Would you make the trade

Yes
16 (44.4%)
No
19 (52.8%)
I love Rozier
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Poll: would you trade Rozier for the 13th pick  (Read 3467 times)

Poll: would you trade Rozier for the 13th pick
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:06:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 The Clippers have the 12th and 13th pick in this draft. They traded Chris Paul they have a big hole at point guard. Terry Rozier is an emerging starting point guard in the NBA they can pick who they want 12 and then getting NBA ready point card 13th not a bad trade for both teams hopefully the Celtics got a slider like Porter Jr.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:47:53 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Poll: would you trade Rozier for the 13th pick
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wish I knew what was happening with Smart before the draft. If I lose Smart I want to keep Rozier. Since we can't know that I lean to keeping Rozier unless we move up to 8 or better. Just not a lot of faith in guys after pick 8.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:18:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel like a move like this would be contingent on other moves. I’m a vacuum I’d be very tempted to make this move, as it would help us lock up a cost-controlled player (unlike Rozier poses to be) or could help us move up
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:29:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd push for the 12th pick and a young guy they have on the bench.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I voted no.  Kyrie is always hurt and we need a good backup.  Rozier is going to be better than anyone we pick at 13.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I feel like a move like this would be contingent on other moves. I’m a vacuum I’d be very tempted to make this move, as it would help us lock up a cost-controlled player (unlike Rozier poses to be) or could help us move up

It would definitely need to be contingent on another deal.  I do think it should be 12 instead of 13, but in either case, if we could package this Clippers pick with #27 to get up to #9 if Wendell Carter felll down, I would be on board.  Otherwise I would prefer to keep Rozier, as he will be far more useful than anyone we could pick at #12 or #13 next season, and in genera we have enough picks.

Having said that, I could probably be talked into #12 without a second deal lined up if we also got the protection on the Clippers pick we have in 2019 or 2020 knocked down from top 14 to top 10.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With Kyrie knee, Marcus FA status, we can’t give up Rozier unless it returns a great prospect. Don’t feel Carter qualifies.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I didn't vote as it would depend on who is available at that spot and DA probably would say the same thing. So the question would be, would I trade TRoz for Robert Williams? I'd say no. There could be a couple of good wings available but we are good there. If we replaced him with another guard I'd say what's the point? Money and contract status? The pick would be paid more than what TRoz makes right now. I love SGA from Kentucky but he was still a freshman and wouldn't sniff too much playing time. That said, I'm going to vote no after I post this.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
With Kyrie knee, Marcus FA status, we can’t give up Rozier unless it returns a great prospect. Don’t feel Carter qualifies.

I think Carter is a very good prospect.  Don’t think he’s a surefire All-Star, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if when we look back on this draft he had the best career out of all the bigs taken in the top 10.  I also think he’s better than any center in the draft next year, which looks terribly weak on centers.

If we want a long-term prospect to offer Al insurance, Carter would be a good bet.  (Not outright replacing Al, but being able to step in after a season and competently fill in for Al as Terry did for Kyrie this year).

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:21 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I think Carter is a very good prospect.  Don’t think he’s a surefire All-Star, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if when we look back on this draft he had the best career out of all the bigs taken in the top 10.  I also think he’s better than any center in the draft next year, which looks terribly weak on centers.

If we want a long-term prospect to offer Al insurance, Carter would be a good bet.  (Not outright replacing Al, but being able to step in after a season and competently fill in for Al as Terry did for Kyrie this year).
If Carter was available at 13, which he won't be, I would do that trade in a second, even with concerns footey brought up. We could then use the 27th pick or trade up for a PG/Combo Guard in this draft. There are lots of experienced back-court players who'd be available (DiVincenzo, Shamet, Holiday, Brunson, Milton, J. Carter.... the list goes on). In this scenario, we are replacing a backup not a starter. There's always the vet minimum route, someone like Napier, Seth Curry and the unlikely but still a possibility, Rondo).

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If Carter actually falls to a spot where we could get him with Terry plus a non-Sacto pick I would think hard about it. He seems to have good BBIQ and a well-rounded skill set. His fit with our young core has the potential to be really, really good. He doesn't have Ayton's ceiling, but who does, and his floor looks pretty high.

If the team likes him enough there are complementary moves we could make as Kyrie insurance - maybe the MLE goes to a combo guard. We would also have to find minutes for Carter. It's possible that he could take 10-15 minutes a game even in his first year - he's got an NBA body and his BBIQ seems high - but I don't think you could start the season trusting him to play in Baynes' slot. Maybe if you get Carter you hang on to Baynes and have to send out Theis - who I like, and see as a really nice player! - but it seems like a waste to bury him on the bench. Theis could bring back a future pick or picks, which will come in handy, or maybe a backup PG if we need the MLE for a Baynes replacement (Dedmon?). Ideally, Carter starts by taking Theis' minutes, a few minutes each from Baynes and Mook, and by the end of the year he's ready for more.

I have wondered about his ability to defend on the perimeter. Some observers were down on him for that reason, but I've seen more convincing arguments that he's fine as long as he drops down into a stance (his technique was inconsistent - we can fix that) and his defensive abilities were hidden because Duke played a lot of zone to cover Bagley's limitations.

Such a tough decision. It's still tempting to hang on to all the picks and wait for next year. Rolling with Terry and adding Hayward and Irving is a pretty good default. I guess we'll find out how the Cs evaluate these guys and whether they have a different evaluation from the other teams picking 5-10.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If Carter was available at 13, which he won't be, I would do that trade in a second, even with concerns footey brought up. We could then use the 27th pick or trade up for a PG/Combo Guard in this draft. There are lots of experienced back-court players who'd be available (DiVincenzo, Shamet, Holiday, Brunson, Milton, J. Carter.... the list goes on). In this scenario, we are replacing a backup not a starter. There's always the vet minimum route, someone like Napier, Seth Curry and the unlikely but still a possibility, Rondo).

Yeah - if it's Terry straight up for Carter that is hard to pass on.  I can't see him sliding to the Clippers unless there was a red flag in his team interviews/workouts.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think LA would (given they have Beverly and Teodosic), but the C's should.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't think LA would (given they have Beverly and Teodosic), but the C's should.

Patrick Beverley turns 30 in one month, missed the entire season, is an unrestricted free agent, and isn’t as good as Terry Rozier.

Milos Teodosic turns 32 next season, missed half of last season, and is also in a walk year.  He’s also probably not as good as Terry, and if he is currently, their trend lines are crossing very quickly.

There are valid reasons for the Clippers to keep their picks over trading for Rozier, but the existence of Beverley and Teodosic are not those reasons.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
as tempting as it is to move Rozier for a shiny new prospect in the draft, unless we're getting mid-lottery, I'm hesitant to move him before we know the deal with Smart.  I don't want Larkin to be the primary backup PG (and he's not even signed)