Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 251280 times)

Re: A 20 yr old with maturity issues-i blame the team
« Reply #375 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
What are you talking about-what did he really do but go home to pick up a few things,see a girfriend maybe.Process this a one stoplight town and he just went for a visit.
Now he's got teammates for the tournament i hope they behave themselves.

« Reply #376 on: July 03, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
ROFL ask yourself this do you want to be a millionaire? Do you think he wants to be one? Because right now it appears he doesn't care enough about anything. A 20 year old can go off to war, go to jail for the rest of their lives, be the father of multiple children! It's worrisome period.

« Reply #377 on: July 03, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
What are you talking about-what did he really do but go home to pick up a few things,see a girfriend maybe.Process this a one stoplight town and he just went for a visit.
Now he's got teammates for the tournament i hope they behave themselves.

Quit making excuses, Rollie. You could care less if he didn't have an 8 foot wingspan and great hops. 

He screwed up, the team told him to get his act together now, and let's hope he does.

Assistant coach said he was amazing in practice, unprecedented length and athleticism, blocking shots with his elbows, and fits into system well as he is unselfish. So we have a potential gem. And yes, the Celtics have to have a structure in place to help him.

« Reply #378 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is personal accountability dead?

We don’t need to be enablers for the bad decisions of others.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #379 on: July 03, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish, feed him for life.  Letting him screw up is the best way for him to learn.

« Reply #380 on: July 03, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm sure the C's will be providing him a lot of structure once he's in Boston and the season is going. But fundamentally he's still a rich young man who's going to be on the road a lot, this is on him.

« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Can the do no wrong perfect critics go take a hike.  I heard the mountains of the Hawaiian islands are quite scenic nowadays.

« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Raise your hand if you’ve never made a mistake or messed up....? If that’s you, please respond back Lord Jesus, I have knee injury that needs some healing ::)

« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One of my sons is 23 and been on his own since leaving for college. When he got his first job in his career, the company wasn't expected to babysit him and teach him how to be an adult. He was expected to be and act like an adult why performing his job.

I don't see that things should be any different for Williams simply because his career is basketball. Williams, like my son, has a career and should act accordingly. Be mature. Be early to work. Dedicate yourself to your profession. Be held accountable for you actions.

The first few days of problems in Robert Williams career lies squarely at the feet of Robert Williams. Not the Celtics.

« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
I blame his parents for not disciplining him growing up.
His parent are the ones who told him to stay another year in school because "he wasnt mature enough" for the NBA. They clearly are not the issue in trying to discipline/raise their son. This is on Williams alone

Then I agree. Williams is the problem.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
If Robert Williams was playing for Bill Belichick, he'll be gone in seconds.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2018, 02:36:34 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
I feel like this issue is increasing becoming a "get-off-my-lawn" generational issue between Boomers/Xers and Millenials.

« Reply #387 on: July 03, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I feel like this issue is increasing becoming a "get-off-my-lawn" generational issue between Boomers/Xers and Millenials.
generations and millenials don't exist

They're made up meaningless terms by some guy who was trying to sell a book: https://youtu.be/-HFwok9SlQQ

« Reply #388 on: July 03, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
One of my sons is 23 and been on his own since leaving for college. When he got his first job in his career, the company wasn't expected to babysit him and teach him how to be an adult. He was expected to be and act like an adult why performing his job.

I don't see that things should be any different for Williams simply because his career is basketball. Williams, like my son, has a career and should act accordingly. Be mature. Be early to work. Dedicate yourself to your profession. Be held accountable for you actions.

The first few days of problems in Robert Williams career lies squarely at the feet of Robert Williams. Not the Celtics.

Good analogy

But has your son had previous jobs?

This could be RW first real job.... who knows

Hopefully he learns quick

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23986580/robert-williams-says-missing-celtics-practice-fault

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/boston_celtics_rookie_robert_w_2.html

From the article:

Larranaga said, "He's been really, really good. Really focused. Picked up the points of emphasis that we had [Monday] in practice really well. Seems very coachable. Like we said, this is the beginning of the process for him and for the summer league team. Day 1 was good."

Later Larranaga added: "He's volleyball-spiking shots and catching the ball with his elbows. He can make an impact on both ends of the floor when he plays with great effort. He has that length and athleticism. I think he's a very unselfish player. That's really important in our system."

I'm optimistic that his problem isn't actually work ethic but more immaturity and general bone-headedness. That can get better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008