Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 347728 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I don't get why Washington is even in that trade.  Just do the trade directly with New Orleans (though as people have pointed out it would have to wait until the summer, which makes including Rozier trickier unless he signs an extension).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
David Stern just said that NO may lose Anthony Davis and called Demps a lousy GM.  I agree that Demps is lousy, but shocked Stern said it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ex-nba-commissioner-david-stern-reveals-why-he-nixed-chris-paul-trade-calls-pelicans-dell-demps-a-lousy-gm/

« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
David Stern just said that NO may lose Anthony Davis and called Demps a lousy GM.  I agree that Demps is lousy, but shocked Stern said it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ex-nba-commissioner-david-stern-reveals-why-he-nixed-chris-paul-trade-calls-pelicans-dell-demps-a-lousy-gm/

I would largely agree, but the Mirotic, Payton, and Randle deals all look like gold right now. He might have saved his job with those deals.

« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3224

I would largely agree, but the Mirotic, Payton, and Randle deals all look like gold right now. He might have saved his job with those deals.

If the Pelicans stay healthy, they will contend in the West!

« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Stern is and always has been an ****, and he absolutely vetoed a much better trade package then the one they ultimately accepted.

Here is the vetoed trade: Paul for Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic, Knicks 2012 1st (ended up 16th)

Here is the one that was accepted Paul, 2015 2nd, 350k cash for Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu, 2012 1st (LAC or MIN - ended up 10th)

Clearly the 1st trade has much better value, though maybe they don't end up in the right lottery slot to end up getting #1 (Davis).  The simple reality is, if Gordon doesn't get hurt and only plays in just 9 of the 66 games, maybe they win an extra game or two and don't end in the correct lottery slot any way.  And if Gordon had stayed healthy he would have been by far the best player out of everyone that season (obviously not Paul, just talking about the proposed traded players) and the general reason given for the veto was the trade would have kept New Orleans in mediocrity (yet they accepted a trade with a better player).   Remember that was Odom's weird Dallas season where he was awful, Martin missed a third of the season with injuries, Dragic was still on the rise, and Scola isn't exactly a win generator (and really wasn't much better than Kaman that year).

So at the end of the day, I think they pretty clearly ended up vetoing the better trade (not looking at long term salary implications which were obviously a factor), but maybe they don't end up with Davis doing the first trade (they weren't the worst team in the league when they got Davis though so they didn't even need to bottom out).

So I say again, Stern was and still an **** and he wasn't even right as he vetoed a trade that  had better long term value (Dragic alone makes that an easy call).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:35:04 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
Stern is and always has been an ****, and he absolutely vetoed a much better trade package then the one they ultimately accepted.

Here is the vetoed trade: Paul for Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic, Knicks 2012 1st (ended up 16th)

Here is the one that was accepted Paul, 2015 2nd, 350k cash for Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu, 2012 1st (LAC or MIN - ended up 10th)

Clearly the 1st trade has much better value, though maybe they don't end up in the right lottery slot to end up getting #1 (Davis).  The simple reality is, if Gordon doesn't get hurt and only plays in just 9 of the 66 games, maybe they win an extra game or two and don't end in the correct lottery slot any way.  And if Gordon had stayed healthy he would have been by far the best player out of everyone that season (obviously not Paul, just talking about the proposed traded players).   Remember that was Odom's weird Dallas season where he was awful, Martin missed a third of the season with injuries, Dragic was still on the rise, and Scola isn't exactly a win generator (and really wasn't much better than Kaman that year).

So at the end of the day, I think they pretty clearly ended up vetoing the better trade (not looking at long term salary implications which were obviously a factor), but maybe they don't end up with Davis doing the first trade (they weren't the worst team in the league when they got Davis though so they didn't even need to bottom out).

So I say again, Stern was and still an **** and he wasn't even right as he vetoed a trade that probably had better long term value (Dragic alone makes that an easy call).

I don't think the trade that never happened was better at the time.  And the only thing that would make it better in hindsight is Dragic (drafted 45th) turning out better than 3 guys selected in the top-10.

Were the overall players better, sure.  But when you trade away a superstar, and don't get one back in return, you're usually looking to rebuild.  You don't want vets on big contracts.  You want prospects, picks, and cap flexibility.

Martin was 28 with $24m left over 2 years, Scola was 31 owed $39m over 4 years, and Odom was 32 owed $17m over 2 years.  The Knicks first round pick, expected to be in the 20's (first full season w/ Carmelo/Amare and they just signed Chandler who would go on to win DPOY). The lone prospect was Dragic, who was a 25 year old 2nd rounder who had started 8 games during his 3 years in the league.

On the flip side, with the trade that did happen, you get an expiring contract in Kaman to make the deal work, 2 prospects in Gordon who was 23 and just averaged 22ppg, and Aminu who was drafted #8 one year ago, along with a first round pick from one of the worst teams in the league (Minny who won 17 games in '11 and a lockout adjusted 32 in '12).

So one deal is old vets, a playoff team's 1st round pick, a 2nd round prospect, and comes with $82m in committed salary

Vs.

2 prospects drafted in the top-10, a lottery team's 1st round pick, expiring salary filler, and only $27m in committed salary.

I think I'd prefer the trade that happened all day over the one that didn't.  Both as an armchair GM and as an armchair potential owner.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would love to get Davis and move Tatum to shooting guard. 

« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would love to get Davis and move Tatum to shooting guard.
Would also help Al a lot. Seeing him eaten alive by pretty mediocre players sucks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Clearly the 1st trade has much better value, though maybe they don't end up in the right lottery slot to end up getting #1 (Davis).  The simple reality is, if Gordon doesn't get hurt and only plays in just 9 of the 66 games, maybe they win an extra game or two and don't end in the correct lottery slot any way.  And if Gordon had stayed healthy he would have been by far the best player out of everyone that season (obviously not Paul, just talking about the proposed traded players).   Remember that was Odom's weird Dallas season where he was awful, Martin missed a third of the season with injuries, Dragic was still on the rise, and Scola isn't exactly a win generator (and really wasn't much better than Kaman that year).

So I say again, Stern was and still an **** and he wasn't even right as he vetoed a trade that probably had better long term value (Dragic alone makes that an easy call).

I don't think the trade that never happened was better at the time.  And the only thing that would make it better in hindsight is Dragic (drafted 45th) turning out better than 3 guys selected in the top-10.

Were the overall players better, sure.  But when you trade away a superstar, and don't get one back in return, you're usually looking to rebuild.  You don't want vets on big contracts.  You want prospects, picks, and cap flexibility.

Martin was 28 with $24m left over 2 years, Scola was 31 owed $39m over 4 years, and Odom was 32 owed $17m over 2 years.  The Knicks first round pick, expected to be in the 20's (first full season w/ Carmelo/Amare and they just signed Chandler who would go on to win DPOY). The lone prospect was Dragic, who was a 25 year old 2nd rounder who had started 8 games during his 3 years in the league.

On the flip side, with the trade that did happen, you get an expiring contract in Kaman to make the deal work, 2 prospects in Gordon who was 23 and just averaged 22ppg, and Aminu who was drafted #8 one year ago, along with a first round pick from one of the worst teams in the league (Minny who won 17 games in '11 and a lockout adjusted 32 in '12).

So one deal is old vets, a playoff team's 1st round pick, a 2nd round prospect, and comes with $82m in committed salary

Vs.

2 prospects drafted in the top-10, a lottery team's 1st round pick, expiring salary filler, and only $27m in committed salary.

I think I'd prefer the trade that happened all day over the one that didn't.  Both as an armchair GM and as an armchair potential owner.
fair points though Odom after being acquired by Dallas was traded for cash and the rights to a 2nd rounder the next summer (along with a 9 million trade exception). Scola was waived by Houston but claimed off waivers by the Suns who had him for a year and then traded him for Miles Plumlee, Gerald Green, and a 1st round pick.  So just because players have money left that isn't always a bad thing.

« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
Weird timing since the Pelicans are 3-0, Mirotic fits next to AD like a glove, Randle is the perfect 3rd big, Moore is the perfect shooting guard to go with them and Jrue Holiday hasn't even been hitting shots yet and when he does, he's an all star caliber player.

That team is a competent SF away from contending.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It seems like every other week one of these threads pop up. As I'm sure has been mentioned we cannot trade for him, at least not this year. I'm glad I didn't read this whole thread. I would have yelled at someone for bringing up how injury prone he is when in reality he isn't ;)
I'll revisit one of these threads when the regular season is over or unless something really strange happens.

« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Weird timing since the Pelicans are 3-0, Mirotic fits next to AD like a glove, Randle is the perfect 3rd big, Moore is the perfect shooting guard to go with them and Jrue Holiday hasn't even been hitting shots yet and when he does, he's an all star caliber player.

That team is a competent SF away from contending.
Would’ve really liked to see a guy like Ariza go there. Unless it convinced AD to not want to come to Boston
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2018, 02:36:34 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
It seems like every other week one of these threads pop up. As I'm sure has been mentioned we cannot trade for him, at least not this year. I'm glad I didn't read this whole thread. I would have yelled at someone for bringing up how injury prone he is when in reality he isn't ;)
I'll revisit one of these threads when the regular season is over or unless something really strange happens.

I mean, we can trade for him this season, it’s just very unlikely.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The only way to trade for AD this year is if Kyrie is included in the trade or Kyrie is traded off the team before the AD trade goes down. That's it. Those are the only ways possible to trade for Davis. Due to the Rose Rule we cannot have both Kyrie and Davis on this team this year. After Kyrie re-signs next year, then we could trade for Davis.

« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2018, 06:25:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The only way to trade for AD this year is if Kyrie is included in the trade or Kyrie is traded off the team before the AD trade goes down. That's it. Those are the only ways possible to trade for Davis. Due to the Rose Rule we cannot have both Kyrie and Davis on this team this year. After Kyrie re-signs next year, then we could trade for Davis.
Sure, which means we CAN trade for him.