Author Topic: NFL 2020 Season  (Read 68713 times)

Re: Football is back!!!
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2020, 12:02:55 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Thought they should have gone with the play Cam threw the TD on earlier where they fake the run and flare out the FB or TE. I think it would have worked better than the same play they have made with Cam going left on several occasions in this season.

For some levity, thought it funny when they showed Steve Belichick early in the game and Al and Chris were talking him up as a great coach. He is the outside linebackers coach for the Pats. He is such a great coach the team decided to go with a 5-1-5 defense.....with no outside linebackers.😂

I had the same thought.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2020, 02:05:25 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Now for the controversial topic for New England fans tonight-

Cam Newton did more tonight than what Tom Brady did all of last season. Newton fed Meyers, Byrd, Izzo, Harry. Gave a couple of bombs to Edelman. Scrambled around and got a few rushing TDs and rushing first downs.

I'm a Brady lover, but I also think Cam is legit here. Definitely the right decision over Stidham.

Thoughts?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2020, 02:54:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Tough loss, but I'm really encouraged. For one, Cam looked awesome! And lets be brutally honest, a lot of the throws and scrambles Cam was making, no way Brady could do that right now. And I liked that Cam spread the ball around and I guess Byrd could be a real factor going forward (had 6 catches for 72 yards tonight). Again, Brady would probably force a bunch of throws to Edelman even if he was doubled or something. For some reason Brady last season didn't seem to try connecting with Harry, Meyers, etc. and only focused on Edelman, Dorsett, etc.

I do agree with other posts though. This defense is solid. They aren't elite. Lets just get that out of the way. Part of it is a lot of guys leaving in FA or opting-out due to COVID. They can win us some games against easier opponents but against great opponents like Seattle, the recipe is to try and be decent and make clutch stops (which they actually did late), and hope the offense can carry us. Didn't work tonight, but it almost did.

And btw, people might be forgetting but the Seahawks and Russell Wilson are LEGIT. They are a SB contender and a true threat to be a Top-2 seed in the NFC. Yeah there's no fans but still, to almost beat them on the road is encouraging. The Pats have a tough schedule this season but I think they might do better than the "5-11, 6-10" predictions people may have been making before.

TP, my thoughts exactly. I'm much more excited about this year than I was when I heard that Brady was going to TB and hearing about the opt-outs. I knew our defense was going to be dodgy. If this is a rebuilding year for us and a year long audition for Cam to get the top job it's going to be a really fun year  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That was one helluva football game last night given that its only Week 2 and there was no preseason to really speak of.   

Russ has to be the early frontrunner for MVP right now.   What's he's doing through two weeks is pretty amazing.   Cam was really slinging it last night.   What really jumped out was the zip he was putting on the ball and the way he controlled the offense, especially in the 2nd half. 

Really entertaining football game.  As seems to be the case every time the Pats & Seahawks play.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If Folk didn't miss that first half field goal, then I doubt Bill tries for that 2 point attempt in the second half. That's four points right there. At that point, the Pats wouldn't have needed the TD at the end and a FG would have ended up winning the game. Bill needs to find a more competent FG kicker.

As for the final play, the Pats have been highly successful with that formation in the first two games. However, when you use the same formation in one game multiple times, at some point, the other team catches on. Why not use a spread out formation, so Cam has the option to either throw or run?

Having said that, this team is fun to watch. Looking forward to the next game.

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, it looks like it's going to be another long, painful season as a Giants fan. That injury to Saquon did not look good.

Bleh...

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Now for the controversial topic for New England fans tonight-

Cam Newton did more tonight than what Tom Brady did all of last season. Newton fed Meyers, Byrd, Izzo, Harry. Gave a couple of bombs to Edelman. Scrambled around and got a few rushing TDs and rushing first downs.

I'm a Brady lover, but I also think Cam is legit here. Definitely the right decision over Stidham.

Thoughts?

Impossible to say really. If Stidham isn't our long term plan, which it doesn't seem like he is, then yes it was the right decision.
If Newton is in fact a one year rental, and we re-worked our entire offense to cater to him then personally I feel this season makes very little sense to me, unless we believe we can win it all which I don't.
Stidham is getting nothing out of this season, the offense we run doesn't match his game and will not help him long term at all.

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
They spelled Russell Wilson wrong.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Well, it looks like it's going to be another long, painful season as a Giants fan. That injury to Saquon did not look good.

Bleh...

Torn ACL so he's gone for the season. What a tragedy  :-\

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Bleh...

Torn ACL so he's gone for the season. What a tragedy  :-\

Yesterday was an awful day for the NFL in terms of all the big injuries, and also James White's tragedy (ugh)  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Wow the Raiders are christening their new stadium with Saints blood  :laugh: 31-17 with 7min to go

« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
New England Patriots man, they've looked pretty decent the first 3 weeks. Dismantled the 2-0 Raiders whom beat the Panthers at Carolina and the New Orleans Saints.

I wonder, if they somehow beat the Kansas City Chiefs next week at Arrowhead...will AFCCGs/Superbowl be projected on their minds? During the offseason I had them as a Wild Card exit team but man, imagine...

« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
In other news, the Atlanta Falcons blew a 26-10 3rd quarter lead to the Bears and lost 30-26 ahahahaha.

They gotta nuke that entire franchise down, fire Arthur Blank and every single staff in that organization and start over.

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In other news, the Atlanta Falcons blew a 26-10 3rd quarter lead to the Bears and lost 30-26 ahahahaha.

They gotta nuke that entire franchise down, fire Arthur Blank and every single staff in that organization and start over.
It's just getting insane. Anytime they have a double digit lead their players must start to worry.

Would love to see the Pats rescue Julio ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2020, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Anyone else see what josh Allen has been doing ? 5 TDS

He looks like a young tom Brady. Strong accurate arm. Bright future for the bills. Excellent pick