Author Topic: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)  (Read 55102 times)

Re: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Smart have to have more minutes than anyone..he was our MVP in Raptors series..he does it all
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
For all the alleged “hate” I’ve given him, it’s plain to see that we need him in this series and the next. I’d advocate for him to come off the bench given how well we’ve started games. We also have a bad bench highlighted by travel monster, Semi Ojeleye
I think him off the bench initially is the way to go. Having Hayward as the first non-big off the bench instead of Ojeleye or Wanamaker is huge. Even just getting 2018-19 Hayward production for the playoffs would be such a crazy improvement over Semi

THIS ^   Semi can be just useless and in a league he doesn't belong .  Hayward can play 10 minutes and not put the team in a hole .  Hayward IQ and passing alone helps if he can't even hit a shot.

« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2020, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For all the alleged “hate” I’ve given him, it’s plain to see that we need him in this series and the next. I’d advocate for him to come off the bench given how well we’ve started games. We also have a bad bench highlighted by travel monster, Semi Ojeleye
I think him off the bench initially is the way to go. Having Hayward as the first non-big off the bench instead of Ojeleye or Wanamaker is huge. Even just getting 2018-19 Hayward production for the playoffs would be such a crazy improvement over Semi

THIS ^   Semi can be just useless and in a league he doesn't belong .  Hayward can play 10 minutes and not put the team in a hole .  Hayward IQ and passing alone helps if he can't even hit a shot.
Disagree. As long as he is 100% healthy, he should start. It's not like Stevens plays two different teams, one starters and one bench. With Stevens' substitution patterns he plays at least two of his main scorers with the bench anyway. Also, the Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward Theis grouping has better numbers than the Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis grouping.

« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

Agreed here.  Hayward is - at best - a bench player for the remainder of the playoffs.  Its clear that the Celtics need to play the 3 guys (Tatum, Brown, and Smart) who they have been relying on every post-season.  Ultimately if one of them goes down you can try to reinsert Hayward, but you can't mess with chemistry at this point.

« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Agreed here.  Hayward is - at best - a bench player for the remainder of the playoffs.  Its clear that the Celtics need to play the 3 guys (Tatum, Brown, and Smart) who they have been relying on every post-season.  Ultimately if one of them goes down you can try to reinsert Hayward, but you can't mess with chemistry at this point.

At best?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
So no matter when Gordo comes back, he should come off the bench, right?

Smart has shown (understatement) to fit that starting role with those minutes very well, not to mention he just blatantly earned it.

That said, if Hayward needs those reps or if coming off the bench would likely mess with his confidence, what’s the move, here?

We need his firepower to go all the way, but I feel it should be regulated given the success the team’s had without him.

I think the best strategy is having Hayward off the bench. He can help keep us afloat with scoring while the starters rest for a bit during games. Sometimes our bench scoring dries up and Hayward definitely is an improvement there over the likes of Ojeyele.

And remember, even if coming off the bench, that doesn't stop him from playing the last few minutes of games with the other starters.

Start with what we've been doing recently with Kemba/Smart/Jaylen/Tatum/Theis, finish with Kemba/Jaylen/Tatum/Hayward with Theis and Smart rotating depending on possession and if we need a stop (or if they go smallball entirely)

Honestly I'm expecting Hayward to be on minute restrictions anyways, so maybe he can play like 18-20 MPG, with the maximum being around 25 maybe if they are fortunate enough to reach the Finals and once we get there.

I don’t care who starts. Finishing with healthy Hayward rather than Kemba is a much better defensive squad. The Raptors attacked Kemba repeatedly with great success and the Heat and WCC will do the same.

« Reply #276 on: September 13, 2020, 10:04:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

At best?

I know he's been Mr. Glass since he got to the Celtics, but he still gets underappreciated and underestimated by many C's fans.

« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2020, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419

At best?

I know he's been Mr. Glass since he got to the Celtics, but he still gets underappreciated and underestimated by many C's fans.

There’s certainly truth to that, but I think it’s also short memory syndrome...fans put more weight on what the team did the last few games. All the things Hayward contributed have been lost to the mists of time.

To me the whole “who starts” is overblown with the way everyone manages minutes for their squad these days...it’s all about which lineups works best together. And about who finishes the game.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2020, 09:06:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Jared Weiss of the Athletic (great writer) wrote article today about Gordon's availability.  Can anyone summarize what he says? It has a pay wall.

« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jared Weiss of the Athletic (great writer) wrote article today about Gordon's availability.  Can anyone summarize what he says? It has a pay wall.

Basically, Gordon's done some light, non-contact drills.  No group stuff.  Got some shots in during pregame before Game 7.   Organization is still testing that right ankle & what it can handle.  Might have a chance to play in the latter half of the series.  The timeline is also uncertain because of the impending birth of his son.  That could be a week of unavailability.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
“He did a couple of non-contact, very light drills," Brad Stevens said Sunday afternoon. "He’s out there doing individual work right now, but none of the stuff with any groups.”

Hayward has missed 10 playoff game since the injury, which happened on August 17. Tomorrow marks the four week mark since the injury, and the Celtics originally announced an approximately four week timeline for his return. Stevens said he expect Hayward back fairly soon.

“Since I’ve seen him last, it’s good progress," Stevens said. "I know he feels better. He’s worked hard to get to where he is and I think he’ll play at some point in this series. As far as predicting a timeline, I have no idea. But I feel like he’s made good progress and will play eventually.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

At best?
What?  Hayward has he potential to be the best player on the floor on any given night?  That assumes he's healthy of course but if he's playing I'm going to assume he's healthy.

For my part, just put Hayward back into the starting lineup with him coming off the bench no more than one game.

« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

At best?
What?  Hayward has he potential to be the best player on the floor on any given night?  That assumes he's healthy of course but if he's playing I'm going to assume he's healthy.

For my part, just put Hayward back into the starting lineup with him coming off the bench no more than one game.

Considering his slow comeback after every injury, in which parellele universe he might be a starter ever more?

« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

At best?

Considering his slow comeback after every injury, in which parellele universe he might be a starter ever more?

When he came back from injury this season, he was immediately placed back in the lineup and both he and the team played well.  He missed a long stretch, came back and started three games, and shot 19-for-34.  Then, he missed another three games, and was again reinserted into the lineup, with the Celts winning 5 of 6 games and Hayward averaging 16/6.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:02:23 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All I know is Marcus Smart needs to remain a starter. His defense and hustle are too important. At this point, it seems fairly clear he's just a better player than Hayward.

Kemba is the guy to look at replacing in the starting lineup if Hayward is to be re-inserted as a starter.