Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 77668 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Makes no sense to me. When we sign Walker we have used all our cap space. We didn't draft a center. We let Baynes go for cap space. We almost only have guards and wings on the roster. Are Ainge/Stevens that extreme that they think that total positionless basketball is the way forward?

If we start our 5 best players, it will look like this (I'd find that crazy, although there's a small margin between genius and crazy):

Starting: Walker/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Smart

(bench: Edwards, Langford, Ojeleye, G.Williams, R.Williams)

In football (soccer) Spain used a revolutionary system of 4-6-0 (no strikers/attackers) and they became European Champions in 2012, but I can't see something weird like that working in basketball.

We don't have the cap space to sign a starting caliber center somewhere, so this must be a false rumour.

Kemba would be one shoe dropping.  The other shoe would have to be trading a swing or wing not named Jayson Tatum (and perhaps other non-Memphis assets) for a big man, with the wing in question depending on whom we'd get.  I think I'd prefer this to an MLE-caliber big man.

Capela comes to mind, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay the cost if it's Brown, Hayward, even Smart.  I don't know if Adams would work if OKC doesn't get cap relief in the deal.  Maybe Indy would be interested in Indiana product Langford, RW3 and a pick for Sabonis or Turner?

The bottom line is if the Celtics can trade for a big, signing Kemba could be great for us and not simultaneously leave us with a huge hole.

I would LOVE Sabonis
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Kemba Walker (Woj - Celts are favorites)
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think either Sabonis or Turner would cost Jaylen, so I wouldn't target them too much.

« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am all for moving the Memphis pick to get a big.

« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:31 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 630
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Mods, I have a request for these big merged threads, as someone who doesn't really like them too much and forgets what page I last read.

It's great that you've updated the title to include the Woj update about us as favorites, but can you also post what page of the thread features this news getting broken?  In general, if a mega-thread provides key updates in the title as they occur, and what page they're on, it really helps.

Thanks, you guys are doing a great job and while it's not your fault I have a hard time with the mega-threads, any help would be appreciated.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #289 on: June 27, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The salary matching is the tough part.

Smart is a value deal and fills as big a need (especially with Kemba as your PG). Jaylen is too talented to send out for anything sort of another all-star talent.

I think we'll just cobble it together with the exception and other budget big men.

« Reply #290 on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Smart + Yabu + Milwaukee #1 for Capela?

Capela
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Kemba

That’s a pretty compelling lineup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #291 on: June 27, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Capela
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Kemba

Hate to lose Smart but that would make the most sense. Would not mind moving the Memphis pick in a deal like this if needed.

« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The salary matching is the tough part.

Smart is a value deal and fills as big a need (especially with Kemba as your PG). Jaylen is too talented to send out for anything sort of another all-star talent.

I think we'll just cobble it together with the exception and other budget big men.

I agree. If they can get a decent big for the exception and not have to move Smart or Brown...that would be ok with me.

Of the 2, i would move Smart over Brown. Hard for me to see Brown being moved when Danny would not budge with him for Leonard.

« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I think it will take extraordinary value for Ainge to ever let go of Smart.

« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Capela
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Kemba

Hate to lose Smart but that would make the most sense. Would not mind moving the Memphis pick in a deal like this if needed.

The memphis pick is a guaranteed lottery pick, Smart + the memphis pick for Capela is wayyyy too much to give up.

Re: Kemba Walker (Woj - Celts are favorites - Page 16)
« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
You secure Kemba. That is the first priority.

Then you have time to make a move to get a big.

Question...if they trade for a big, do they still have the exception freed up to sign another player?

« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
brown and a later first is probably what indianna would want for sabonis if they have any interest in moving him.  I think I would do that if we are getting kemba.  I prefer using smart as the PG and spending the $ on a center, but that is just me.

« Reply #297 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think if you are dealing with Indiana, I want Turner. They need his defense vs the Sixers and Bucks.

He also shoots nearly 40 percent from 3. Would allow you to still do some of the things they did with Al.

« Reply #298 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Capela
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Kemba

Yeah, moving Smart for Capela makes sense. One value high level role player for another.

I do worry about Capela away from Harden though. How much of his value is dependent on an offensive super nova making offense much easier for him.

« Reply #299 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
brown and a later first is probably what indianna would want for sabonis if they have any interest in moving him.  I think I would do that if we are getting kemba.  I prefer using smart as the PG and spending the $ on a center, but that is just me.

I think we absolutely have to do that for Sabonis, although i'm not sure a pick is needed.
I think the big question on Brown is if we are willing to shell out 20-25 mil for him next year, of course assuming he takes the leap we expect him to this year. Something tells me Ainge is not, and if that is the case he's gotta get value for him now.