Author Topic: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing Kyrie Free Agency  (Read 2287 times)

Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing Kyrie Free Agency
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I was listening to Ainge talk on my way in to work this a.m., glad Kaufman was able to transcribe it. It definitely made me laugh and put me at ease with things.

@AdamMKaufman
Danny Ainge on #Celtics relationship with Kyrie Irving: "I think it's more like an engagement and we're gonna get married on July 1 ... We're still engaged, but really can't make those vows, sign that contract til July 1 ... We have to wait, we still have a date." @Toucherandrich

@AdamMKaufman
Listening to Danny Ainge on @985TheSportsHub, he does seem to remain confident the #Celtics will re-sign Kyrie Irving. He said they've had multiple conversations since Irving's comments about talking to him July 1 about his future.

He also went on to talk about a player that was possibly going to be dealt yesterday but that the trade never came together. I'm guessing Rozier?

@ChrisForsberg_
Danny Ainge on @Toucherandrich said he sought out one player after his agent seemed to get word about the team exploring possible deals.

Guess here it was Terry Rozier given impending RFA status but Ainge said player appreciated the honesty and it was a good talk.

Re: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing Kyrie Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I was listening to Ainge talk on my way in to work this a.m., glad Kaufman was able to transcribe it. It definitely made me laugh and put me at ease with things.

@AdamMKaufman
Danny Ainge on #Celtics relationship with Kyrie Irving: "I think it's more like an engagement and we're gonna get married on July 1 ... We're still engaged, but really can't make those vows, sign that contract til July 1 ... We have to wait, we still have a date." @Toucherandrich

@AdamMKaufman
Listening to Danny Ainge on @985TheSportsHub, he does seem to remain confident the #Celtics will re-sign Kyrie Irving. He said they've had multiple conversations since Irving's comments about talking to him July 1 about his future.

He also went on to talk about a player that was possibly going to be dealt yesterday but that the trade never came together. I'm guessing Rozier?

@ChrisForsberg_
Danny Ainge on @Toucherandrich said he sought out one player after his agent seemed to get word about the team exploring possible deals.

Guess here it was Terry Rozier given impending RFA status but Ainge said player appreciated the honesty and it was a good talk.

Tp for transcribing
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
That's a perfect way to put it - engagement versus marriage. Seems like he still believes 100% that Kyrie is re-signing, and he certainly seems more confident after the trade deadline now that he knows he has a great shot at AD this summer.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
He also touched on the buyout market which was interesting. Said that there was no glaring holes on the team and most players on the buyout market are looking for playing time. He mentioned Baynes has been banged up but that they expect him to be healthy after All-Star break. Thinks its going to be hard to get a good player to come here.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
 ::)
He also touched on the buyout market which was interesting. Said that there was no glaring holes on the team and most players on the buyout market are looking for playing time. He mentioned Baynes has been banged up but that they expect him to be healthy after All-Star break. Thinks its going to be hard to get a good player to come here.

I think we need a serviceable big man that can give AL some days off.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380

Kanter!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kanter!

I don’t think we’ll get him.

Gortat would be competent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

Kanter!

I don’t think we’ll get him.

Gortat would be competent.

Finally the lost teammate comes home.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Kanter!

Here is my pitch for Kanter whose comments this year seems like a guy that wants to win.  We are already over the tax anyway so use the tax mid level exception we still have available of 5.3 million and offer Kanter a 2 year deal with the 2nd year non guaranteed with an opt out August 1st ( probably more than most teams for the rest of the season.)

We can’t offer Kanter regular player time, but as the season winds down we will be giving Horford rest days off, and Baynes is injured now.  You will have a handful of games let’s say 5 out of the 25 left we will give you big minutes to show you can still provide around the 14 and 10 in 25 minutes you did for the Knicks.

There might also be opportunities where we go with traditional 2 bigs lineups especially in the playoffs.

You might be traded in the offseason to New Orleans as salary filler but you should get plenty of playing time there, or if you opted out can join the free agent market again. (If New Orleans keeps him he can still be a useful asset if they wish to flip him later on).

If you aren’t traded, and wish to join the free agent market you can do so on August 1st.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

Kanter!

Here is my pitch for Kanter whose comments this year seems like a guy that wants to win.  We are already over the tax anyway so use the tax mid level exception we still have available of 5.3 million and offer Kanter a 2 year deal with the 2nd year non guaranteed with an opt out August 1st ( probably more than most teams for the rest of the season.)

We can’t offer Kanter regular player time, but as the season winds down we will be giving Horford rest days off, and Baynes is injured now.  You will have a handful of games let’s say 5 out of the 25 left we will give you big minutes to show you can still provide around the 14 and 10 in 25 minutes you did for the Knicks.

There might also be opportunities where we go with traditional 2 bigs lineups especially in the playoffs.

You might be traded in the offseason to New Orleans as salary filler but you should get plenty of playing time there, or if you opted out can join the free agent market again. (If New Orleans keeps him he can still be a useful asset if they wish to flip him later on).

If you aren’t traded, and wish to join the free agent market you can do so on August 1st.

The problem with this is, if Kanter was a free agent July 1, I think he'd get a better deal than the mid-level next season.  There's going to be a ton of teams with cap space (16 teams could have cap space, 15 of which have $10+m available according to this link). He might get a 2-3 year deal from somebody, or teams like the Lakers may offer him a big 1-2 year deal (with team option) to maintain cap space for next year or use a trade chip (similar to Amir Johnson's Celtics and Philly contracts, or the current contracts of KCP, Ariza, Tyreke Evans, Redick etc.)  By Aug 1, all that cap space will have mostly been spent, I think Kanter would be foolish to tie himself down to such a low figure.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:19:03 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
That's a perfect way to put it - engagement versus marriage. Seems like he still believes 100% that Kyrie is re-signing, and he certainly seems more confident after the trade deadline now that he knows he has a great shot at AD this summer.

It is a perfect analogy. Kyrie might go somewhere else but he would be leaving the Celtics standing at the alter.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

Kanter!

The problem with this is, if Kanter was a free agent July 1, I think he'd get a better deal than the mid-level next season.  There's going to be a ton of teams with cap space (16 teams could have cap space, 15 of which have $10+m available according to this link). He might get a 2-3 year deal from somebody, or teams like the Lakers may offer him a big 1-2 year deal (with team option) to maintain cap space for next year or use a trade chip (similar to Amir Johnson's Celtics and Philly contracts, or the current contracts of KCP, Ariza, Tyreke Evans, Redick etc.)  By Aug 1, all that cap space will have mostly been spent, I think Kanter would be foolish to tie himself down to such a low figure.
Yeah that scenario for a contract works, but not for someone like Kanter who will have plenty of options at good money in the summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Kanter!

Yeah that scenario for a contract works, but not for someone like Kanter who will have plenty of options at good money in the summer.

You’re probably right and wishful thinking on my part.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
what about we get deandre jordan?

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
what about we get deandre jordan?

Cue the Kevin Durant coming to Celtics...  ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different