Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 77660 times)

Re: Kemba Walker (Woj - Celts are favorites - Page 16)
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You secure Kemba. That is the first priority.

Then you have time to make a move to get a big.

Question...if they trade for a big, do they still have the exception freed up to sign another player?
Yes the room exception isn't something you lose. The only way they would lose it would some sort of situation where the C's get hard capped and then didn't have enough room under the apron to use it.

« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
brown and a later first is probably what indianna would want for sabonis if they have any interest in moving him.  I think I would do that if we are getting kemba.  I prefer using smart as the PG and spending the $ on a center, but that is just me.

I think we absolutely have to do that for Sabonis, although i'm not sure a pick is needed.
I think the big question on Brown is if we are willing to shell out 20-25 mil for him next year, of course assuming he takes the leap we expect him to this year. Something tells me Ainge is not, and if that is the case he's gotta get value for him now.
Why would we hesitate to pay a Brown that's broken out 20-25 million per year when we paid Hayward 32 million per year on a four year deal? Makes no sense to me at all.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Kemba Walker (Woj - Celts are favorites)
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
Following Following @AdamMKaufman
More
.@wojespn continues on ESPN, saying the #Celtics and Kemba Walker are focused on one another when free agency begins Sunday evening.

@JalenRose lauds Walker's attitude upgrade from Kyrie Irving's time in Boston.

This sounds like Gordon Hayward sweepstakes all over again.

But I hope Kemba gets the deal done in one day and not drag it out too long to July 4.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
brown and a later first is probably what indianna would want for sabonis if they have any interest in moving him.  I think I would do that if we are getting kemba.  I prefer using smart as the PG and spending the $ on a center, but that is just me.

I think we absolutely have to do that for Sabonis, although i'm not sure a pick is needed.
I think the big question on Brown is if we are willing to shell out 20-25 mil for him next year, of course assuming he takes the leap we expect him to this year. Something tells me Ainge is not, and if that is the case he's gotta get value for him now.
Why would we hesitate to pay a Brown that's broken out 20-25 million per year when we paid Hayward 32 million per year on a four year deal? Makes no sense to me at all.
We'd only hesitate if we planned on keeping Hayward/Tatum as similar max type salary wings. Hard to pay 3 wings huge dollars. So a lot depends on what we see from Hayward and whether or not we feel we can retain him.

« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
Following Following @AdamMKaufman
More
.@wojespn continues on ESPN, saying the #Celtics and Kemba Walker are focused on one another when free agency begins Sunday evening.

@JalenRose lauds Walker's attitude upgrade from Kyrie Irving's time in Boston.

This sounds like Gordon Hayward sweepstakes all over again.

But I hope Kemba gets the deal done in one day and not drag it out too long to July 4.
It doesn't sound like he's going to do meetings, if so it should resolve itself faster one way or another.

« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2019, 10:59:44 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think if you are dealing with Indiana, I want Turner. They need his defense vs the Sixers and Bucks.

He also shoots nearly 40 percent from 3. Would allow you to still do some of the things they did with Al.

THe difference between turner(who I also like) and sabonis is $$$$$.  Sabonis and brown are in the same contract situation and roughly the same dollars.  Turner already got his extension and is thus too expensive (18m off the top of my head)to add without nixing the kemba opportunity or a GH trade.  They are similar offensive players IMHO numbers wise with JB having better defense and sabonis having the size.  Maybe they take a straight up trade, but I doubt it.  Also love the idea of a KP for brown+memphis type trade but I doubt dallas would do that.  Probably can't happen anyhow as KP is restricted, so it would have to be a sign and trade and then the dollars screw it up.

« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Feel like Kemba is not going to stretch this out like Hayward did. Think this will be done sooner than later. Give Danny more time to find big help.

« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
Unreal you guys wanting Kemba so bad.  Let's move on as quickly as possible whatever the cost so we have good feelings again ::)

« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not surprising...might be important now:

Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 50s51 seconds ago
More
Per sources, Celtics forward Semi Ojeleye's contract for next season is being guaranteed. No surprise there.

« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

He would have to make the same decision on Sabonis.

If Brown takes another leap, why wouldn't Ainge pay him big time? To me, the quandary with Brown is if he plays well, but doesn't really take a leap. Then you probably have to see what happens with him as an RFA.

« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Unreal you guys wanting Kemba so bad.  Let's move on as quickly as possible whatever the cost so we have good feelings again ::)
I understand reservations about paying him max, but he just made all nba 3rd team, and is a 3 time all star. It's not like Ainge would be rushing to overpay a so-so player.

« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It’s not about feelings, it’s about building a winning team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
You win in the NBA with superstars. Give me Kemba.

I have no interest in keeping Rozier and adding Lopez and Danny Green. That does not do much.

I love Kemba, but come on, superstar??

And FWIW, I never thought Kyrie was a superstar either, even when people asked if he was 2-3 years ago.

I put Kemba/Kyrie/Lillard in a similar guard tier (behind the absolute highest tier) where they are legit stars but fringe superstars at best. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If we get Kemba, could Sabonis be had for Yabu and picks? I'd hate to give up Brown.

« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Kembas a good player though. And I feel he can thrive and maybe be even better and more efficient he never had a whole lotta help in that Charlotte roster.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk