Author Topic: Stein:whispers getting louder c's could trade smart to move up to high lottery  (Read 20085 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Most intriguing NBA draft ever and that's how I feel about it

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Boston desperately need a franchise prospect ... That's not smart. I like smart though

So we should just hurriedly deal guys who aren't going to be franchise guys but could very well make an All-Star team for a guy that might have the potential to be a franchise guy?

Edit: ... but probably won't ever be, like Smart?
I had smart 8th on my board last year and he ended up worse than I thought he'd be. I like him a lot, but I give him up if we can get a franchise prospect.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Most intriguing NBA draft ever and that's how I feel about it
until we have the nets top 5 pick next year ;D

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Trading smart for a pick is a great idea...if that picks the 1st overall. Smart, Sullinger, #16, #28, and Brooklyns 2016 1st for Bennett and Karl Towns works for me...but we all know thats not happening.

TP
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Oh and for the people lamenting Banks 2.0 being traded, maybe you shouldn't have supported that awful playoff run. The tankers were correct as we always have been. You cannot get a star in a middle market like Boston unless you tank hard.

That loser mentality is welcome in Philly.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Boston desperately need a franchise prospect ... That's not smart. I like smart though

So we should just hurriedly deal guys who aren't going to be franchise guys but could very well make an All-Star team for a guy that might have the potential to be a franchise guy?

I had smart 8th on my board last year and he ended up worse than I thought he'd be. I like him a lot, but I give him up if we can get a franchise prospect.

Again, I'm just curious which of the top 10 outside of the first 3 had a better rookie year. The rest of those guys were injured all year, stunk when they played, or couldn't even get on the court. Smart is also just as young as the rest, so I guess this is why I'm so insistent on figuring out your logic on Smart. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I genuinely didn't know you liked Smart at all. Hey, ya learn something new everyday... I agree on trading Smart (despite how much I love him) if it means getting a potential generational talent, but inherently that is quite a rare situation.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Oh and for the people lamenting Banks 2.0 being traded, maybe you shouldn't have supported that awful playoff run. The tankers were correct as we always have been. You cannot get a star in a middle market like Boston unless you tank hard.

That loser mentality is welcome in Philly.

Not to mention, Boston is the 7th largest media market in the United States. The Celtics are currently 9th in merchandise sales, which is pretty good considering that they don't have any stars and are not in contention.

Sources:
http://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/10-most-popular-nba-teams-according-to-merchandise-sales-slideshow/two-oklahoma-city-thunder-fans-hold-face-prints-photo-153321005.html

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
DA will trade anyone for the right offer, but it has been widely reported by reputable sources, the Philly offer never happened.  This looks like a smokescreen and Stein's source is probably the same source as the Philly trade rumor.

Maybe DA is trying to drum up interest in Smart or maybe a rival GM is trying to sweat DA.  No one knows except the involved parties, but what I know is that DA has been doing all of the right things in the rebuilding (IMHO) and I trust his judgement.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Finally! Danny admits his mistake with Marcus Banks 2.0 and moves him. Time to move on.

That's what we've been telling you for the whole year, move on! Yet your infatuation and persistence with name dropping "Marcus Banks 2.0" has been undeterred.

You still haven't told me why he isn't Banks 2.0. Hes Banks with a poor man TA's defense. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so since the Celtics are going to give him away to move up. Randle recently WOWED people in his workout in LA. I don't like saying the Lakers have a better future, it pains me. But Danny screwed up bad. It worked out even better that he missed all of last year too. Thats a good thing. It didn't hurt his value one bit and gave him an opportunity to really grow and adjust. He's going to have a better season than Banks 2.0. Better career too when Banks 2.0 plays with Banks 1.0 in China in 4 years.

In what parallel universe is this true?

The same universe where he is still rated as a higher prospect in execs eyes than Banks 2.0 is. Its called reality. Randle is just a much better player overall. Can't teach his post moves or size.

His size?! He's undersized for a PF, and he can't play defense in a game that's placing a premium on two way players. As of right now, Smart is more valuable and the fact you would even suggest Randle is just adds to the reasons why we don't think your actually a Celtic fan.

Smart can be the centerpiece of a Cousins trade, along with a Brooklyn pick or two. Randle couldn't be. That's a horrendous statement.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I've said this many times, if Boston is a "small market" that "can't attract free agents," every team in the NBA other than the LA and NY teams should just roll over and give up.

We're not a "destination city" but very few teams in the NBA are.

Great words from a great man

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Again, I'm just curious which of the top 10 outside of the first 3 had a better rookie year. The rest of those guys were injured all year, stunk when they played, or couldn't even get on the court. Smart is also just as young as the rest, so I guess this is why I'm so insistent on figuring out your logic on Smart. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Smart was billed as NBA ready where guys like Vonleh, Exum,  Gordon, Saric, and Embiid(due to injury) were all expected to be projects of one kind or another.

I still think that in a redraft Smart definitely goes behind Wiggins and Parker, its hard to say on Embiid because the foot is such a question mark, but assuming its just healing a bit slowly Embiid goes in front of him too. After that Id say its Smart and Payton. For me Id take Smart but I see why people would take Payton
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Finally! Danny admits his mistake with Marcus Banks 2.0 and moves him. Time to move on.

That's what we've been telling you for the whole year, move on! Yet your infatuation and persistence with name dropping "Marcus Banks 2.0" has been undeterred.

You still haven't told me why he isn't Banks 2.0. Hes Banks with a poor man TA's defense. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so since the Celtics are going to give him away to move up. Randle recently WOWED people in his workout in LA. I don't like saying the Lakers have a better future, it pains me. But Danny screwed up bad. It worked out even better that he missed all of last year too. Thats a good thing. It didn't hurt his value one bit and gave him an opportunity to really grow and adjust. He's going to have a better season than Banks 2.0. Better career too when Banks 2.0 plays with Banks 1.0 in China in 4 years.

The same universe where he is still rated as a higher prospect in execs eyes than Banks 2.0 is. Its called reality. Randle is just a much better player overall. Can't teach his post moves or size.

His size?! He's undersized for a PF, and he can't play defense in a game that's placing a premium on two way players. As of right now, Smart is more valuable and the fact you would even suggest Randle is just adds to the reasons why we don't think your actually a Celtic fan.

Smart can be the centerpiece of a Cousins trade, along with a Brooklyn pick or two. Randle couldn't be. That's a horrendous statement.

Apparently someone isn't paying attention to recent rumors. Randle IS the deal breaker for the Lakers. What did Banks 2.0 do last year to make him better than Randle? Its like a stock. Randle didn't do anything to help or hurt his stock from last year, Banks 2.0 plummeted.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Apparently someone isn't paying attention to recent rumors. Randle IS the deal breaker for the Lakers. What did Banks 2.0 do last year to make him better than Randle? Its like a stock. Randle didn't do anything to help or hurt his stock from last year, Banks 2.0 plummeted.

You're saying a season-ending injury doesn't impact a player's stock in any way? So if "Banks 2.0" had broken his leg on day one and never played, he'd have higher stock?

Great words from a great man

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If wed taken Randle I have a feeling CB8883 would be moaning about how we took a poor mans sullinger and how we are completely doomed and should have taken the defensive phenom Marcus Smart.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.