Author Topic: Bruins trade for Rick Nash  (Read 22202 times)

Bruins trade for Rick Nash
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The New York Rangers have traded six-time All-Star forward Rick Nash to the Boston Bruins, the Rangers announced Sunday.

The Rangers will receive forwards Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey, prospect defenseman Ryan Lindgren, the Bruins' 2018 first-round draft pick and a 2019 seventh-round pick.

I love that they’re going for it.  He’s on the downside of his career, but he’ll help.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Bruins trade for Rick Nash
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:52:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This could be a really fun spring ahead with the Bruins & Celtics.

B’s are definitely going for it, huh?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That is a honest move to go for it. Not sure it's enough though.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty big overpay?

5 assets including 1st rounder, Spooner and another solid prospect for a pure rental?

I mean yeah, it's nice to get rid of 50% Beleskey's salary, and maybe Nash does help in the playoffs, but it still seems risky.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty big overpay?

5 assets including 1st rounder, Spooner and another solid prospect for a pure rental?

I mean yeah, it's nice to get rid of 50% Beleskey's salary, and maybe Nash does help in the playoffs, but it still seems risky.

Spooner was a FA and they get out of at least part of Belesky’s awful contract. A bit of an overpay but in the scheme of things I don’t think it’s that bad.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's an awful lot to give up (quantity if not quality) for someone who's going to hit free agency end of season and is already 33 anyway.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't know much about hockey. It seems he'll be one of the oldest on the team. Would it be likely for him to resign at reasonable money if the team does well?

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
33 isn't terribly old for hockey

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is a great go for it all trade. The Bruins have all their draft picks for the next few years, they are extremely young, they have the best playing line and best playing goalie in the league, and could be looking at home ice advantage throughout the playoffs by having a great ending stretch. Love this trade.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruins also signed Brian Gionta for $700,000.

I like that move. Very low risk with potentially high reward. Good veteran presence too, and I think that does matter more than people think (not saying it guarantees a championship, but I think we saw last year how much the B's missed that in some instances)

Although it's unlike with Nash who we had to trade five assets away for, and I'm really not sure he's that kind of "difference maker" that warrants that kind of trade. Is he a solid player? Absolutely. But still...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:29:05 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I like that move. Very low risk with potentially high reward. Good veteran presence too, and I think that does matter more than people think (not saying it guarantees a championship, but I think we saw last year how much the C's missed that in some instances)

Although it's unlike with Nash who we had to trade five assets away for, and I'm really not sure he's that kind of "difference maker" that warrants that kind of trade. Is he a solid player? Absolutely. But still...

You’ve got to look at the “assets”, though:

* An inferior wing who is a restricted free agent
* A mediocre prospect defenseman
* A wing with negative trade value
* A late 1st rounder
* A 7th rounder

Spooner is the only asset that is likely to add anything to a team, and Nash is an upgrade.

This is the Bruins’ equivalent of “Yabu + #1 for Tyreke”. I’d still do that deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
33 isn't terribly old for hockey
Well if you're Jaromir Jagr it's, like, the start of your prime?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I like that move. Very low risk with potentially high reward. Good veteran presence too, and I think that does matter more than people think (not saying it guarantees a championship, but I think we saw last year how much the C's missed that in some instances)

* A late 1st rounder
* A 7th rounder

Spooner is the only asset that is likely to add anything to a team, and Nash is an upgrade.

This is the Bruins’ equivalent of “Yabu + #1 for Tyreke”. I’d still do that deal.

A late 1st Rd pick in the NHL is still a very valuable asset. Sure, it's not as valuable as a higher pick, but the difference in value between the beginning and end of the 1st round in the NHL is far different than what that difference would be in the NBA.

That said, I still like this deal for the Bruins. Nash is a proven veteran (but not too old) that could very well give the B's that extra push they need to win the Cup this year.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

* A late 1st rounder
* A 7th rounder

A late 1st Rd pick in the NHL is still a very valuable asset. Sure, it's not as valuable as a higher pick, but the difference in value between the beginning and end of the 1st round in the NHL is far different than what that difference would be in the NBA.

That said, I still like this deal for the Bruins. Nash is a proven veteran (but not too old) that could very well give the B's that extra push they need to win the Cup this year.

Those picks still aren’t worth very much:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

A late first rounder apparently isn’t worth all much more than a 3rd rounder.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

* A late 1st rounder
* A 7th rounder

Those picks still aren’t worth very much:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

A late first rounder apparently isn’t worth all much more than a 3rd rounder.

I think that study isn't worth a whole lot when they immediately throw out two of the most important positions in the game as part of the study.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:01:58 PM by KGs Knee »