Author Topic: Woj: Clarkson and Nance to Cavs for IT, Frye, Cavs 1st  (Read 5188 times)

Re: Woj: Clarkson and Nance to Cavs
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 965
It looks like IT will get to run team as number 1 option again, too bad it is for the Lakers. Happy he got away from Lebron though. I think this hurts our lakers pick chances as iT will have twice the chip now on his shoulder.

Can't wait for the first flare up between IT and Lonzo's dad. Should be epic.

Who will be the second scoring option for the Cavs in the playoffs now? Lebron is going to need to go into superman mode every game and put up epic numbers.

It is Lebron's world still in Cleveland until the bitter end. I can only imagine what was said in that meeting between him and executives.

Re: Woj: Clarkson and Nance to Cavs for IT, Frye, Cavs 1st
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Good. LAL needed a PG to move Ball over to SG. IT and Ball will be a good pairing offensively.

They should help make LAL good to watch for first time in about 6-7 years.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Clarkson's offense has always been overrated.  But this is a good long-term move for the Cavs.

Great outcome for IT.  Exits a toxic environment, gains space to get his legs and timing back.  Potential suitor for his next contract.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So, uh, crazy thought: if IT gets bought out we could legitimately sign him couldn’t we? Lol

I mean, he’s probably still salty and wouldn’t come here, let alone us sign him. But we certainly could use his scoring off the bench, and that’d be the perfect “F you” to Lebron and Cleveland from IT lol

I’ve had this thought too, but I highly doubt he gets bought out.  The Lakers should keep his Bird rights.  His cap hold isn’t huge next season, and if he continues to get well and fits on the team he could be worth signing to a good, but non-max contract, giving the Lakers extra space to pursue a max guy.  Or they sign him a to a very large deal for one year with the second year non-guaranteed, so they can trade him for someone already on a max deal if the opportunity presents itself, or keep him for year two if the King of the Fourth is still down there somewhere and emerges next year.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Dumb trade for Cleveland.

Clarkson cannot play off the ball if his life depended on it. He will be a terrible fit with LeBron (and Wade and Rose). IT was a much better player off the ball. They should have given the IT/Bron partnership more time to come to fruition.

Nance is a good hustle player off the bench for them.

Bad return for Cleveland. No chance in the postseason now.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
Here is my dumb question, is Clarkson right now the starting point guard for the Cavs?  If so it might not be completely bad for the Cavs.  Clarkson has played well lately is a lot bigger and stronger / better defender than IT.  I don't think Nance plays much in the playoffs once Love comes back but Clarkson might help.

There is the other rumor that the cavs are still trying to trade for Kemba Walker as well...

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:06 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 947
Does this deal make the Lakers better or worse for the rest of this season?  And if worse bad enough to get their first round pick here?

Not bad enough to get the pick (or, let's say, finish in the bottom 5). Lakers are four games out of the fifth spot with 29 to play. In and of itself, that would require a big statistical move for them to drop. Even worse, the Knicks are only a game behind the Lakers, and they just got a tad bit worse with the loss of KP.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Clarkson cannot play off the ball if his life depended on it. He will be a terrible fit with LeBron (and Wade and Rose). IT was a much better player off the ball. They should have given the IT/Bron partnership more time to come to fruition.

How do you feel about Clarkson for IT defensively? Obviously Clarkson's better but do you think it gives them enough to offset any offensive problems?

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So, the official haul for Kyrie now is:

Kyrie and Frye

for

Clarkson, Crowder, Nance, and a pick swap

Ouch.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
Good. LAL needed a PG to move Ball over to SG. IT and Ball will be a good pairing offensively.

They should help make LAL good to watch for first time in about 6-7 years.

I don't see the lakers moving ball to SG, man he is shooting 35% fg / 30% 3 point fg.  He is a terrible fit to play off the ball.  His best talent is his passing, why on earth would you not have him handling the ball?

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
[dang] that sucks for IT being constantly move around, even more so he's going to the Lakers

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lakers and cavs both got worse

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Video of Windhorst on ESPN that I couldn't listen to but the headline says this trade opens the path for the lakers to sign two max free agents this summer (ie George and Lebron).  Did they really shed enough salary for this (I don't really get all the cap stuff) or is this just ESPN desperate for the lakers to be relevant again?

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Does this deal make the Lakers better or worse for the rest of this season?  And if worse bad enough to get their first round pick here?

Theoretically worse. I've watched a lot of Lakers games this season due to the pick, and Clarkson has basically been one of their best players all season long.

In return, they get IT. I saw a graphic on one of the shows that IT is shooting worse than Lonzo Ball and is dead last in defense in the NBA. I think that he is literally the worst player in the NBA right now.

Now, if they are able to mirror what the Celtics did with IT, and he's back to 100%, he can basically carry an entire offense. They have their version of Smart in KCP to cover his
 weaknesses. I don't see it happening, but that's why I said theoretically.
I don't think Luke Walton can hold a candle to Brad Stevens in terms of how to utilize players to their strength.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

How do you feel about Clarkson for IT defensively? Obviously Clarkson's better but do you think it gives them enough to offset any offensive problems?

No. They will lose more offensively than they gain defensively.

Clarkson is a dodgy defender himself. IT is terrible. It's an improvement but it's not sorting out any problems for Cleveland. The offense on the other hand creates new problems for them. Guys who cannot function / play together.