Author Topic: Bye bye one-and-done? Oh please get it done by 2019  (Read 3389 times)

Bye bye one-and-done? Oh please get it done by 2019
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22615784/nba-making-plans-get-involved-high-school-level-once-again-espn

With up to 4 picks in the 2019 draft, if this were put in place by then it would be HUGE for the C's.

Re: Bye bye one-and-done? Oh please get it done by 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They should just open G-league up to under 19 players. Who can place names in draft of g-league. Then enter draft of NBA year after

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
They should just open G-league up to under 19 players. Who can place names in draft of g-league. Then enter draft of NBA year after

The G-League is already open to under 19 y/o players (18 is the minimum age)

I certainly like the idea of the G-League over the NCAA, but would rather the draft be expanded to 3 or 4 rounds and then teams would have control of their players. This would also likely expand fan attendance for G-League games since there would be more higher level players who would be with an organization for several years.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Nobody is going to forego the exposure and prestige of playing for Duke or Xavier to make 40k in Fort Wayne

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:13:43 PM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
It will kill the college game if the best opt out.  I will not watch any NCAA games again if all the NBA prospects are in some academy. The ideas in this article all stink.  The NBA scouts often do not know who the stars will be in the draft let alone when they are 15 or 16. Let the NCAA repair its own ship.  I think the prospects should have to play at least two years in the NCAA.  Most of these kids are not ready for a mans league until at least 21 with few exceptions. These kids all get academic scholarships which can be worth 60 grand a year at many of the private institutions. Nothing to sneeze at.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

I certainly like the idea of the G-League over the NCAA, but would rather the draft be expanded to 3 or 4 rounds and then teams would have control of their players. This would also likely expand fan attendance for G-League games since there would be more higher level players who would be with an organization for several years.

Agreed.  There would never be a G-League draft.  NBA teams would retain the rights.  This bodes very well for Boston if it's implemented for 2019.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It will kill the college game if the best opt out.  I will not watch any NCAA games again if all the NBA prospects are in some academy. The ideas in this article all stink.  The NBA scouts often do not know who the stars will be in the draft let alone when they are 15 or 16. Let the NCAA repair its own ship.  I think the prospects should have to play at least two years in the NCAA.  Most of these kids are not ready for a mans league until at least 21 with few exceptions. These kids all get academic scholarships which can be worth 60 grand a year at many of the private institutions. Nothing to sneeze at.

Is killing the college game such a bad thing? They exploit college players to make huge amounts of money , all the while knowing that the players bringing in the money will never finish their education there, and are never compensated in any way that can be remotely considered fair for the money they generate. What good is a scholarship if you only stay 1 year and never earn your degree? Its a joke.

Killing that system and allowing players to get paid themselves for their talent and hard work instead of having a wealthy university take their profit, is not a bad thing imo.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I don't think it will.  Many times the best players teams are not represented in the NCAA tournament - or don't make deep runs, and the games are still competitive and fun.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It should be HS graduate age min.

I like the idea of separate drafts. I don't like teams owning rights to a player too early or for too long. G-league should be focused on developing guys not filling seats.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:25 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I strongly disagree, these kids should be allowed to make a living whenever someone is willing to pay them. Some guys aren't ready to play until they are 21 and they can stay in college no one is making them leave, but why would you make Lebron play two years of college? Also why does the NBA care if the corrupt NCAA has talent or not?

Also you get guys like Simmons in college who don't really put in any effort because he doesn't care it's a one year waiting period to get to the NBA for those guys. these guys should be free to make money like any other adult is.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:45 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think it was Jaylen Rose in one of the 30 for 30 episodes saying that he didn't have enough to buy pizza and he passed infront of a store selling a jersy with his name for 100$. This is extremely unfair and i fail to understand why it hasn't changed!

But i am not sure the gleague as it is workign now is the way to go. I don't follow this league at all so maybe i am wrong but don't see much development happening there. It is more of a reserve team league rather than development league.How many players did actually improve and how many gleaguers got an decent nba contract ?

Imho the best solution is to remove the min age rule and fix NCAA. 

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
informative thread with great posts.  TP.

Meanwhile, if James Wiseman is picked at number 1, it's nice to imagine our future 2 3 and 4 as
Brown, Barrett, Tatum.  Brown and Tatum are sneaky scorers and great team players.  Barrett would add another alpha scorer imo. To get Barrett though the Sac pick would have to be number 2 (he could still go #1 too).  If not pick #2 then Zion or Reddish would be nice consolation prizes, or the best big man after Wiseman.  I'd pray for Barrett though.  What a deal Danny did with Philly. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:01:19 PM by wiley »

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd love it if one-and-done goes away. I've long thought that young men need at least two year of college before they head out to the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I'd love it if one-and-done goes away. I've long thought that young men need at least two year of college before they head out to the NBA.
Seems like a no brainer.  Give the player a choice.  Skip college entirely and go to the G-League if you are not ready, or go to college and commit to at least 2 years (with no freaking complaining).

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22615784/nba-making-plans-get-involved-high-school-level-once-again-espn

With up to 4 picks in the 2019 draft, if this were put in place by then it would be HUGE for the C's.
If I was Danny and got 4 picks in the first round of the 2019 draft, I would trade every one for a superstar.