Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117046 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just wanted to amend my earlier post where I said the only wing I'd consider is Saadiq Bey, due to his ability to play minutes at PF.

I didn't really consider Vassell as he will probably go earlier...but absolutely if Vassell is there he has to be taken.  That needn't spell the end of Romeo necessarily.  What it would mean to me is that after next season, if Hayward comes back, he goes to the bench.

2021 starting lineup:

Kemba
Vassell
Brown
Tatum
Center

Bench: Smart, Hayward, Romeo, Etc.

Vassell to good to pass on if he slips to 14.  Have to take him, even if plan to trade him...value at 14 higher than anyone else, even higher than P. Williams, who I love.  (I expect both Floridians to be gone by pick 11 or 12...)

So this post echoes original post by OP (Footey) on Vassell.

Vassel will probably require a trade up. Also I don't think he would start over Hayward, not next year anyway. Down the road, sure.

I agree Vassel will be gone long before #14, I think western conference teams who expect to be in the hunt for the playoffs will look at Vassel as a safe easy to plug in option causing him to rise up.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Patrick Williams or Jaden Mcdaniels

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

At 14?
Yes at 14. If Toppin can go top ten Smith can go 14. Everyone has him in the 20's but they are off. He should go top 18.

Toppin and Smith both really worry me on defense. Both will take a lot of scheming for BS to hide. Toppin is worse then Smith but both lack the perimeter mobility to switch onto smaller players and neither player has the size to be a drop rim protector.

Looking at the teams in the playoffs the bigs who are going to get consistent minutes are either

Legit BIGS (6'11+ 250+ with + length)

Brook and Robin Lopez
Vucevic
Gasol
Embiid
Turner
Mcgee and Howard
Nurkic and Whiteside
Zubac
KP
Jokic and Plumlee
Gobert
Adams
Allen

Or they are elite moving bigs who can jump out and defend smaller players in switches
Ibaka (getting slower but also has size to drop)
Horford
Theis
BAM
Harrell
Noel
Anthony Davis

It feels like defensive fit is often overlooked by draft fans. I think Obi will have a long NBA career but short of being an 8th or 9th man I don't think he ever has playoff success. He can be a 20ppg guy on a bad team I just don't see how a team wins with him on D. Smith is not as terrible on D but still will be exploited in match-ups and will have to shoot the lights out to warrant a role on a good team.

For the same reason I think Achiuwa, Tillman, Nnaji, and Tillie have higher ceilings as bigs who can move on the perimeter and that Azubuike could be a steal as a drop big in the 2nd round.

I feel Obi and Smith are better prospects because they are athletic with some length but also already feature some offense ability. I dont worry about their ability to bang in the paint as they still both manage good inside numbers and overall both are superior advance stats players across the board compared to the other bigs you mentioned. I dont want wishful thinking on guys that have more size or guys that are uber athletes but can't stretch the floor past 4 feet. I want a combination of features to make for a potential replacement for what Theis is. If you feel Theis is a great fit than Smith should be a guy you like at 14. I can accept getting a Theis like player locked up for 4 years at cheap money. Especially when you consider Theis and Kanter's contract situations.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:20:29 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Cole Anthony could be available at pick 14. He was a top 5 recruit. He got hurt. His team sucked. He didn't shoot well and forced a lot of shots because his team sucked. He's not a great athlete but he could turn out to be a beast. He reminds me of a Baron Davis type player. This pick has DA written all over it.

I like other players at 14 as well but would like to trade up to around 7 or 8 if someone like Okongwu is still there.

I actually think his athleticism is one of his biggest strengths, kinda strange that you compare him to baron davis who was one of the most explosive guards i can remember and call him "not a great athlete"  ;D but maybe your standards are just super high. You can definitely see the potential with him, especially on offense of course. But i really like that he's a good rebounder for a guard and that he is competitive, that could mean that he could become a better defender aswell. If he falls to 14 I would definitely take him!
He's no Ja Morant, who I consider a great athlete. He doesn't jump out of the gym or have exceptional hang time, etc. He has pretty good body control though. He has similar skills/size to Baron Davis, doesn't mean he's AS explosive but can still be considered similar. Would a Ben Gordon comp do it for you?

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2020, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I’d go with Tyrese Maxey. He’s far better than his freshman year stats indicate. I see Lou Williams written all over this kid. Love his cocky attitude.

Give me Paul Reed and Jaden McDaniels with the other picks.

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I’d go with Tyrese Maxey. He’s far better than his freshman year stats indicate. I see Lou Williams written all over this kid. Love his cocky attitude.

i would hope so. he is a 6'3" shooting guard. in 35 minutes  game:
- he shot 29% from 3 point land.
- he averaged 3.2 assists to 2.2 turnovers.
- he averaged 14 points a game.

maybe you are correct, but the stats don't flatter him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I haven't looked at draft stuff at all.

All I will say is I hope Danny drafts somebody who was highly productive in college and who projects as an impact player right away.

Tired of raw prospects who might do something a few years down the line.  This team needs productive supporting players to bolster Jay and Jay now, not a few years from now. 

You never know how long we will have Jay and Jay playing together like this.  Have to take advantage of it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 02:03:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

All I will say is I hope Danny drafts somebody who was highly productive in college and who projects as an impact player right away.

Tired of raw prospects who might do something a few years down the line.  This team needs productive supporting players to bolster Jay and Jay now, not a few years from now. 

You never know how long we will have Jay and Jay playing together like this.  Have to take advantage of it.

I don't mind trading the 14th pick. The time to win is now, not to develop rookies who might become the next Terry Rozier or Kelly Olynyk.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Cole Anthony could be available at pick 14. He was a top 5 recruit. He got hurt. His team sucked. He didn't shoot well and forced a lot of shots because his team sucked. He's not a great athlete but he could turn out to be a beast. He reminds me of a Baron Davis type player. This pick has DA written all over it.

I like other players at 14 as well but would like to trade up to around 7 or 8 if someone like Okongwu is still there.

I actually think his athleticism is one of his biggest strengths, kinda strange that you compare him to baron davis who was one of the most explosive guards i can remember and call him "not a great athlete"  ;D but maybe your standards are just super high. You can definitely see the potential with him, especially on offense of course. But i really like that he's a good rebounder for a guard and that he is competitive, that could mean that he could become a better defender aswell. If he falls to 14 I would definitely take him!
He's no Ja Morant, who I consider a great athlete. He doesn't jump out of the gym or have exceptional hang time, etc. He has pretty good body control though. He has similar skills/size to Baron Davis, doesn't mean he's AS explosive but can still be considered similar. Would a Ben Gordon comp do it for you?

Haha okay yeah he is not as athletic as ja morant who I would describe as a freak athlete, but I still feel like you underestimate his bounce.
Look at this and tell me if it changes your opinion  ;)

https://youtu.be/FVHn-s6900k
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I don't mind trading the 14th pick. The time to win is now, not to develop rookies who might become the next Terry Rozier or Kelly Olynyk.

Under valuing the drafting and development of young talent is a great way to cut the legs out from under a team. If a trade is available that makes the Cs better now and in the future I am all for it but short sited veteran acquisitions are dangerous when your foundation pieces are in their early 20s. Rookies are cost controlled players who if productive go along way to building a sustainable team.

If the Cs draft Maxey and he develops into Rozier I would consider that a successful pick and a nice piece for the post Kemba Celtics. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I suspect #14 will be a higher ceiling "project pick". The later 1st round or a trade into the early 2nd should have some nice options for more NBA ready players. Tillman, Azubuike, Bane, Riller, or Tillie
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

i would hope so. he is a 6'3" shooting guard. in 35 minutes  game:
- he shot 29% from 3 point land.
- he averaged 3.2 assists to 2.2 turnovers.
- he averaged 14 points a game.

maybe you are correct, but the stats don't flatter him.

I am a believer that UKs roster and rotation limited Maxey. Playing with two other 6'3 guards (Quickley and Hagans) placed Maxey in a role he wasn't accustom to.

In his last year of AAU he shot 41% from 3 on 7 attempts.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I suspect #14 will be a higher ceiling "project pick". The later 1st round or a trade into the early 2nd should have some nice options for more NBA ready players. Tillman, Azubuike, Bane, Riller, or Tillie

I've seen you bring up Tillman a few times and I've liked him too, but didn't he go back to school?

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I've seen you bring up Tillman a few times and I've liked him too, but didn't he go back to school?

That was a false rumor (Dickie V). He is definitely in the draft. Someone reported he got a first round promise, but I did not see the source.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

At 14?
Yes at 14. If Toppin can go top ten Smith can go 14. Everyone has him in the 20's but they are off. He should go top 18.

Toppin and Smith both really worry me on defense. Both will take a lot of scheming for BS to hide. Toppin is worse then Smith but both lack the perimeter mobility to switch onto smaller players and neither player has the size to be a drop rim protector.

Looking at the teams in the playoffs the bigs who are going to get consistent minutes are either

Legit BIGS (6'11+ 250+ with + length)

Brook and Robin Lopez
Vucevic
Gasol
Embiid
Turner
Mcgee and Howard
Nurkic and Whiteside
Zubac
KP
Jokic and Plumlee
Gobert
Adams
Allen

Or they are elite moving bigs who can jump out and defend smaller players in switches
Ibaka (getting slower but also has size to drop)
Horford
Theis
BAM
Harrell
Noel
Anthony Davis

It feels like defensive fit is often overlooked by draft fans. I think Obi will have a long NBA career but short of being an 8th or 9th man I don't think he ever has playoff success. He can be a 20ppg guy on a bad team I just don't see how a team wins with him on D. Smith is not as terrible on D but still will be exploited in match-ups and will have to shoot the lights out to warrant a role on a good team.

For the same reason I think Achiuwa, Tillman, Nnaji, and Tillie have higher ceilings as bigs who can move on the perimeter and that Azubuike could be a steal as a drop big in the 2nd round.

I feel Obi and Smith are better prospects because they are athletic with some length but also already feature some offense ability. I dont worry about their ability to bang in the paint as they still both manage good inside numbers and overall both are superior advance stats players across the board compared to the other bigs you mentioned. I dont want wishful thinking on guys that have more size or guys that are uber athletes but can't stretch the floor past 4 feet. I want a combination of features to make for a potential replacement for what Theis is. If you feel Theis is a great fit than Smith should be a guy you like at 14. I can accept getting a Theis like player locked up for 4 years at cheap money. Especially when you consider Theis and Kanter's contract situations.

Toppin isn't as big as people perceive at the Nike Academy he measured 6'8 (I assume without shoes) 218lbs with a 6'10.5" wingspan. Thats the same size as Tatum not an NBA center. On the perimeter Obi has high hips and struggles to get down to defend.

I don't see the Theis - Smith comp. They are similar height and length but Theis is probably 20lbs heavier and moves better laterally. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet