Author Topic: Source: Celtics believe Kyrie remains happy in Boston, wants to stay long term  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Right now Kyrie is a victim of gossip, and his Cleveland past. He's made plenty of indications that he wants to be here, but because he doesn't feel the need to sign a pledge for the media, this is where we end up.

If we offer a max deal next summer, he almost certainly stays.
Kyrie caused this problem by giving vague non-committal answers to various media members.  He could have ended all speculation by just coming out and saying something to the effect "I have loved my time in Boston and fully expect to be here long term."  or "While it doesn't make financial sense to sign an extension, I have no intention on leaving and expect to re-sign for a max contract next summer."  Or countless other things that would have just ended the speculation.  The fact that Irving won't say things like that, is why the speculation runs rampant.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Right now Kyrie is a victim of gossip, and his Cleveland past. He's made plenty of indications that he wants to be here, but because he doesn't feel the need to sign a pledge for the media, this is where we end up.

If we offer a max deal next summer, he almost certainly stays.
Kyrie caused this problem by giving vague non-committal answers to various media members.  He could have ended all speculation by just coming out and saying something to the effect "I have loved my time in Boston and fully expect to be here long term."  or "While it doesn't make financial sense to sign an extension, I have no intention on leaving and expect to re-sign for a max contract next summer."  Or countless other things that would have just ended the speculation.  The fact that Irving won't say things like that, is why the speculation runs rampant.

Again, why should he declare any kind of allegiance to us or any team? This is a business and things can change at the drop of a hat. We literally watched Isaiah Thomas get shipped out after being the face of our recruiting pitches two offseasons in a row and declaring his loyalty here. Danny Ainge can say things like "no player is untradeable", but we pile on a player who says "I like where I am right now, but I'll look at the longterm view when I'm a free agent"? That doesn't seem quite right.

I'll fully expect Irving to say he wants to be here longterm as soon as Ainge says he'll never be traded.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman