Author Topic: IT's next Team and Contract  (Read 15778 times)

Re: IT's next Team and Contract
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Good. Orlando is a terrific fit for him. He might even push them into the playoffs, the way the East is. Remember how hot Orlando started last season?

If IT can get close to his old form and they get any development out of Jonathan Isaac, I think they've got enough veterans to win 42 games in this conference.

42? Orlando? Whoa there.

Sure. With Steve Clifford coming on board, if those two things happen I can definitely see them winning 42 games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My only concern for Orlando is that IT soaks up all the profit from Disney World.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
My only concern for Orlando is that IT soaks up all the profit from Disney World.

Snow White looking for a new "little guy"?
Yup

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Snow White looking for a new "little guy"?

Lol.  Speedy, the 8th dwarf.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Orlando.
1 year, $5M.

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Report-Orlando-Magic-negotiating-a-contract-with-Isaiah-Thomas--119569266/

Looks like the Magic. I think he's an awesome fit for them. He can run the show and pump his stats and help the youngsters grow. Will he get more than $5M? Probably!

Don't think it's official yet. I think Isaiah will get a 2 year deal (2nd year option of sorts), and it will be for around 8-10M/Year. I'd be happy for him  ;D

That much? That feels like an overpay at this point. I think $5mil or less.

Kind of optimistic, yes. Honestly feel bad he'd have to just settle for 5M when almost a year ago there were arguments on whether he was a "max-player". The injury (and trade) definitely put a damper on things for him. He may have annoyed us with the Brinks Truck talk, but he truly did bleed green in his time here, and so I hope he gets a nice deal at Orlando (or somewhere else).

I actually think Isaiah (if healthy) could really increase his value with a great season, and it's a good fit in Orlando IMHO.
If Orlando gives him 8-10M, they're bidding against themselves.  Where else can IT go where he'd be able to start?  Giving him a player option would be a big mistake.  The only reason he'd use it is if he played poorly or got injured again.  If I'm Orlando, I make half of what he gets contingent on him playing 40+ games.

In this kind of scenario the two working models are either:

Low salary + a player option.  The team is protected by the low salary.  Player is protected against a bad year (or slow recovery from the injury), gets a second year chance to prove it.  If the player comes back strong he is protected by being able to re-enter the FA pool and the team probably doesn't mind that they got a great year for dirt cheap.

Higher salary + team option.  The player is protected by the higher salary.  The team is protected from long term commitment should the player struggle or get re-injured.  And if he comes back strong the team is rewarded with a second year of control.

So I would guess likely contract options for Thomas might be either a 4-5M deal with a player option or a ~8M deal with a team option.

Note that the total dollars (and how much is guaranteed) tend to matter more to the player while the control of their cap space and tax liabilities tend to matter more to the teams.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Orlando.
1 year, $5M.

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Report-Orlando-Magic-negotiating-a-contract-with-Isaiah-Thomas--119569266/

Looks like the Magic. I think he's an awesome fit for them. He can run the show and pump his stats and help the youngsters grow. Will he get more than $5M? Probably!

Don't think it's official yet. I think Isaiah will get a 2 year deal (2nd year option of sorts), and it will be for around 8-10M/Year. I'd be happy for him  ;D

Kind of optimistic, yes. Honestly feel bad he'd have to just settle for 5M when almost a year ago there were arguments on whether he was a "max-player". The injury (and trade) definitely put a damper on things for him. He may have annoyed us with the Brinks Truck talk, but he truly did bleed green in his time here, and so I hope he gets a nice deal at Orlando (or somewhere else).

I actually think Isaiah (if healthy) could really increase his value with a great season, and it's a good fit in Orlando IMHO.
If Orlando gives him 8-10M, they're bidding against themselves.  Where else can IT go where he'd be able to start?  Giving him a player option would be a big mistake.  The only reason he'd use it is if he played poorly or got injured again.  If I'm Orlando, I make half of what he gets contingent on him playing 40+ games.

In this kind of scenario the two working models are either:

Low salary + a player option.  The team is protected by the low salary.  Player is protected against a bad year (or slow recovery from the injury), gets a second year chance to prove it.  If the player comes back strong he is protected by being able to re-enter the FA pool and the team probably doesn't mind that they got a great year for dirt cheap.

Higher salary + team option.  The player is protected by the higher salary.  The team is protected from long term commitment should the player struggle or get re-injured.  And if he comes back strong the team is rewarded with a second year of control.

So I would guess likely contract options for Thomas might be either a 4-5M deal with a player option or a ~8M deal with a team option.

Note that the total dollars (and how much is guaranteed) tend to matter more to the player while the control of their cap space and tax liabilities tend to matter more to the teams.

Really well put.  Kudos.

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Orlando.
1 year, $5M.

They’re not entirely bidding against themselves.  The Magic don’t look to have tons of cap room next year as is, relative to most teams.  It’s not entirely impossible that they have no cap room at all if they keep Terrance Ross or Nikola Vucevic around.  Giving IT the full MLE this year enables them to re-sign him next year at a salary beginning at $10.3 million using non-Bird rights.  It’s not impossible IT has a limited market next summer again — sure, tons of teams have cap room, but there will be a massive amount of free agents, and teams could still be scared off from his health.  Giving him a 1-year deal this year at $8.6 million is a relatively small price increase compared to the $5-6 million he might get from someone else if it gives you the opportunity to make a competitive offer to IT next summer, should things work out well enough this year.

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I agree Orlando is perfect for IT.  With Bamba, Isaac and Gordon backing him up he won't have to play any defense!

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Orlando.
1 year, $5M.

They’re not entirely bidding against themselves.  The Magic don’t look to have tons of cap room next year as is, relative to most teams.  It’s not entirely impossible that they have no cap room at all if they keep Terrance Ross or Nikola Vucevic around.  Giving IT the full MLE this year enables them to re-sign him next year at a salary beginning at $10.3 million using non-Bird rights.  It’s not impossible IT has a limited market next summer again — sure, tons of teams have cap room, but there will be a massive amount of free agents, and teams could still be scared off from his health.  Giving him a 1-year deal this year at $8.6 million is a relatively small price increase compared to the $5-6 million he might get from someone else if it gives you the opportunity to make a competitive offer to IT next summer, should things work out well enough this year.

This was the same philosophy that could have helped the Celtics re-sign Greg Monroe this summer, if he had turned out to be the player many had wanted.  Obviously Monroe was signed with the injury exception but the same principle of signing him to a specific amount which would help in re-signing him the next year was something bandied about on this board (and possibly the C's front office).

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Who woulda imagined a year ago that Kelly Olynyk would be likely earning more money from 2017-2021 than IT?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Looks like Orlando has cooled on him now. It's a shame because I can't think of another team where he'd make sense, especially if he's still refusing a bench role.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
This question is about Isaiah Thomas. Almost every conversation I had yesterday with teams, agents, fellow media and fans came around to this. Everyone is curious and no one knows. Several people only half-jokingly suggested the Warriors for the minimum for 1 year.

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1015962954498359296?s=21

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
If his market is truly down, bring him back here on a 1 year, prove it deal (at minimum)!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If his market is truly down, bring him back here on a 1 year, prove it deal (at minimum)!  ;D

im game

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
IT may want to consider playing in China.  He'd be a hit over there.  Then he can see what opportunities open up later in the season.