Author Topic: I’m a Smart hater  (Read 25047 times)

Re: I’m a Smart hater
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
All that Marcus Smart needs to improve significantly overnight is a Head Coach with enough balls to tell him to stop shooting so much !!! It's not that complicated.

LoL. I don't have a problem with him taking good shots, he seems to do "ok" with those but WAY to many bad shots. The other problem is he can't figure out when he's 1 for 9 to stop shooting, shooters shoot, bad shooters don't!

I know people love his defense but I see him make a LOT of bad fouls. Aggressive defense is great, hacking people or running into jump shooters is not.

Basically I've come to this conclusion. People that love Smart like college basketball games that are 55-58. I watch the pros cause I want to see high level talent see people do things I can't. Watching Smart is like watching a bad high school game!

I feel very confident that Smart does a dozen things every night that you could not do in an NBA game.

Well I'm 45 5'9" 160 lbs. so he's got a lot of advantages over me to say the least. At the Y I was a walking triple double though.  ;D

I'm a better shooter and passer than him and I'm willing to bet I have faster hands than him and I'm smarter than he is! But yes he would kill me on the court.

But I'll bet my life I'm a better skier than he is hahaha.
You are delusional
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
All that Marcus Smart needs to improve significantly overnight is a Head Coach with enough balls to tell him to stop shooting so much !!! It's not that complicated.

LoL. I don't have a problem with him taking good shots, he seems to do "ok" with those but WAY to many bad shots. The other problem is he can't figure out when he's 1 for 9 to stop shooting, shooters shoot, bad shooters don't!

I know people love his defense but I see him make a LOT of bad fouls. Aggressive defense is great, hacking people or running into jump shooters is not.

Basically I've come to this conclusion. People that love Smart like college basketball games that are 55-58. I watch the pros cause I want to see high level talent see people do things I can't. Watching Smart is like watching a bad high school game!

I feel very confident that Smart does a dozen things every night that you could not do in an NBA game.

Well I'm 45 5'9" 160 lbs. so he's got a lot of advantages over me to say the least. At the Y I was a walking triple double though.  ;D

I'm a better shooter and passer than him and I'm willing to bet I have faster hands than him and I'm smarter than he is! But yes he would kill me on the court.

You are delusional

Thanks. What parts, the skier part?

« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
I'm a Smart hater and still am!

I think you guys are giving him way to much credit for those last 2 calls and instead should be giving it to the ref who finally had the courage to make the right calls against a guy that pushes off on every play!

I'll keep saying it Smart is a decent role player when he plays within his abilities. Unfortunately WAY to often he tries to play above his abilities which always hurts the team.

Traded at the trade deadline if anyone will pony up something of value for him.

Nonsense.  They teach all basketball players at the lowest levels on the need to sell offensive fouls.  How many charges are called when a defender stays standing?  Zero.

That is all defensive positioning, instinct, and his ability to foul/annoy people to the point that they elbow him to the ground.

No it's not. Watch next game Smart aka Stupid will foul a 3 point shooter at the end of the game and we will lose because of it. If you go back and watch all the games this year I bet you will easily see for every great play Stupid makes he makes a horrible one. Even worse what I have noticed is he compounds his Stupid plays. Meaning he will come down on the offensive end make a horrible turnover, realizing he screwed up he will race down and foul a jump shooter. Turning 30 seconds into a 4 point swing for the other team. He does this constantly, constantly!!!!
Calling Celtics such derogatory names is clear baiting. Do not continue this.

You guys are way to PC on this site it drives me crazy and it has destroyed most blogs. If you want this blog to fail keep up the PC crap I can assure you all you will have is a bunch of care bears on here. By bunch I mean 10 and there will be nobody else. I've been a member for many years and it's extremely disappointing to see you guys trend this way over the years!

Name-calling has been called out by moderators since the start and I think it's good thing.  The problem with calling out people for being too "PC" is that unnoticed are the hundreds of posts that transpire in between the moderators enforcing moderation. I think more than 10 of us would still be here even if there were never use of derogatory names.  Getting through a discussion, even a heated one, without name-calling is something I think most of do all the time.

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I see many ppl comment as if Smart taking shots was a personal decision by him - don't you think he must have Stevens approval?

« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I think you guys are giving him way to much credit for those last 2 calls and instead should be giving it to the ref who finally had the courage to make the right calls against a guy that pushes off on every play!

I'll keep saying it Smart is a decent role player when he plays within his abilities. Unfortunately WAY to often he tries to play above his abilities which always hurts the team.

Nonsense.  They teach all basketball players at the lowest levels on the need to sell offensive fouls.  How many charges are called when a defender stays standing?  Zero.

That is all defensive positioning, instinct, and his ability to foul/annoy people to the point that they elbow him to the ground.

No it's not. Watch next game Smart aka Stupid will foul a 3 point shooter at the end of the game and we will lose because of it. If you go back and watch all the games this year I bet you will easily see for every great play Stupid makes he makes a horrible one. Even worse what I have noticed is he compounds his Stupid plays. Meaning he will come down on the offensive end make a horrible turnover, realizing he screwed up he will race down and foul a jump shooter. Turning 30 seconds into a 4 point swing for the other team. He does this constantly, constantly!!!!

You guys are way to PC on this site it drives me crazy and it has destroyed most blogs. If you want this blog to fail keep up the PC crap I can assure you all you will have is a bunch of care bears on here. By bunch I mean 10 and there will be nobody else. I've been a member for many years and it's extremely disappointing to see you guys trend this way over the years!

Name-calling has been called out by moderators since the start and I think it's good thing.  The problem with calling out people for being too "PC" is that unnoticed are the hundreds of posts that transpire in between the moderators enforcing moderation. I think more than 10 of us would still be here even if there were never use of derogatory names.  Getting through a discussion, even a heated one, without name-calling is something I think most of do all the time.

Making fun of a player or famous person is a lot different than a fellow poster. You guys are better than me I guess cause I rarely make it through those moments without degrading someone. I'm a big believer in using that strategy, one of the very few things I like about Trump.

« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Not a bad half for Smart only downside was the insistence of jacking up 3 pointers, what's he 0-4? I liked the first shot he took, needs to keep the ball moving.

« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751

lol. The image of Marcus Smart skiing is now in my head and it is hilarious. Thanks.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

Making fun of a player or famous person is a lot different than a fellow poster. You guys are better than me I guess cause I rarely make it through those moments without degrading someone. I'm a big believer in using that strategy, one of the very few things I like about Trump.

That is a funny admission:  "big believer" in degrading others as an argument strategy.  It's interesting, Trump's degrading verbiage is probably something that both sustains his base AND keeps his disapproval numbers where they are.   That said, I've yet to hear (till now) someone liking his nasty rhetoric but disliking him generally.  A new voting block!

Anyway, I appreciate your honesty about this and hope you have a Happy New Year. 

« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think Smart-haters need to rightfully acknowledge that Smart does some incredible things on the court that seemingly no one else on the team is willing or able to do.  If he's not going to play, we will be giving up those plays, etc.
I think the Smart-lovers need to not simply assume that one great play at the end of the game makes up for 4-5 bad plays leading up to that point.  I've watched too many game threads where Smart is playing horrible all game (bad shot selection, missed easy shots, turnovers, etc) and then makes a great defensive play in the 4th and we get 20 "That's why you need Marcus Smart" posts.  Well, we should probably also consider if we would actually need that great defensive play if not for that dumpster of bad plays before.
If we could sign the Marcus Smart that makes incredible defensive plays, bothers their best scorer, makes solid assists and stays within himself on offense (mostly high percentage drives)...EVERYONE would be on board to resign that guy.  Unfortunately, most of this year it's felt like a guy who's agent has told him no one will pay big money to a defense-only guy who's a liability on offense and he's determined to not let that happen.

I just want to note that this i one of the most true posts I've seen in regards to Marcus Smart - it's something that I note all the time, and rarely do any other people ever seem to acknowledge it.  TP for your truth.

There is a reason why Marcus Smart's advanced 'win based' stats aren't anything special this year - RPM, Net Rating, VORP, Win Share, etc.   Kyrie, Horford, Brown, Tatum and even Rozier rate above him in the majority of those stats.

Nobody can deny all of the great things that Smart does on the court.  The problem is that Smart is such a blue-collar guy (and so many of his big plays are so dramatic / memorable) that people tend to remember all of the big game winning plays that he makes, but forget all about all the bad plays he makes.

I've always been bewildered by the mentality of some fans on this board. 

There tends to be certain players who can do no wrong, and can pretty much get away with murder and still cop praise 24-7.  Marcus Smart could shoot 1-10, commit 8 turnovers, get 4 offensive fouls, and people would still rave about how amazing he is because he happened to save one big loose ball with 90 seconds left in the game.

But then there are other guys who do pretty much nothing but great things 90% of the time they're on the court and get zero recognition, only to get absolutely drilled every time they make one or two small mistakes.  For example Avery Bradley could score 20 points on 10-18 shooting, play suffocating defence on his opposing guy (holding him to 3-12 shooting), hit 3 of Boston's final 4 shots to bring the back in the game after being down by 5...and all you'd hear is people whining about that one time at the 90 second mark where he took a semi-open three while another guy had a slightly better shot. 

Rozier is another guy who falls in the AB category.  The guy has put up four straight games with 13+ points on >50% shooting, has made multiple huge clutch defensive plays and clutch shots towards the end of games, rarely ever commits a turnover, and yet the instant he takes even ONE questionable shot or holds the ball for 2 seconds longer then he should the CB fanbase turns "ultimate hater" and flames the hell out of him. 

I mean seriously, look at all the threads about Smart right now because of what he did in the Houston game.  How many threads about Rozier?  Do you guys realise he had one or two huge defensive plays and something like 6-8 points in that final quarter, and was absolutely instrumental to bringing Boston back from that hole they were in?

If you're going to shower Smart with praise for the (undeniably huge) plays he made, then you should show just as much recognition to guys like Marcus Morris, Al Horford, Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier - because those four guys did probably 70%-80% of the workload in terms of digging Boston back from a 26 point deficit, and if those guys didn't bring the game back to within striking distance, there would have been no opportunity for Smart to even make those heroic plays. 

Hell even Baynes deserves a ton of credit for making a bunch of huge defensive stops and securing a number of critical rebounds.  And Shane Larkin for the energy he brought on defense.  And Jayson Tatum, for making a number of absolutely critical defensive stops AND a couple of very important baskets in the last couple of minutes.

This was not a game won by Marcus Smart.  This was a game one by the Boston Celtics collectively, as a unit - everybody stepped up when they were needed and each of those guys made their mark as much as the other.

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Smart-haters need to rightfully acknowledge that Smart does some incredible things on the court that seemingly no one else on the team is willing or able to do.  If he's not going to play, we will be giving up those plays, etc.
I think the Smart-lovers need to not simply assume that one great play at the end of the game makes up for 4-5 bad plays leading up to that point.  I've watched too many game threads where Smart is playing horrible all game (bad shot selection, missed easy shots, turnovers, etc) and then makes a great defensive play in the 4th and we get 20 "That's why you need Marcus Smart" posts.  Well, we should probably also consider if we would actually need that great defensive play if not for that dumpster of bad plays before.
If we could sign the Marcus Smart that makes incredible defensive plays, bothers their best scorer, makes solid assists and stays within himself on offense (mostly high percentage drives)...EVERYONE would be on board to resign that guy.  Unfortunately, most of this year it's felt like a guy who's agent has told him no one will pay big money to a defense-only guy who's a liability on offense and he's determined to not let that happen.

I just want to note that this i one of the most true posts I've seen in regards to Marcus Smart - it's something that I note all the time, and rarely do any other people ever seem to acknowledge it.  TP for your truth.

There is a reason why Marcus Smart's advanced 'win based' stats aren't anything special this year - RPM, Net Rating, VORP, Win Share, etc.   Kyrie, Horford, Brown, Tatum and even Rozier rate above him in the majority of those stats.

Nobody can deny all of the great things that Smart does on the court.  The problem is that Smart is such a blue-collar guy (and so many of his big plays are so dramatic / memorable) that people tend to remember all of the big game winning plays that he makes, but forget all about all the bad plays he makes.

I've always been bewildered by the mentality of some fans on this board. 

There tends to be certain players who can do no wrong, and can pretty much get away with murder and still cop praise 24-7.  Marcus Smart could shoot 1-10, commit 8 turnovers, get 4 offensive fouls, and people would still rave about how amazing he is because he happened to save one big loose ball with 90 seconds left in the game.

But then there are other guys who do pretty much nothing but great things 90% of the time they're on the court and get zero recognition, only to get absolutely drilled every time they make one or two small mistakes.  For example Avery Bradley could score 20 points on 10-18 shooting, play suffocating defence on his opposing guy (holding him to 3-12 shooting), hit 3 of Boston's final 4 shots to bring the back in the game after being down by 5...and all you'd hear is people whining about that one time at the 90 second mark where he took a semi-open three while another guy had a slightly better shot. 

Rozier is another guy who falls in the AB category.  The guy has put up four straight games with 13+ points on >50% shooting, has made multiple huge clutch defensive plays and clutch shots towards the end of games, rarely ever commits a turnover, and yet the instant he takes even ONE questionable shot or holds the ball for 2 seconds longer then he should the CB fanbase turns "ultimate hater" and flames the hell out of him. 

I mean seriously, look at all the threads about Smart right now because of what he did in the Houston game.  How many threads about Rozier?  Do you guys realise he had one or two huge defensive plays and something like 6-8 points in that final quarter, and was absolutely instrumental to bringing Boston back from that hole they were in?

If you're going to shower Smart with praise for the (undeniably huge) plays he made, then you should show just as much recognition to guys like Marcus Morris, Al Horford, Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier - because those four guys did probably 70%-80% of the workload in terms of digging Boston back from a 26 point deficit, and if those guys didn't bring the game back to within striking distance, there would have been no opportunity for Smart to even make those heroic plays. 

Hell even Baynes deserves a ton of credit for making a bunch of huge defensive stops and securing a number of critical rebounds.  And Shane Larkin for the energy he brought on defense.  And Jayson Tatum, for making a number of absolutely critical defensive stops AND a couple of very important baskets in the last couple of minutes.

This was not a game won by Marcus Smart.  This was a game one by the Boston Celtics collectively, as a unit - everybody stepped up when they were needed and each of those guys made their mark as much as the other.
TP to this post and the quoted one

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I get why a lot of people like Smart. He doesn't really seem to hurt you too bad during the game and then comes up huge in absolute crunch time way more than his fair share.

To me he's more like the lottery scratch tickets.  You spend 10 bucks during the week on scratch tickets that come up blank.  Then at the end of the week you really really need 8 bucks and you hit it. So you do it again. And this consistently works for you and you get the idea you really need these scratch tickets in your life because they keep bailing you out.

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

That is a funny admission:  "big believer" in degrading others as an argument strategy.  It's interesting, Trump's degrading verbiage is probably something that both sustains his base AND keeps his disapproval numbers where they are.   That said, I've yet to hear (till now) someone liking his nasty rhetoric but disliking him generally.  A new voting block!

Anyway, I appreciate your honesty about this and hope you have a Happy New Year.

Fun talk, I was thinking latter on about your comment and realized my difference with MOST people. I'm not like most people never have been, grew up in a house that's like very few have and my life path and attitude towards life was always different. But anyway that's a story for another time hehehe.

Happy New Years to you.

« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 330
I get why a lot of people like Smart. He doesn't really seem to hurt you too bad during the game and then comes up huge in absolute crunch time way more than his fair share.

To me he's more like the lottery scratch tickets.  You spend 10 bucks during the week on scratch tickets that come up blank.  Then at the end of the week you really really need 8 bucks and you hit it. So you do it again. And this consistently works for you and you get the idea you really need these scratch tickets in your life because they keep bailing you out.

1) Scratch tickets are a tax on the poor
2) You're saying that Marcus Smart detracts value, overall? I think most would argue with this take.

« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

1) Scratch tickets are a tax on the poor
2) You're saying that Marcus Smart detracts value, overall? I think most would argue with this take.

1. I agree
2. Maybe the better way to put it is that I feel going forward in terms of return on investment there are probably better investments

« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Smart may not become an all star but he has value. He needs to know when his shot is falling or not. His hot streaks have won games but his cold streak have cost us games. He has learned to distribute the ball and play better within himself. I am hope we can keep him next year but i think he will get more elsewhere. 
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek