Author Topic: Jayson Tatum looks fantastic - breakout season?  (Read 17131 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum looks fantastic - breakout season?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I liked how he took his time near the net yesterday

Either dunk it or stop and upfake are his best options

He will get max for sure

If a guy like Tobias Harris got max. Tatum is an easy max

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I feel like Tatum is a lot more confident when his shots are falling. Even when they aren't, he still ends up shooting himself out of a funk, but the problem is he resorts to really terrible fadeaways or tough shot selections.

I think someone like him could really benefit from the same trainer or fitness expert as Giannis, because Tatum could really become someone special.

I know people are down on his FG, TS%, and 3P%. But he's pretty much been better in every other statistical category across the board, and that is something we cannot just ignore.

I also know that people are assuming Tatum is the fulcrum of the offense, or the go-to-guy, but while he's averaging the most FGA, it's not by much. Kemba and Brown are only 2-3 FGA behind, which means the entire offense is clicking because everyone is getting a chance to shoot/score.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
Jayson Tatum has the highest DRPM among power fowards and the sixth highest among all players, behind Dunn, Barton, Butler, Leonard, and James.

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jayson Tatum has the highest DRPM among power fowards and the sixth highest among all players, behind Dunn, Barton, Butler, Leonard, and James.
Tatum hasn't really been playing the power forward position this year. Stevens has pretty consistently had Brown on the opposition's power forward on the defensive side of the ball all season. That's with both Hayward or Smart playing as the fifth starter.

I think you need to compare Tatum to SFs, the position he defenses most of the time.

Re: Jayson Tatum Looks Like A Superstar
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think when he's at his best he looks and somewhat plays like PG13, but I'm not sure if you're calling him PP2.0 as a comp or because he's PP's kind of heir apparent on the Celtics.

I'm curious if anyone has a better single-player comp than PG13.  I'd definitely take that, Tatum peaking as a top 3 MVP vote getter would make us a true championship contender.
PG is a 2-way player. Can't say the same thing about Tatum.

How about Carmelo? They are both ISO scorers at the 3-4 positions.

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
Tatum hasn't really been playing the power forward position this year. Stevens has pretty consistently had Brown on the opposition's power forward on the defensive side of the ball all season. That's with both Hayward or Smart playing as the fifth starter.

I think you need to compare Tatum to SFs, the position he defenses most of the time.

I thought about this. I disagree. My eye test tells me Tatum matches up with bigs as much as Brown. Every place I can find lists him with the majority of his minutes at power forward.

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »

• Paul Silas
I think when he's at his best he looks and somewhat plays like PG13, but I'm not sure if you're calling him PP2.0 as a comp or because he's PP's kind of heir apparent on the Celtics.

I'm curious if anyone has a better single-player comp than PG13.  I'd definitely take that, Tatum peaking as a top 3 MVP vote getter would make us a true championship contender.

You absolutely can say that about Tatum. He's not the lock-down individual defender George was early on, but Tatum is an excellent team defender, extremely versatile, and gets a lot of deflections, steals, and blocks.

Tatum is a better defender right now arguably than Melo ever was.

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Yeah there’s definitely some Carmelo there on the offensive side of the ball and already being very good as a teenager, but I do think Tatum is a 2-way player (as does CBS based on his Charlotte post game presser), he just isn’t / won’t be the on-ball defender PG13 is.

I think there’s a real chance that whenever he peaks, he comes closer to approaching PG13’s impact on D than being the net negative that Carmelo is/was, but that doesn’t mean it will actually be close, just that he gap between PG13 and Carmelo is pretty freakin huge.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2019, 01:55:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I thought about this. I disagree. My eye test tells me Tatum matches up with bigs as much as Brown. Every place I can find lists him with the majority of his minutes at power forward.
Go check out who they matched up against on NBA.com. It tells a bit of a different story.

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »

• Paul Silas

Go check out who they matched up against on NBA.com. It tells a bit of a different story.

I have a tough time navigating some of their stats. Could you get me a link?

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
https://stats.nba.com/player/1628369/matchups/

https://stats.nba.com/player/1627759/matchups/

Notice two games versus Dallas and it was Brown on Porzingas. Two games versus NY, Brown on Randle and Tatum on the SF Morris. Against Toronto it was Brown on Siakim. Against a full Philly team it was Brown on Horford. Etc. Etc.

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2019, 04:59:29 PM »

• Paul Silas

Notice two games versus Dallas and it was Brown on Porzingas. Two games versus NY, Brown on Randle and Tatum on the SF Morris. Against Toronto it was Brown on Siakim. Against a full Philly team it was Brown on Horford. Etc. Etc.

Thanks. I guess Brown might cover bigs a bit more, especially with certain matchups, but I see Tatum on Morris, Finney Smith, Warren, Bjelica, Green, Simmons, Randle.

Seems a little nitpicky. I guess my main point was that Tatum's defense has been really good. Even among small forwards, his DRPM is fourth behind James, Butler, and Leonard. I was mainly just trying to show that he is an upper-tier team defender in the NBA at his position.

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

You absolutely can say that about Tatum. He's not the lock-down individual defender George was early on, but Tatum is an excellent team defender, extremely versatile, and gets a lot of deflections, steals, and blocks.

Tatum is a better defender right now arguably than Melo ever was.
I agree regarding deflections.  Tatum has a knack for jumping passes and either getting a steal or deflecting the ball.  Does that better than anyone on the team, including smart and kemba.

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jayson Tatum continues rise towards superstardom after career night against Hornets
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/12/23/21034648/jayson-tatum-continues-to-rise-to-superstardom-after-career-night-boston-celtics-charlotte-hornets

Jayson Tatum has the superstar instinct to take over and control the game on his level. It is something the Celtics will occasionally rely on if their other stars are having an off night. They will all channel around this as a team. Against Charlotte, this was the case. The team saw Tatum heating up, and they cleared the way for him. It was a special night, and it will not be the last of these dominant games.

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2019, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Thanks. I guess Brown might cover bigs a bit more, especially with certain matchups, but I see Tatum on Morris, Finney Smith, Warren, Bjelica, Green, Simmons, Randle.

Seems a little nitpicky. I guess my main point was that Tatum's defense has been really good. Even among small forwards, his DRPM is fourth behind James, Butler, and Leonard. I was mainly just trying to show that he is an upper-tier team defender in the NBA at his position.

Not only that, but those three also lead the entire league, not just small forwards.  And in fact Tatum is fourth in the league, by that measure.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021