Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 347896 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is

Davis is not a top three player.
Who is then?

I'd have him over everyone not named LeBron. And if it was for a 4 year period, I might choose him over LeBron anyway

James, Curry, and Durant are unquestionably more valuable. Some other players are in the discussion as well.

Durant we could at least talk about. Curry is a hard no. Davis isn’t just a great scorer, capable of averaging 30 through the playoffs. He’s also a great defensive rebounder (top ten NBA) and one of the best defensive players in the league (1st team all-NBA) who transforms the kind of defense a team is able to play. He allowed the Pellies to take advantage of Mirotic’s shooting because he erases Mirotic’s mistakes on defense. Also, Davis was 24 last year; there’s a pretty good chance he’ll be even better this coming year.
Curry is a great shooter and a good creator on offense; but he’s average on defense. If you consider both sides of the ball, Davis has to come out on top.

Funny how Curry is a no, considering he was a the best player on the greatest team of all time and the best player on the best team in the league for the last five years. He's also not just a great scorer, he is the best shooter of all time, and it's not even close. There has never been a player in the league before like Curry.

Curry was not the best player on GSW the past two years and it’s not close. There is a reason KD won Finals MVP the past two years. He was the only player on the floor in LeBron’s class.

Curry is a great shooter, I take nothing away from him. But shooting is only one part of the game. And he’s at best an OK defender. AD can carry a team on both sides of the court in a way Curry simply cannot. Subtract Curry from GSW and they might still make the Finals. Subtract Durant and they do not, full stop.

The actually history suggests the contrary. That is, Curry has made the finals twice without Durant. Durant made the finals once without Curry and was swept, or lost in five, I believe. Not sure where you are getting “Curry cannot make the finals without Durant” storyline.

I’m not talking about the past, or what Durant would do with his old OKC team. I’m talking about next year, with the league built the way it is. Remember above when I pointed out that KD won the last two finals MVPs? I watched those series, and he earned those awards. I also remember who won finals MVP three years ago - the last time Curry went to the finals without Durant. Curry did not win that award, or the series.

Curry is a great player. It’s not a knock to say he’s a top 20 player in the NBA(!) but if you don’t play above average defense, it’s very very hard to be considered best in the league. It’s a two-way game. It is one reason, I think, he was third team all NBA this year. Not first. Not second. Third.

He has been the unquestioned best player on the best team for the past four/five years. You keep diminishing all of his greatness.

Statistically, it is very easy to make the argument that Curry is the best, most efficient offensive player of all time. Just look at his TS% numbers.

It is not a surprise why arguably the best offensive player of all time has won a substantial amount of games the past five years. It has everything to do with Curry and his style of play.

His TS% this past year was a godly 68%. If you don’t realize how valuable that is and how that translates to winning you don’t understand metrics.

AD’s TS was .612 last year - which is hardly dog meat - and he was nearly defensive player of the year! And he was sixth in the NBA in DRB%. Curry’s extra .06 in TS last year mattered, but the defensive gap between them is vast. We don’t have great metrics to capture that. We do have VORP, though, which tries.  Davis’ was higher than Curry’s last year.

And don’t overlook this - next year Davis will be 25 - still rising to his prime. Curry will be 30. Maybe when both their careers are over we’ll look back and say Curry’s star shined brighter. But we are not talking about that here - the question is if one of them will be a top-3 player in the NBA *this coming year*, or maybe the year after that (when ppl are saying we might get AD). Maybe Curry will break Father Time, but my money is on Davis continuing to improve and Curry already having reached his peak.

If Curry simply falls back toward his career average TS of .62%, it’s entirely possible Davis beats him even in TS%.

One final aside - your tone suggests that I’m all on my own in this evaluation. Clearly I’m not.

If he is so good, why has he only made the playoffs two times in his first six years in the league. By comparison, Kevin Garnett made the playoffs five out of his first six years in the league.
Why did Curry only make it twice in his first 5 years?

This is a hilariously weak argument. That you're seriously arguing for Curry over Davis at this stage is laughable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I’d love having a top 3 player in the league here, but I don’t know how realistic it is

Who is then?

I'd have him over everyone not named LeBron. And if it was for a 4 year period, I might choose him over LeBron anyway

James, Curry, and Durant are unquestionably more valuable. Some other players are in the discussion as well.

Durant we could at least talk about. Curry is a hard no. Davis isn’t just a great scorer, capable of averaging 30 through the playoffs. He’s also a great defensive rebounder (top ten NBA) and one of the best defensive players in the league (1st team all-NBA) who transforms the kind of defense a team is able to play. He allowed the Pellies to take advantage of Mirotic’s shooting because he erases Mirotic’s mistakes on defense. Also, Davis was 24 last year; there’s a pretty good chance he’ll be even better this coming year.
Curry is a great shooter and a good creator on offense; but he’s average on defense. If you consider both sides of the ball, Davis has to come out on top.

Funny how Curry is a no, considering he was a the best player on the greatest team of all time and the best player on the best team in the league for the last five years. He's also not just a great scorer, he is the best shooter of all time, and it's not even close. There has never been a player in the league before like Curry.

Curry was not the best player on GSW the past two years and it’s not close. There is a reason KD won Finals MVP the past two years. He was the only player on the floor in LeBron’s class.

Curry is a great shooter, I take nothing away from him. But shooting is only one part of the game. And he’s at best an OK defender. AD can carry a team on both sides of the court in a way Curry simply cannot. Subtract Curry from GSW and they might still make the Finals. Subtract Durant and they do not, full stop.

The actually history suggests the contrary. That is, Curry has made the finals twice without Durant. Durant made the finals once without Curry and was swept, or lost in five, I believe. Not sure where you are getting “Curry cannot make the finals without Durant” storyline.

I’m not talking about the past, or what Durant would do with his old OKC team. I’m talking about next year, with the league built the way it is. Remember above when I pointed out that KD won the last two finals MVPs? I watched those series, and he earned those awards. I also remember who won finals MVP three years ago - the last time Curry went to the finals without Durant. Curry did not win that award, or the series.

Curry is a great player. It’s not a knock to say he’s a top 20 player in the NBA(!) but if you don’t play above average defense, it’s very very hard to be considered best in the league. It’s a two-way game. It is one reason, I think, he was third team all NBA this year. Not first. Not second. Third.

He has been the unquestioned best player on the best team for the past four/five years. You keep diminishing all of his greatness.

Statistically, it is very easy to make the argument that Curry is the best, most efficient offensive player of all time. Just look at his TS% numbers.

It is not a surprise why arguably the best offensive player of all time has won a substantial amount of games the past five years. It has everything to do with Curry and his style of play.

His TS% this past year was a godly 68%. If you don’t realize how valuable that is and how that translates to winning you don’t understand metrics.

AD’s TS was .612 last year - which is hardly dog meat - and he was nearly defensive player of the year! And he was sixth in the NBA in DRB%. Curry’s extra .06 in TS last year mattered, but the defensive gap between them is vast. We don’t have great metrics to capture that. We do have VORP, though, which tries.  Davis’ was higher than Curry’s last year.

And don’t overlook this - next year Davis will be 25 - still rising to his prime. Curry will be 30. Maybe when both their careers are over we’ll look back and say Curry’s star shined brighter. But we are not talking about that here - the question is if one of them will be a top-3 player in the NBA *this coming year*, or maybe the year after that (when ppl are saying we might get AD). Maybe Curry will break Father Time, but my money is on Davis continuing to improve and Curry already having reached his peak.

If Curry simply falls back toward his career average TS of .62%, it’s entirely possible Davis beats him even in TS%.

One final aside - your tone suggests that I’m all on my own in this evaluation. Clearly I’m not.

If he is so good, why has he only made the playoffs two times in his first six years in the league. By comparison, Kevin Garnett made the playoffs five out of his first six years in the league.

I'd agree that a truly great player - a top-five or top-three player - should rarely miss the playoffs.

Davis did make the playoffs last year, carrying a club that had some highly questionable roster construction. E'twaun Moore got more than 30 minutes a game on that team(!) Jrue Holiday was probably the second best player, and they also gave heavy minutes to a player that the miserable Chicago Bulls practically threw away - Nikola Mirotic. Davis dragged them into the playoffs.

If you want to argue about what was going on in the more distant past, I don't really have a dog in that hunt. We are talking about this coming year and the year after.  If we want to do a retrospective of players' early careers, it's not going to be favorable to Steph  - who didn't make an all-star team in any of his first four years and didn't get to the playoffs until year four, where he had a pedestrian TS% of 56% over 12 games. But none of this is relevant to the question we're talking about:  who is going to be better next year and the year after that.

I still haven't heard anything about how you evaluate the gap in these players' defensive abilities. Do you acknowledge that there is a very large difference between their abilities on that side of the ball?  Do you think Curry is such a vastly better offensive player that this doesn't matter?

I absolutely agree that Davis can impact the game on the defensive end, and that does have value. I consider Curry to be a pedestrian defensive player, but I think his size for the position allows him to make up for his deficiencies at times. From my perspective, I just don't value interior defense in today's game as much as I value high efficiency scoring and elite floor spacing.

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Who is then?

This is a hilariously weak argument. That you're seriously arguing for Curry over Davis at this stage is laughable

In Curry's first six years in the league he played in 40 playoff games and was a NBA champion already. Davis has played in 13 playoff games through his first six years in the league. Are you making the argument that Davis is more of a winner than Curry? I sure hope not.

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Who is then?

In Curry's first six years in the league he played in 40 playoff games and was a NBA champion already. Davis has played in 13 playoff games through his first six years in the league. Are you making the argument that Davis is more of a winner than Curry? I sure hope not.
After all, playing playoff games is the only way to measure how good someone is. Draymond is clearly vastly superior to AD too!

I don't know how you can wilfully ignore all context, such as the management and coaching in New Orleans, which has contributed to AD not being in the playoffs. It doesn't make sense

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2018, 12:52:36 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Who is then?

After all, playing playoff games is the only way to measure how good someone is. Draymond is clearly vastly superior to AD too!

I don't know how you can wilfully ignore all context, such as the management and coaching in New Orleans, which has contributed to AD not being in the playoffs. It doesn't make sense

You are not adding much to the discussion. If you disagree, bring something to the table. Otherwise, you come across as a baiter.

« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2018, 01:25:38 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Davis was the best player in the league 2nd half of the season, which is why he was in the final 3 for mvp. Better than any of the aforementioned "better" players on the defensive end, by far. No one can match up with him, yet he can defend any big in the league. Silly to pretend otherwise.

OTOH, he won't be available anytime soon, so it's a moot point.

« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 328

Who is then?

You are not adding much to the discussion. If you disagree, bring something to the table. Otherwise, you come across as a baiter.

Huh? He is stating that your are "wilfully ignoring all context" and using Draymond Green as an example to refute your point. I believe that he added a rebuttal to your argument.

I don't think it really matters who is better. They play different positions on different teams and are completely different players. One commonality is that they won't be playing for the Celtics any time soon.

« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would rate both players as equally good. Probably 3A and 3B. They play vastly different positions and have vastly different skills, skills that are elite. Davis is a dominant inside force, a great and efficient scorer and a defensive monster. Curry is an all time elite shooter, has some of the bedt handles in the league to create his own shot and can run an offense and pass with anyone in the league.

I think both will be elite players over the next 3 years. Curry's game does not rely on great athleticism so his game should stay elite for several more years. Davis is just entering his prime.

This will be a great argument for a fee more years.

Oh, and on subject, I see no way NO trades Davis unless he says he won't resign on a supermax contract. I doubt he gives up all that money so Davis will be in NOLA for quite some time.

« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I would rate both players as equally good. Probably 3A and 3B. They play vastly different positions and have vastly different skills, skills that are elite. Davis is a dominant inside force, a great and efficient scorer and a defensive monster. Curry is an all time elite shooter, has some of the bedt handles in the league to create his own shot and can run an offense and pass with anyone in the league.

I think both will be elite players over the next 3 years. Curry's game does not rely on great athleticism so his game should stay elite for several more years. Davis is just entering his prime.

This will be a great argument for a fee more years.

Oh, and on subject, I see no way NO trades Davis unless he says he won't resign on a supermax contract. I doubt he gives up all that money so Davis will be in NOLA for quite some time.

The system is so tilted towards incentivizing players to stay with their incumbent teams it's almost impossible to pry away a prime superstar. That's why guys like KG and probably Davis waste their prime on garbage teams until they hit 30, with more money in the bank than could ever spend, and then go ring-chasing.

« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Who is then?

Huh? He is stating that your are "wilfully ignoring all context" and using Draymond Green as an example to refute your point. I believe that he added a rebuttal to your argument.

I don't think it really matters who is better. They play different positions on different teams and are completely different players. One commonality is that they won't be playing for the Celtics any time soon.

The different positions do make evaluation awfully hard. I might put it this way: if I am looking for a player who can carry a team into the playoffs and who can be the best player in the NBA Finals, my money over the next few years is on Davis by a good margin. We aren't asking what 27-year old Steph or 20-year old AD could do; it's about who they will be going forward. Barring injury, I actually think it's pretty hard to argue against that.

I also agree that AD isn't walking through that door, though, so as a Celts fan a better question might be whether KI or Steph is going to be better next year. Last year KI's shooting numbers weren't at Curry's level, but KI also got *a lot* fewer shots that were wide open or coming off a simple catch and shoot. (Per NBA.com tracking, shots on zero dribbles was Curry 40%, KI 24.5%; shots that were open or wide open was Curry 59.8%, KI 41.6%.) KI's shot-creation responsibilities were much heavier and his teammates less accomplished. His numbers might be awesome if we get what we hope for - Hayward at full strength, Tatum and Brown taking another step forward.  I'm definitely rooting for it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:54:47 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1497
So Kyrie is talking to Anthony Davis...if AD tells the pelicans that he isn’t going to resign after next year and wants to be traded, is any other team able to offer anything close to what the Celtics can with a trade centered around Jaylen Brown, soon to be restricted free agent Terry Rozier, the Memphis pick and another future first rounder? Davis is a great player, but it seems like that’s a [dang] good haul for the pelicans. It’s a Hell of a lot more than what the Celtics had to give up for Kyrie and it allows them to have two exciting players to rebuild around. If the Celtics have the best trade package, is it really just a matter of when?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2998
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799805-anthony-davis-rumors-star-eyeing-lakers-celtics-knicks-76ers-bos-favored

"New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis is already weighing his next move ahead of the summer of 2021, when he becomes a free agent.

Get More Sports' Chris Sheridan reported Monday that Davis is "eyeing" the Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers should he move on from the Pelicans and that the Celtics are leading the pack.

None of those four teams is a surprising inclusion in the Davis sweepstakes.

The Celtics and 76ers have the best long-term outlook of any two squads in the Eastern Conference. The prospect of joining Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward or Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons will be tantalizing for any marquee free agent.

The Lakers and Knicks, meanwhile, play in two of the biggest media markets and could see their fortunes turn around after years of mediocrity.

Los Angeles already has LeBron James signed through the 2020-21 season with a player option in 2021-22. New York doesn't have a comparable star just yet but hasn't been shy about its plan to pursue big names in free agency.

Yahoo Sports' Chris Haynes posited on FS1's Undisputed last week that the Knicks could be a serious contender to sign Kevin Durant if he opts out of his deal with the Golden State Warriors next summer.

Perhaps the real question is whether Davis will have much say in his next move.

Like other teams poised to lose their best players in free agency, the Pelicans may decide to trade Davis if it becomes clear he won't re-sign with them. At that point, his immediate future would be up to New Orleans.

Paul George landed with the Oklahoma City Thunder even though the Lakers were at the top of his wish list when he was engineering his exit from the Indiana Pacers in 2017.

Kawhi Leonard joined the Toronto Raptors this offseason after the San Antonio Spurs granted his trade request. The move went over so well with the two-time All-Star that Sporting News' Sean Deveney reported he "[had] no interest in playing for the Raptors" and would potentially sit out the 2018-19 season before opting out and hitting free agency.

Leonard has appeared in two preseason games for Toronto this fall.

Davis is smart to take a long-term view of his situation, but a lot can change in a few years. This time last October, the chances George would re-sign with the Thunder seemed slim, yet that's what he did."

Sheridan is no Woj or Shams, but it is interesting to see how much buzz has come up regarding AD and Boston, especially after Kyrie's commitment comments.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:14:56 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It's weird having everyone want to come to Boston. Kyrie is certainly helping that, the elite players seem to really want to play with him

« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
It's weird having everyone want to come to Boston. Kyrie is certainly helping that, the elite players seem to really want to play with him
This started well before Irving.  Everyone wanted to come here when Thomas was here.  I’m sure it has a lot to do with Stevens.

« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
This started well before Irving.  Everyone wanted to come here when Thomas was here.  I’m sure it has a lot to do with Stevens.
Yeah, but we always seemed to be second fiddle, like when Love and Durant were possibilities. I always felt at least that they weren't realistic possibilities. After the additions of Hayward & Horford, and the trade for Kyrie, we have a big 3 of very well respected All-Stars around the league, alongside one of the most admired coaches in the league, as you rightly point out.

Also think having DA, a guy known for always striving to compete, helps.