Author Topic: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread  (Read 1929280 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #510 on: October 02, 2026, 11:41:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15972
  • Tommy Points: 1846
He is gone. Tracy may have lost the locker room as well. What a disaster.

Bostons handling of Game 2 starter Sonny Gray didn?t sit well with some players, according to a report. Several Red Sox roster members felt a certain way about manager Chad Tracy?s quick hook in the fifth inning after Gray had thrown only 70 pitches.

Not only had their season ended, but many in the room believed Gray had been disrespected, MassLives Sean McAdam wrote on Friday.

In his candid comments, Gray mentioned his teammates likely felt similarly about his fate, as McAdam later reported.

I think you can probably ask the guys and I think they felt the same way,? Gray said. ?So, I felt strong, I felt confident, I felt convicted. But what can you do, you know??

McAdam floated the possibility that Gray had discussed his being removed from the contest early with teammates in the clubhouse before he fielded questions.

Indeed, without naming names, Gray made a point to note that others in the room were as surprised and disappointed as he was. Perhaps that, too, explains the emotional nature of Gray?s embraces as he toured the clubhouse before speaking with the media,? McAdam wrote.

Gray, who will essentially be a free agent this offseason, wouldn?t commit to pitching in 2027.

I don?t know what the future holds for me, he said. I do know that I walked off that mound with my chest back and my chin up and I can definitely be proud that I left it all out there until the ball was taken out of my hands. I still left that mound with my chest up and my chin up and I can be proud of that.?

He also said, I don?t know when asked whether he?d want to remain in Boston if he did continue his MLB career.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2026, 11:49:50 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #511 on: Yesterday at 07:33:39 AM »

Offline BitterJim

  • NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • *********
  • Posts: 9325
  • Tommy Points: 1246
He is gone. Tracy may have lost the locker room as well. What a disaster.

Bostons handling of Game 2 starter Sonny Gray didn?t sit well with some players, according to a report. Several Red Sox roster members felt a certain way about manager Chad Tracy?s quick hook in the fifth inning after Gray had thrown only 70 pitches.

Not only had their season ended, but many in the room believed Gray had been disrespected, MassLives Sean McAdam wrote on Friday.

In his candid comments, Gray mentioned his teammates likely felt similarly about his fate, as McAdam later reported.

I think you can probably ask the guys and I think they felt the same way,? Gray said. ?So, I felt strong, I felt confident, I felt convicted. But what can you do, you know??

McAdam floated the possibility that Gray had discussed his being removed from the contest early with teammates in the clubhouse before he fielded questions.

Indeed, without naming names, Gray made a point to note that others in the room were as surprised and disappointed as he was. Perhaps that, too, explains the emotional nature of Gray?s embraces as he toured the clubhouse before speaking with the media,? McAdam wrote.

Gray, who will essentially be a free agent this offseason, wouldn?t commit to pitching in 2027.

I don?t know what the future holds for me, he said. I do know that I walked off that mound with my chest back and my chin up and I can definitely be proud that I left it all out there until the ball was taken out of my hands. I still left that mound with my chest up and my chin up and I can be proud of that.?

He also said, I don?t know when asked whether he?d want to remain in Boston if he did continue his MLB career.


The team got embarrassed in 2 games to their main rival. Guys being upset after that doesn't mean Tracy "lost the locker room".
I'm bitter.

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state. The other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people." - Commander Adams, Battlestar Galactica

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #512 on: Yesterday at 12:07:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15972
  • Tommy Points: 1846
He is gone. Tracy may have lost the locker room as well. What a disaster.

Bostons handling of Game 2 starter Sonny Gray didn?t sit well with some players, according to a report. Several Red Sox roster members felt a certain way about manager Chad Tracy?s quick hook in the fifth inning after Gray had thrown only 70 pitches.

Not only had their season ended, but many in the room believed Gray had been disrespected, MassLives Sean McAdam wrote on Friday.

In his candid comments, Gray mentioned his teammates likely felt similarly about his fate, as McAdam later reported.

I think you can probably ask the guys and I think they felt the same way,? Gray said. ?So, I felt strong, I felt confident, I felt convicted. But what can you do, you know??

McAdam floated the possibility that Gray had discussed his being removed from the contest early with teammates in the clubhouse before he fielded questions.

Indeed, without naming names, Gray made a point to note that others in the room were as surprised and disappointed as he was. Perhaps that, too, explains the emotional nature of Gray?s embraces as he toured the clubhouse before speaking with the media,? McAdam wrote.

Gray, who will essentially be a free agent this offseason, wouldn?t commit to pitching in 2027.

I don?t know what the future holds for me, he said. I do know that I walked off that mound with my chest back and my chin up and I can definitely be proud that I left it all out there until the ball was taken out of my hands. I still left that mound with my chest up and my chin up and I can be proud of that.?

He also said, I don?t know when asked whether he?d want to remain in Boston if he did continue his MLB career.


The team got embarrassed in 2 games to their main rival. Guys being upset after that doesn't mean Tracy "lost the locker room".

When you have your best player as well as other guys on the team questioning your decision making, I think it is fair to say that Tracy may have lost the locker room. He was awful in the playoffs and now he is going to have to earn back the players trust. I do not think he will be able to do so with Gray, though. Doubt he comes back to Boston after that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #513 on: Yesterday at 02:57:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 40300
  • Tommy Points: 3529
  • On To Banner 19!
They won't, but I wish they'd just move on from Story and Duran and eat some money if needed to get it done. It's probably a bit unfair, but these guys to me also represent a lot of the losing and terrible seasons that occurred especially between 2022-2024. I wonder if that's also something that rubs off in the wrong way in the clubhouse and causes a negative influence especially when you're trying to build up young players into a winning culture. Makes you wonder too, did Story coming back when he did hurt the cause in September and then the playoffs? They went on their big run without him there. And lets face it, they also just suck as players, no sugarcoating that.

Arias is an easy swap for Story at SS. And really, upgrading from Duran should be the priority. It doesn't even have to be same position, even a DH-type with power would suffice while you let Anthony grow at LF.

I still believe in Anthony (though durability concerns will persist), and I think they have some pieces in Contreras, Mead, Abreu. Arias will be here soon too. But they 1000% need another power bat in the lineup. And frankly, they needed it last year too and didn't get it.

The offense was garbage and hopeless in both playoff series the past two years. Honest conversations need to be had, and upgrades as well. I'd even make the case to dangle Rafaela/Abreu in trade packages just to see if you can get back a big bat somehow in return. Obviously I wouldn't just dump them, but explore it. Changes need to be made.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #514 on: Yesterday at 05:59:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

  • Johnny Most
  • ********************
  • Posts: 20426
  • Tommy Points: 1189
Guess we all rooting for the Braves and Rays today


#FireJoe
#JokeMazulla 2026
#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown) - Mission Accomplished 2026
I am the Master of Panic.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #515 on: Today at 12:10:25 AM »

Online byennie

  • Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • **
  • Posts: 2691
  • Tommy Points: 3053
They won't, but I wish they'd just move on from Story and Duran and eat some money if needed to get it done. It's probably a bit unfair, but these guys to me also represent a lot of the losing and terrible seasons that occurred especially between 2022-2024. I wonder if that's also something that rubs off in the wrong way in the clubhouse and causes a negative influence especially when you're trying to build up young players into a winning culture. Makes you wonder too, did Story coming back when he did hurt the cause in September and then the playoffs? They went on their big run without him there. And lets face it, they also just suck as players, no sugarcoating that.

Arias is an easy swap for Story at SS. And really, upgrading from Duran should be the priority. It doesn't even have to be same position, even a DH-type with power would suffice while you let Anthony grow at LF.

I still believe in Anthony (though durability concerns will persist), and I think they have some pieces in Contreras, Mead, Abreu. Arias will be here soon too. But they 1000% need another power bat in the lineup. And frankly, they needed it last year too and didn't get it.

The offense was garbage and hopeless in both playoff series the past two years. Honest conversations need to be had, and upgrades as well. I'd even make the case to dangle Rafaela/Abreu in trade packages just to see if you can get back a big bat somehow in return. Obviously I wouldn't just dump them, but explore it. Changes need to be made.

Story for sure. He's washed, he's never healthy, he's a poor defender, he's never on base (8 strikeouts for every walk, geez), and his upside is basically a longshot to play and hit 20 HRs. Either cut him, or just call up Arias and let him sit until someone takes him in exchange for us paying 97% of his salary.

Duran remains a conundrum because unless he's a clubhouse problem, he still makes sense to keep. We can use 4 outfielders, especially with no DH and health problems, his contract is cheap, and there's a pretty decent chance he bounces back to 40 doubles, 20 homeruns, 20 steals and 0.250 average, with ok corner outfielder defense. We all want more, but that's someone you continue to keep unless you can get real value for him (unlikely).

Realistically we need to give Arias, Anthony, Adley, Mead a chance to contribue. Durbin, Contreras, Rafaela, Abreu aren't going anywhere. With Duran, that's a starting 9. The problems come when we're down to Sogard, Monasterio, Story, Jones... just awful to be playing those guys on the regular. We're not even deep enough to field a useful DH right now.

Hopefully Crochet can come back, Tolle + Bennett + Suarez are keepers... we'll see what happens with Gray opting out.

After that it can get pretty bleak if a lot of it doesn't come together. We already cashing in the top levels of our farm system outside of Arias, dumped several of our best young pitchers for mediocre returns, and everyone left is basically 2-3 years away. I don't see any free agents in 2027 that would be big bat even if we were spending.