Author Topic: Stein:whispers getting louder c's could trade smart to move up to high lottery  (Read 20102 times)

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Boston desperately need a franchise prospect ... That's not smart. I like smart though

So we should just hurriedly deal guys who aren't going to be franchise guys but could very well make an All-Star team for a guy that might have the potential to be a franchise guy?

Edit: ... but probably won't ever be, like Smart?

I had smart 8th on my board last year and he ended up worse than I thought he'd be. I like him a lot, but I give him up if we can get a franchise prospect.

Did you have Aaron Gordon and Dante Exum ahead of Smart? He did worst than those two top 5 picks?

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
Great. This is Chauncey Billups all over again. Danny really has to save his Rick Pitino impersonation for draft day? Lame.
why are you drawing a definitive conclusion based upon a rumor? i find it best not to confuse rumors with reality.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Finally! Danny admits his mistake with Marcus Banks 2.0 and moves him. Time to move on.

That's what we've been telling you for the whole year, move on! Yet your infatuation and persistence with name dropping "Marcus Banks 2.0" has been undeterred.

You still haven't told me why he isn't Banks 2.0. Hes Banks with a poor man TA's defense. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so since the Celtics are going to give him away to move up. Randle recently WOWED people in his workout in LA. I don't like saying the Lakers have a better future, it pains me. But Danny screwed up bad. It worked out even better that he missed all of last year too. Thats a good thing. It didn't hurt his value one bit and gave him an opportunity to really grow and adjust. He's going to have a better season than Banks 2.0. Better career too when Banks 2.0 plays with Banks 1.0 in China in 4 years.

In what parallel universe is this true?

The same universe where he is still rated as a higher prospect in execs eyes than Banks 2.0 is. Its called reality. Randle is just a much better player overall. Can't teach his post moves or size.

His size?! He's undersized for a PF, and he can't play defense in a game that's placing a premium on two way players. As of right now, Smart is more valuable and the fact you would even suggest Randle is just adds to the reasons why we don't think your actually a Celtic fan.

Smart can be the centerpiece of a Cousins trade, along with a Brooklyn pick or two. Randle couldn't be. That's a horrendous statement.
If wed taken Randle I have a feeling CB8883 would be moaning about how we took a poor mans sullinger and how we are completely doomed and should have taken the defensive phenom Marcus Smart.

Negative. Look back to last years draft thread. I hated him from day 1 for a lottery pick but I actually didn't mind Young. Even if he reached his ceiling of TA is that good for a lottery pick? Let alone a 6th pick in a draft full of potential stars? Randle is undersized for PF but hes great down low. I would take the taller player any day of the week.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3008
Boston desperately need a franchise prospect ... That's not smart. I like smart though

So we should just hurriedly deal guys who aren't going to be franchise guys but could very well make an All-Star team for a guy that might have the potential to be a franchise guy?

I had smart 8th on my board last year and he ended up worse than I thought he'd be. I like him a lot, but I give him up if we can get a franchise prospect.

You're the only one in the world who thinks any of that. And tell me this, if you had him 8th on your board (ha!) and he ended up 6th in All-Rookie voting, how in the hell did he end worse than you thought he'd be? Ridiculousness.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It will have to be noel plus 3 kind of situation. Dont expect smart to be traded otherwise. He is a big part as to what this team wants to do moving fwd. 

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Finally! Danny admits his mistake with Marcus Banks 2.0 and moves him. Time to move on.

That's what we've been telling you for the whole year, move on! Yet your infatuation and persistence with name dropping "Marcus Banks 2.0" has been undeterred.

You still haven't told me why he isn't Banks 2.0. Hes Banks with a poor man TA's defense. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so since the Celtics are going to give him away to move up. Randle recently WOWED people in his workout in LA. I don't like saying the Lakers have a better future, it pains me. But Danny screwed up bad. It worked out even better that he missed all of last year too. Thats a good thing. It didn't hurt his value one bit and gave him an opportunity to really grow and adjust. He's going to have a better season than Banks 2.0. Better career too when Banks 2.0 plays with Banks 1.0 in China in 4 years.

The same universe where he is still rated as a higher prospect in execs eyes than Banks 2.0 is. Its called reality. Randle is just a much better player overall. Can't teach his post moves or size.

His size?! He's undersized for a PF, and he can't play defense in a game that's placing a premium on two way players. As of right now, Smart is more valuable and the fact you would even suggest Randle is just adds to the reasons why we don't think your actually a Celtic fan.

Smart can be the centerpiece of a Cousins trade, along with a Brooklyn pick or two. Randle couldn't be. That's a horrendous statement.

Apparently someone isn't paying attention to recent rumors. Randle IS the deal breaker for the Lakers. What did Banks 2.0 do last year to make him better than Randle? Its like a stock. Randle didn't do anything to help or hurt his stock from last year, Banks 2.0 plummeted.
Recent rumors are that LA doesnt want to include him in a deal. I believe this is probably because they know his stock plummeted this season and trading him now is selling low. Doesnt that sound about right. Also rumors hardly mean anything. I havent seen the rumor that says that Sac wants Randle in any Cousins trade only that LA wont include him. #2 alone wont get Cousins and all LA has is #2 Randle and Clarkson so when you take one of 3 assets you have off the table then negotiations get pretty stale pretty quick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This must be plan B to get Okafor if we can't make a move for 9.  I'm not sure I like it so much if we deal  Smart.

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

Apparently someone isn't paying attention to recent rumors. Randle IS the deal breaker for the Lakers. What did Banks 2.0 do last year to make him better than Randle? Its like a stock. Randle didn't do anything to help or hurt his stock from last year, Banks 2.0 plummeted.

You're saying a season-ending injury doesn't impact a player's stock in any way? So if "Banks 2.0" had broken his leg on day one and never played, he'd have higher stock?

His stock would not have changed. So he would still have the same value as this time last year, in theory. Who knows. His game in predicated on quickness so it might have harmed him a bit.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
marcus banks 2.0

(Copyright cb8883)

Barf
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd be so reluctant to deal Smart.  The guy is developing nicely and everything points to him being very good in the near future.  Unless we're sure of getting something better, I'd probably not do it.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

You're saying a season-ending injury doesn't impact a player's stock in any way? So if "Banks 2.0" had broken his leg on day one and never played, he'd have higher stock?

Well isn't it obvious??? Injuries now improve players' stocks, or worst case scenario, their stock's don't take any hit whatsoever. It's not like the human body is important to athletics in any way.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You're the only one in the world who thinks any of that. And tell me this, if you had him 8th on your board (ha!) and he ended up 6th in All-Rookie voting, how in the hell did he end worse than you thought he'd be? Ridiculousness.
Heh... If you wouldn't trade smart for embiid or Jabari Parker right now, you're cray.  So spare me his "6th in rookie voting" thing.  I had him 8th on my board.  I sAw him as an NBA ready guy who would average 15, 5 and 5 out of the gate, be a top 4 rookie, but long term others would surpass him.  I was disappointed with his rookie campaign.  Great defensive player though.  I'd move him for someone with star potential.

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
marcus banks 2.0

(Copyright cb8883)

Barf

SMH, can anyone name a rookie that made more game winning plays than Smart last year?

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja

well, for one thing, smart actually played in more than a single, solitary game, something randle did not accomplish. hard to get much smaller samples sizes than this, isnt it?

please, statements such as this make your arguments look like card houses....so absurdly easy to knock down. your points are better served by not being extreme and by respecting the counter points others may raise.

also, honestly, as a fellow poster here at cb, your repeated use of the trite, shallow, and midleading term of "bank 2.0" is not being viewed as witty by other readers. the usage opens you up to possible ridicule and detracts from the good points that you do make. as a friendly suggestion, i think it is about time you put this one to rest.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2185

Heh... If you wouldn't trade smart for embiid or Jabari Parker right now, you're cray.  So spare me his "6th in rookie voting" thing.  I had him 8th on my board.  I sAw him as an NBA ready guy who would average 15, 5 and 5 out of the gate, be a top 4 rookie, but long term others would surpass him.  I was disappointed with his rookie campaign.  Great defensive player though.  I'd move him for someone with star potential.

15/5/5?  Do share some of what you're smoking with me. 

It's no wonder why you were disappointed.  Unrealistic expectations.