Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 251381 times)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Cs have their first summer league game Friday. Any word on whether Williams will play?!?

My guess is he will play but won’t start and probably won’t see minutes until 2nd quarter at the earliest. That will be his punishment.
The guys who showed up when they were supposed to, worked their tails off and picked up the plays, will be the one to get minutes.  It's not punishment for Williams, it's rewarding guys who do their job.

C's FO will bend over backwards and give this kid the benefit of the doubt (what choice do they have, really?...), but I'm not getting a good feeling right now about the situation...

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Cs have their first summer league game Friday. Any word on whether Williams will play?!?

My guess is he will play but won’t start and probably won’t see minutes until 2nd quarter at the earliest. That will be his punishment.
The guys who showed up when they were supposed to, worked their tails off and picked up the plays, will be the one to get minutes.  It's not punishment for Williams, it's rewarding guys who do their job.

C's FO will bend over backwards and give this kid the benefit of the doubt (what choice do they have, really?...), but I'm not getting a good feeling right now about the situation...

They don’t have to bend over backwards for him.  Notably they have not signed him to his rookie contract yet, and as they a) have potentially 4 1st round picks next year, and b) could field a full roster and are up against the luxury tax without him, can both afford not to sign him all year and might be better off this season for doing so.  They’ll try not to blast him in public for now and instead handle things internally, but they’re under no obligation to sign him if he continues to lack professionalism.  I don’t think anyone wants it to come to that, but if it happens, oh well.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think this will be true initially.   But this is not grade or high school.  They might do this the first game or the like.  But talent takes greater impact in the pros than attendance and hard work.  One practice is going to be handled most likely in one game.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

They don’t have to bend over backwards for him.  Notably they have not signed him to his rookie contract yet, and as they a) have potentially 4 1st round picks next year, and b) could field a full roster and are up against the luxury tax without him, can both afford not to sign him all year and might be better off this season for doing so.  They’ll try not to blast him in public for now and instead handle things internally, but they’re under no obligation to sign him if he continues to lack professionalism.  I don’t think anyone wants it to come to that, but if it happens, oh well.
I thought 1st rounders are guaranteed to be offered a contract?.. or is it just that whatever they sign is guaranteed money?  What happens if they don't offer a contract, is it like being a RFA where C's could match any other offer?

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think this will be true initially.   But this is not grade or high school.  They might do this the first game or the like.  But talent takes greater impact in the pros than attendance and hard work.  One practice is going to be handled most likely in one game.

Lol people think this is their varsity HS team. Keep your platitudes from Hoosiers guys, this is the real world of pro sports where talent rules all. Talented guys will get 1073947 chances because only so many guys have the ability to play at this level..RW3 will start the first SL gAme book it

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I thought 1st rounders are guaranteed to be offered a contract?.. or is it just that whatever they sign is guaranteed money?  What happens if they don't offer a contract, is it like being a RFA where C's could match any other offer?

When they sign it’s guaranteed money.  If the player and team can’t come to an agreement by the day of the next draft, the player re-enters the draft.  However, if the player signs with a non-NBA team during this period, the one-year wait starts again.  So Williams could re-enter the draft but would have to sit out an entire year to do so, and risk falling even lower.

The Celtics also don’t have to offer him the full 120% of slot value.  They could offer him as low as 80%.  Again, I don’t expect any of this to get to that point, but they’re not beholden to Williams if he keeps screwing up.  It would be a good decision on his part to take the next two weeks very seriously.

A 20 yr old with maturity issues-i blame the team
« Reply #367 on: July 03, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Where did the Celtics let this kid down.A small town kid in a big body.A couple of days being prodded and questioned about work ethic at every interview.
I believed from the beginning it was incumbent that the organization and his teammates  help him with his move.Everything from clothing to getting organised for his stay and trip to Vegas.Boston  will be like a foreign country and he did what a 20 year old would do -use his card get back to his friends.And make it back in time for practice.
We owe the kid organization and time to build some roots.To know how long it takes to get places ,where to eat,what to wear.This is a talent now in a big city for him.
Danny at interview only mentioned his sleeves length i noticed no watch.
The kid is going to feel out of place,lonely and not good enough.He sat there and made no excuses and it was on him or was it? I would have a sports psychologist working with him and the young guys.
He may be 6-10 but you can't hide that tall,you can't hide your ignorance or embarrassment at the simplest things.
When Yabu was in China he had a minder/friend-Jaylen had his friend from Atlanta staying with him
Give the kid the support tools-that missed flight was like a scream for help.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:26:11 PM by rollie mass »

Re: A 20 yr old with maturity issues-i blame the team
« Reply #368 on: July 03, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They're not going to hold him accountable in public. Guarantee the coaches chewed him out behind closed doors

« Reply #369 on: July 03, 2018, 01:23:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
I blame his parents for not disciplining him growing up.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #370 on: July 03, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
The team, you mean Texas A&M?  Can't see how the C's are to blame in any way only 3 days in.

« Reply #371 on: July 03, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I blame his parents for not disciplining him growing up.
His parent are the ones who told him to stay another year in school because "he wasnt mature enough" for the NBA. They clearly are not the issue in trying to discipline/raise their son. This is on Williams alone

« Reply #372 on: July 03, 2018, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
Do we really need another Robert Williams thread?

« Reply #373 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
They're not going to hold him accountable in public. Guarantee the coaches chewed him out behind closed doors

This. I believe it was taken care of. Either he's going to get hid head on straight or he's not but there is no better situation in the NBA than the Boston Celtics for him, right now, to do so.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #374 on: July 03, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
"Blame the team"....what a joke and it's the problem with the majority of the youth failing to take responsibility for their own actions. Blame others, never take accountability.

Masterpiece better grow up and quick!