe that is part of the reason why.

What about against the Hawks? That's what I said. Against the Hawks. +12 4-4 and 3-3 from 3 with 5 assists a steal and zero turnovers.
CBS should have known the final stats of the game PRIOR to the start of the game?

actually his supposed ability to impact the final stat of games is why he is paid to be the coach.

« Reply #396 on: February 24, 2021, 10:33:55 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol I agree with this. Robert Williams should be getting more minutes and god knows why he isn't. Robert Williams should be starting and getting 30+ minute per game. He provides so much energy for this team and brings so much we need (shotblocking, ability to switch onto guards off screens, and rebounding).

I want someone to explain to me why on god's green Earth why Tristan Thompson even gets playing time. He's awful.

So I think part of it is because they want to manage Timelord's minutes because obviously he's had a bit of an injury history and they don't want to overwork him early in the year. But I mean, Timelord should still be able to go 15-20 minutes a game regularly. Yet G-Will gets 15-20 minutes a game and only as of late has Timelord started to actually get some minutes. Mindboggling.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2021, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3037
A starting lineup of:
Smart / Brown / Nesmith / Tatum / RWilliams

Can't come soon enough. Give me the leader at PG, the rookie that plays hard and should have a green light from deep, and the 3rd year guy that only shoots 70% every year while being both the best rebounder and shot blocker on the team.

Walker, TT, Theis suddenly look like a helluva veteran bench.

« Reply #398 on: February 24, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
A starting lineup of:
Smart / Brown / Nesmith / Tatum / RWilliams

Can't come soon enough. Give me the leader at PG, the rookie that plays hard and should have a green light from deep, and the 3rd year guy that only shoots 70% every year while being both the best rebounder and shot blocker on the team.

Walker, TT, Theis suddenly look like a helluva veteran bench.

Ha I'd love to see that lineup. Even if it didn't work out, they'd still be entertaining and great to watch given their heart and playing style.

« Reply #399 on: February 24, 2021, 10:39:53 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
Kyrie was right

« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2021, 10:41:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
Don't let the final score fool you.  This was a 30-point beatdown disguised as a 15-point loss.

Can't even properly articulate my disappointment with the state of this team right now.  We're losing to teams we should not, and often in embarrassing fashion.  This is unacceptable.

This is pretty much where I'm at. =(
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2021, 10:49:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233

Okay so let me be clear, you are now complaining that Tremont Waters didn't play 12-15 mintues per game? We were down 20 with the starters and you think that Tremont Waters giving us 12-15 minutes could have won us the game? And that's what makes Brad an idiot?
Please lol
Sure he could have given us some good minutes, but playing Tremont Waters was not the make or break decision of this game unless we are searching for symbolic wins only.

I'm not saying it was make or break. Read what I said. You aren't winning a game were Tatum and Brown go 10-36 because Waters comes in and gives you some good minutes. I said he should play because I think he can play defense on small quick guards. When he finally came in way too late to mean anything he gave the team good minutes. That's what I'm saying.

« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2021, 11:47:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563

So I think part of it is because they want to manage Timelord's minutes because obviously he's had a bit of an injury history and they don't want to overwork him early in the year. But I mean, Timelord should still be able to go 15-20 minutes a game regularly. Yet G-Will gets 15-20 minutes a game and only as of late has Timelord started to actually get some minutes. Mindboggling.
30 minutes is too much but Timelord ought to be getting 20-25 minutes regularly.  Stevens needs to be fired. 

« Reply #404 on: February 25, 2021, 12:31:16 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
We're really missing Hayward's composure and playmaking this year. He was a multiplicative type player where he made people around him better. People criticized him for only scoring 15-17ppg and getting paid max money but he was a big part of making the entire team successful. We don't have anyone like that right now. We have two young All Stars having the best season of their careers but they're not making other players on the team better. I don't blame them they are more finishers at this point in their careers, so they still have a score-first instinct, regardless of the fact that their assists are better this year, most of those assists are on set plays or transition. And when things go south I think they struggle to know to respond, whether to try to get other people more involved or do it all themselves. Tonight they just looked tired and lost.

The whole team needs to regroup after the All Star break. The silver lining is that even though we are 2 games below .500 we're only a game or so out of 4th spot. Many things can still change but the first thing that needs to change is the team's attitude. And Brad needs to figure things out...this is what he gets paid for. There should be less egos on this team to manage, in fact there should be only 2 or 3 egos. Anyone who doesn't have the right attitude and mindset, sit them.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D