Author Topic: Source: Celtics believe Kyrie remains happy in Boston, wants to stay long term  (Read 5742 times)

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Right now Kyrie is a victim of gossip, and his Cleveland past. He's made plenty of indications that he wants to be here, but because he doesn't feel the need to sign a pledge for the media, this is where we end up.

If we offer a max deal next summer, he almost certainly stays.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Right now Kyrie is a victim of gossip, and his Cleveland past. He's made plenty of indications that he wants to be here, but because he doesn't feel the need to sign a pledge for the media, this is where we end up.

If we offer a max deal next summer, he almost certainly stays.

Exactly. It also doesn't help when you have an idiot like Chris Broussard claiming Boston was allegedly never on his "trade list" or "wish list" (whatever he calls it)

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
For all he knows he may be included in a trade.  I'm 1000% certain the last thing Kyrie cares about is appeasing bloggers by publicly stating he wants to stay in Boston long term. Some people need to really get a grip lol...
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Well Kyrie, if you like it here so much, then start acting like it.

What exactly is he suppose to do to convince you he likes it here?

I don't think that tenn_'s concerns are tied to Kyrie's comments on the Simmons' podcast.  Our shared concerns have been attitude-based: his electing surgery, and my suspicion that the infection came from it; comments about his future in Boston preceding these that concerned many on this board; not attending Game 7 of the ECF in support of his young teammates.  And his past comments/actions aren't encouraging. 

Game 7 was also criticized by some in the national media, not just 'irrationally angry posters,' as commonly referred to here. Paul Pierce believed he should've been there.  I even read a comment from Ainge that Kyrie didn't attend b/c he didn't want to be seen with a swollen face/bandages.  Pretty weak, and neglectful of Ainge to give him a pass in the media, imho.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but in Game 3 of the Finals, Bell got tangled up with LeBron, threw to the ground, yet called for a foul.  The team was upset with him.  Iguodala took him aside and talked about it.  On the inbounds, Bell made a play that got the team the ball back on that possession.  The camera panned to Iggy, and he had a huge smile.  It was a good example of the importance of veteran leadership.  The Process has been another.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't think that tenn_'s concerns are tied to Kyrie's comments on the Simmons' podcast.  Our shared concerns have been attitude-based: his electing surgery, and my suspicion that the infection came from it; comments about his future in Boston preceding these that concerned many on this board; not attending Game 7 of the ECF in support of his young teammates.  And his past comments/actions aren't encouraging. 

Game 7 was also criticized by some in the national media, not just 'irrationally angry posters,' as commonly referred to here. Paul Pierce believed he should've been there.  I even read a comment from Ainge that Kyrie didn't attend b/c he didn't want to be seen with a swollen face/bandages.  Pretty weak, and neglectful of Ainge to give him a pass in the media, imho.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but in Game 3 of the Finals, Bell got tangled up with LeBron, threw to the ground, yet called for a foul.  The team was upset with him.  Iguodala took him aside and talked about it.  On the inbounds, Bell made a play that got the team the ball back on that possession.  The camera panned to Iggy, and he had a huge smile.  It was a good example of the importance of veteran leadership.  The Process has been another.
Didnt you say you thought the infection was not real and something Kyrie made up so he didn't have to play in the playoffs?

yeah. Not gonna take that opinion seriously.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Didnt you say you thought the infection was not real and something Kyrie made up so he didn't have to play in the playoffs?

After giving the situation some space and more thought, I stand by my points above.  I'm down to discuss it, but your post ignores them and ends in an insult.  Can't do much with that.

This topic hasn't been discussed from both sides.  It's unfortunate.   And I think that tenn_ has made shared some thoughtful insights recently, and I've tried to do the same.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:33:16 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

After giving the situation some space and more thought, I stand by my points above.  I'm down to discuss it, but your post ignores them and ends in an insult.  Can't do much with that.

This topic hasn't been discussed from both sides.  It's unfortunate.   And I think that tenn_ has made shared some thoughtful insights recently, and I've tried to do the same.   
Yes or no, you think he faked the infection
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I read tarheel's comments to say that Irving had the original surgery when it could have waited and as a result, the surgery that could have waited then caused the infection. If he had waited for all these surgeries until the immediate off-season, we could have been spared some of these problems. I am not claiming any medical expertise here, just bringing up the possibility.

Another question I have is: When Irving heard the report that Ainge had shopped him to San Antonio before the trade deadline, did that suddenly sour his attitude towards the Celtics and cause him to reconsider his long-term plans ?

I don't think it is at all unreasonable to expect an answer regarding his impending free-agency to be, " I definitely want to be in Boston long-term and I hope that we can agree on a contract next summer. It is also not unreasonable to expect one of your top players and the team's supposed leader (his words) to be in attendance at all games, playing or not. The more I have continued to think about that, the angrier I get.

I never have gotten a good vibe from that guy and I believe his basic nature to be self-centered.  You don't win many titles with self-centered players. Somehow, if this topic were being discussed during the 60's, 70's, or 80's, I think many more people would tend to be upset by Irving's absence. Selfishness is much more accepted in millenial America.

BTW, my opinions about Kyrie Irving do not come from some personal dislike that I am expressing through continued criticism. My concerns about him are based on SPECIFIC BEHAVIOR, whether that be words or actions.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
[quote author=tenn_smoothie link=topic=96857.msg2538371#msg2538371 date=1530521104

I don't think it is at all unreasonable to expect an answer regarding his impending free-agency to be, " I definitely want to be in Boston long-term and I hope that we can agree on a contract next summer. "
[/quote]

Do you think it makes any difference? Other than making the fans happy it is nothing binding. He could have made the usual commends athletes do ("i am happy here i would like to stay i have a great relationship with DA and i m sure we can come to an agreement  but it is too soon to talk about ) but 99,999% of the time mean nothing

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
[quote author=tenn_smoothie link=topic=96857.msg2538371#msg2538371 date=1530521104

I don't think it is at all unreasonable to expect an answer regarding his impending free-agency to be, " I definitely want to be in Boston long-term and I hope that we can agree on a contract next summer. "

The last point guard to declare his desire to be here before securing a new contract was traded. People need to stop expecting undying loyalty from players without holding the franchise to the same standard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:36:33 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Correct.....To be honest I don't pay any attention to what the players say in public... Very often is just what their PR  guy told them to say

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t think Ainge officially shopped Irving.  I think he just doing his due diligence trying to figure out what it would take to get Kawhi.  A big difference than putting Irving on the trading block.

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
How has he not been acting like it.

He is literally saying that he likes it, and displaying all signs of that being the case
I think what he means is he wants a public verbal commitment from kyrie saying he wants to be here long term

I dont see anything wrong with that

It's all part of the negotitation

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Go to JT's level of getting a Lucky tattoo or nothing!

Lol I can't! 🤣

I am wondering if he got that lasered off
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
How has he not been acting like it.

He is literally saying that he likes it, and displaying all signs of that being the case
I think what he means is he wants a public verbal commitment from kyrie saying he wants to be here long term

I dont see anything wrong with that

It's all part of the negotitation

Exactly. It makes no sense for Kyrie to make any kind of commitment beyond next season because he's then eligible to make alot more money by re-signing with the Celtics.

He's not going to say "I want to play in Boston for a billion, zillion years" just to satisfy all the bozos in the Boston sports media.