Author Topic: [Charania] Magic steps down as President of Basketball Operations (*Walton gone)  (Read 15327 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I find it comical that it is just coming out after Magic resigns that he was hardly ever there at the office, working it. 

What happened to investigative reporting skills? Reporters only seem interested in aligning with a source, be it a player, a GM, an owner, and protecting that source at all costs.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The more Magic talks the more dumb the Lakers organization looks. Had no business hiring him.
NY & LA
2 biggest markets, 2 siblings and their poorly run inherited franchises.

Lakers first committed themselves for last 3 Kobe's years, which were abysmal.
gave him a lot of cash. That sapped their cap space and of course, took away the ball from the kids in need of repetitions.
The kids, 3 no 2. picks are all suspicious picks up to this point.
Ball (durability, shot), Ingram (heart, shot) and Russell (BKN) are small return.
Their no. 7 pick Randle (NOLA) also didn't give much return.
Then LA decided to clear the space and build around a guy coming into his 17 season.
Not any guy, but 17th year, played 8 finals in a row.
That is by any team-building standard a questionable and historically speaking this has no record of happening.
Building a contender around a guy who is that spent.
Who, it looks like, is gone from his close to prime, 1st violin type of years.
Now LA has a possibly deciding summer at their hands.
Who's hands? Magic is gone, came like a thunder from a clear sky.
Pelinka? How long he stays?
Jeannie?
Lebron?

Their future isn't promising anything for the next 3 years.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 893
  • GOT IT!!!
I find it comical that it is just coming out after Magic resigns that he was hardly ever there at the office, working it. 

What happened to investigative reporting skills? Reporters only seem interested in aligning with a source, be it a player, a GM, an owner, and protecting that source at all costs.

Lovable Magic could talk the shine off a diamond. They weren't going to ever say anything disparaging against him lol

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561

It isn't just coming out now.  I heard it mentioned a few times since Magic took over and I don't pay much attention to the Lakers. 

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Supposedly, there was a disagreement between whether to draft Lonzo or De'Aron Fox during the 2017 NBA draft.

Reportedly, Magic wanted Fox but Jeannie pushed him to draft Lonzo.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/nba-rumors-lakers-drafting-lonzo-ball-over-deaaron-fox-was-tension-point

Also, clearly Lebron and the team were devastated with the news last night
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/10/lebron-james-rajon-rondo-kyle-kuzma-javale-mcgee-lakers/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:36:23 PM by gpap »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

It isn't just coming out now.  I heard it mentioned a few times since Magic took over and I don't pay much attention to the Lakers.

ESPN’s Dave Mcnanimin wrote comprehensive history of all the things that went wrong for Lakers in the last 2 years and I don’t recall one word written about Magic being absentee owner. Let me know where you read about this before Magic’s resignation. Thx

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
Craziest thing about that press conference he gave was when he kept saying how much he loves Jeanie Buss but he hasn't told her he's quitting. How are you going to tell the world you're quitting your job before you tell your boss and then try to say that actually she's family and you love her? That's insane.

Also, I listened to Simmons and Mannix talk about how this is totally on-brand for Magic. Try something, find out it's work and not much fun, quit. Him as a coach, him as a talk show host, etc. I can't help but think, if you were 31 years old and a doctor told you you're going to die very soon and that was your reality for a few years and then you wound up beating the illness and not just surviving but having a great life, maybe you just wouldn't want to ever do anything other than have fun for the rest of your life.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Craziest thing about that press conference he gave was when he kept saying how much he loves Jeanie Buss but he hasn't told her he's quitting. How are you going to tell the world you're quitting your job before you tell your boss and then try to say that actually she's family and you love her? That's insane.

Also, I listened to Simmons and Mannix talk about how this is totally on-brand for Magic. Try something, find out it's work and not much fun, quit. Him as a coach, him as a talk show host, etc. I can't help but think, if you were 31 years old and a doctor told you you're going to die very soon and that was your reality for a few years and then you wound up beating the illness and not just surviving but having a great life, maybe you just wouldn't want to ever do anything other than have fun for the rest of your life.
Don't think I ever thought about that angle. Could definitely play a role in why he lives the way he does
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Don't think I ever thought about that angle. Could definitely play a role in why he lives the way he does
Dude is part owner of the Dodgers. Does he really need to be working? I think I last saw his wealth to be estimated at around $750 million. Go have fun Magic.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Dude is part owner of the Dodgers. Does he really need to be working? I think I last saw his wealth to be estimated at around $750 million. Go have fun Magic.

I have no issue with him stepping down. If his heart's not in it, then it's best for him and the team for him to be upfront about it. Still think he should have made a real effort to tell Jeanie before announcing it publicly.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Luke Walton has shown me nothing that would indicate to me he is even an average NBA coach.  He made a lot of fundamental mistakes and coaching blunders.  And he doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I really don't get the love affair that Buss has with him.  He should be fired.

Maybe, he was the first guy to stand up to LeBron.    This season is not on Walton it is one LeBron, he is not the best player on the planet anymore.   He is probably top five but he sure as heck is not top three.   Giannis and Harden are better.   One could make an argument for Durant over him as well.   He is athletically starting to fade.

That said, Magic should have also been fired.  He created a trainwreck of a roster.  He had to pursue and sign Lebron (you can debate whether he is worth it, but it had to be done), but aside from drafting Kuzma, basically every other move the Lakers made since he took over has been an unmitigated disaster.  The roster construction was atrocious.  The trades were awful and the free agents signings were even worse.  And then knowing he wasn't going to put in the real work required to be the President of a basketball team, he hired an unproven agent to be the basketball guy.  Just an unmitigated disaster as an executive.  The Lakers are lucky he resigned.  He did them a favor.

LeBron has done this kind of stuff on every team he has been on.   When he talks GM gets the guys he wants.   They tried it with Davis and alienated the whole team.   I think LeBron given his record deserves equal blame.    Magic won't say but could he be leaving because of LeBron?

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Walton's out

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Luke Walton has shown me nothing that would indicate to me he is even an average NBA coach.  He made a lot of fundamental mistakes and coaching blunders.  And he doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I really don't get the love affair that Buss has with him.  He should be fired.

Maybe, he was the first guy to stand up to LeBron.    This season is not on Walton it is one LeBron, he is not the best player on the planet anymore.   He is probably top five but he sure as heck is not top three.   Giannis and Harden are better.   One could make an argument for Durant over him as well.   He is athletically starting to fade.

That said, Magic should have also been fired.  He created a trainwreck of a roster.  He had to pursue and sign Lebron (you can debate whether he is worth it, but it had to be done), but aside from drafting Kuzma, basically every other move the Lakers made since he took over has been an unmitigated disaster.  The roster construction was atrocious.  The trades were awful and the free agents signings were even worse.  And then knowing he wasn't going to put in the real work required to be the President of a basketball team, he hired an unproven agent to be the basketball guy.  Just an unmitigated disaster as an executive.  The Lakers are lucky he resigned.  He did them a favor.

LeBron has done this kind of stuff on every team he has been on.   When he talks GM gets the guys he wants.   They tried it with Davis and alienated the whole team.   I think LeBron given his record deserves equal blame.    Magic won't say but could he be leaving because of LeBron?

I don't think there is any way he is a top 5 player in the league. He is a complete one way player at this point in his career. Leonard, Durant, Giannis, Harden, George all completely dwarf his impact on the floor. Even a two way guy like embiid has a bigger impact on the game.

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Heard Ty Lue is the frontrunner. This makes my day.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
Tyronn Lue? You can't make this stuff up man.

Lakers are officially Cavaliers West.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)