Author Topic: Jayson Tatum looks fantastic - breakout season?  (Read 17132 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum looks fantastic - breakout season?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If Tatum is the real deal he BETTER break out this year.  You tend to see large jumps early in the career of super stars.  We'll know this year whether Tatum can be placed on that pedestal.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
His best bucket was the only one you didn't post. I don't think it's in those highlights. He beat his man with a wicked spin then maneuvered around John Collins for a left handed layup. All star stuff.

Found it. First highlight here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT1cH-KhUwg&t=3s

Tatum has been working with Drew Hanlen this off-season:

Driving and getting downhill through contact and being able to finish around the rim is our No. 1 focus,” Hanlen said. “And then consistency when he’s shooting off the dribble or off a full-speed move from the 3-point line. Those are our two things, just getting to the rim and drawing fouls, and finishing when you do get to the rim, and then consistency with threes. We just want him to be more efficient, and we think he will be. He’s as locked in as I’ve ever seen him. He’s very, very locked in.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:23 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
His best bucket was the only one you didn't post. I don't think it's in those highlights. He beat his man with a wicked spin then maneuvered around John Collins for a left handed layup. All star stuff.

Driving and getting downhill through contact and being able to finish around the rim is our No. 1 focus,” Hanlen said. “And then consistency when he’s shooting off the dribble or off a full-speed move from the 3-point line. Those are our two things, just getting to the rim and drawing fouls, and finishing when you do get to the rim, and then consistency with threes. We just want him to be more efficient, and we think he will be. He’s as locked in as I’ve ever seen him. He’s very, very locked in.

He has been working with him since the age of 15 or 16 IIRC.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:19 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

He has been working with him since the age of 15 or 16 IIRC.

Yes.  I wanted to make the point that that great highlight posted by ETNCeltics was a perfect example of what Hanlen said they had been working on: finishing through contact and drawing a foul.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Jayson Tatum Looks Like A Superstar
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
JT had 22 points in the 4th quarter against the Hornets.

He outscored the whole Hornets team 22-16 in the 4th.

If there's going to be another Celtic going to the All-Star game this season, it's Jayson Tatum.

Jayson Tatum is living up to the potential of being Paul Pierce 2.0.

And he's only 21 years old!

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
career high

couldn't find a main thread - the merged one is from June 2018: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=88001.0

and de-mamba-ing thread: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=101372.0

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
He was having an up and down game until the 4th when he flipped a switch and everything he did turned to gold. If he can bottle that (except for 2 of the last 3 shots when he was obviously trying to get to 40) he'll be an All Star this year. Defensively he was solid as well. This was classic Tatum - irresistible, infuriating and intriguing all in one game.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Obviously Tatum was hot tonight.  Definitely shows flashes.  Let’s hope he can continue to polish his game.  As he gets older, he’s going to need to be able to get to the line if he’s to become a true star.  Otherwise his efficiency will never get to where it needs to be.

Re: Jayson Tatum Looks Like A Superstar
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:25 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

If there's going to be another Celtic going to the All-Star game this season, it's Jayson Tatum.

I think when he's at his best he looks and somewhat plays like PG13, but I'm not sure if you're calling him PP2.0 as a comp or because he's PP's kind of heir apparent on the Celtics.

I'm curious if anyone has a better single-player comp than PG13.  I'd definitely take that, Tatum peaking as a top 3 MVP vote getter would make us a true championship contender.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think when he's at his best he looks and somewhat plays like PG13, but I'm not sure if you're calling him PP2.0 as a comp or because he's PP's kind of heir apparent on the Celtics.

I'm curious if anyone has a better single-player comp than PG13.  I'd definitely take that, Tatum peaking as a top 3 MVP vote getter would make us a true championship contender.
I think Pierce is a pretty good comparison for Tatum, Paul George is quite a different imo (elite 3 and D guy with explosive shot creation, Tatum's strengths are a bit different as a low scalability volume scorer who plays elite help defence but isn't much better than average at man defence).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 11:27:03 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

I think Pierce is a pretty good comparison for Tatum, Paul George is quite a different imo (elite 3 and D guy with explosive shot creation, Tatum's strengths are a bit different as a low scalability volume scorer who plays elite help defence but isn't much better than average at man defence).

Pierce was a herky jerky offensive player whose length was far from elite, who was a much better passer than Tatum but never had the defensive impact metrics in his whole career that JT has at 21.  He was a great player but I feel these key differences make them look much different to me.

When Tatum plays like he does tonight, he looks more like what you described accurately about PG13 than Pierce, except I agree about the help defense vs. man defense to a degree.

Also, and this is the key part, he's 21.  Maybe 2-3 21-year olds in history have been as good as PG13 has been since coming to OKC and now the Clips.  I think if Tatum hits his peak, I'm seeing more PG13 than Pierce.  Beyond those comps, I haven't seen a lot of others except KD-lite, and I don't think it makes sense to compare him to KD at this point.

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3228
Obviously Tatum was hot tonight.  Definitely shows flashes.  Let’s hope he can continue to polish his game.  As he gets older, he’s going to need to be able to get to the line if he’s to become a true star.  Otherwise his efficiency will never get to where it needs to be.

He already gets fouled a lot, now he just needs to get some calls.

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2019, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Heir apparent on the Celts.

Tatum's individual defense is not on par with PG13.

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2019, 12:09:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

He already gets fouled a lot, now he just needs to get some calls.

That was the same problem Paul Pierce had early in his career.
The refs were not giving him the calls in his first couple of years in the league.

I think it's just a matter of time when getting to the FT line becomes a staple of Jayson Tatum's offense.

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 12:15:40 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Heir apparent on the Celts.

Tatum's individual defense is not on par with PG13.

Agreed.  It will get better but it's pretty much certain that it won't get that good.