Author Topic: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis  (Read 12344 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I hate to say it, but I've heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis, and it looks like if Boston and Cleveland are two of the many teams in a bidding war for him (either IN-season or next summer), the C's could be at a disadvantage here.

Cleveland could offer something along the lines of 2018 BKN Pick, Kevin Love, Shumpert (salary), Zizic/Osman, and one future 2020-2021 1st rounder (which could be big if Lebron leaves before then, which is likely) FOR Davis and Asik (salary filler). Or if the Pels want Crowder badly, Cavs would do it with Crowder while taking away someone else (not Love though).

That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.

Kevin Love is a walking double-double at a "modest" rate, and I have a feeling that 2018 BKN pick will be a Top-5 pick while LAL pick.. we just have to pray, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't convey to be honest. We could offer Horford in a trade... but Pelicans may prefer a younger K. Love.

And if CLE trades for Davis say, next summer, then oh boy.. that could also entice Lebron to stay past this season, as Davis is legit someone who can close the gap between CLE and GSW.

That's not to say other teams won't be bidding for Davis (teams like Phoenix could be a legit threat too), but it's something to monitor.

We may face Cleveland in an ECF this year, but we could also be facing them for the services of Anthony Davis within the coming year to year-and-a-half. Highly doubt Lebron would leave Cleveland if they acquire Davis, and I'm sure the Cavaliers FO knows this too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Davis by lung.  Needs to stay with the young core in Boston!

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:50:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would be worried about Golden State too.

Putting an offer together built around Klay Thompson. New Orleans gets a star player to couple with DeMarcus Cousins.

Maybe even go as far as Thompson + Draymond if needed. Go with a big three of Steph, Durant and AD.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I would be worried about Golden State too.

Putting an offer together built around Klay Thompson. New Orleans gets a star player to couple with DeMarcus Cousins.

Maybe even go as far as Thompson + Draymond if needed. Go with a big three of Steph, Durant and AD.

Oh man, you're right.

But I don't think NOP trades Davis and keeps Cousins tbh (I just don't think they plan to build a core around Cousins, even if Davis leaves).

It may also be an issue of salary as GSW will be paying a big luxury tax even after they make that trade (since it involves matching salaries).

Pelicans may also want a great draft pick or two (which Golden State doesn't have), or so I hope. A Durant-Curry-AD trio would be terrifying.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
"That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.”

Yeah but your trade proposal from the Cavs has them gutting their team just as much as we would have to. So Cavs fans would probably say the same thing, that Boston could outbid us unless we gut our team.

And the whole problem with a trade for AD is that he is too valuable right now to trade. He’s on a great long contract, young, and an absolute star without holes in his game. So the Pelicans aren’t trading him for a regular package a star normally gets, they would need an absolute ton for him. Which is why you haven’t seen a trade for him yet. There isn’t a team in the league that can justify giving up that much for him.

So maybe cool it on the AD trade posts. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
"That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.”

Yeah but your trade proposal from the Cavs has them gutting their team just as much as we would have to. So Cavs fans would probably say the same thing, that Boston could outbid us unless we gut our team.

And the whole problem with a trade for AD is that he is too valuable right now to trade. He’s on a great long contract, young, and an absolute star without holes in his game. So the Pelicans aren’t trading him for a regular package a star normally gets, they would need an absolute ton for him. Which is why you haven’t seen a trade for him yet. There isn’t a team in the league that can justify giving up that much for him.

I think next summer is a legit possibility if Pelicans do bad this season.

After this year, he will have 2 years on his deal (since he won't opt-in to this third year playoff option), and Pelicans will have to make decisions. After seeing the Butler/George deals and seeing what IND/CHI got in returns (underwhelming), they may consider it.

Not calling it a guarantee he (Davis) ever gets traded, but there are sure to be rumors and phone calls in the coming 1-2 years lol.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
And Golden State is not trading Draymond and Klay for Davis lol. That’s one of the more ridiculous things I’ve heard in a while.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree with Bucketgetter that AD is probably untouchable for now.  From a rebuilding standpoint, I would think Tatum+Brown would be a bigger draw.  Love is getting a little older, and Klay would be a nice return, but they need to push the restart button with youth imo.

With the Celtics increasing success, the value of our players seems to increase as well.  Tatum+Brown playing well on a top Eastern conference team should carry more weight than a rookie putting up empty stats on a bottom feeder.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

I think next summer is a legit possibility if Pelicans do bad this season.

After this year, he will have 2 years on his deal (since he won't opt-in to this third year playoff option), and Pelicans will have to make decisions. After seeing the Butler/George deals and seeing what IND/CHI got in returns (underwhelming), they may consider it.

Not calling it a guarantee he (Davis) ever gets traded, but there are sure to be rumors and phone calls in the coming 1-2 years lol.
So if there are going to be rumors and phone calls 1-2 years from now, why can’t you wait until then to make new AD trade threads? Just gets a little tiresome seeing all these different AD trade threads from the same poster when the soonest he will get traded will be year from now. I guess I can just ignore them though and I do like to hear what you have to say, just not about the same topic over and over again.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We still have more picks than anyone else to offer, including the Lakers/Kings pick we got in the Tatum trade. Add that to Brown, Tatum, Smart, Rozier, Yabusele, etc., we can outbid anyone, IF we want to.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I hate to say it, but I've heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis, and it looks like if Boston and Cleveland are two of the many teams in a bidding war for him (either IN-season or next summer), the C's could be at a disadvantage here.

Cleveland could offer something along the lines of 2018 BKN Pick, Kevin Love, Shumpert (salary), Zizic/Osman, and one future 2020-2021 1st rounder (which could be big if Lebron leaves before then, which is likely) FOR Davis and Asik (salary filler). Or if the Pels want Crowder badly, Cavs would do it with Crowder while taking away someone else (not Love though).

That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.

Kevin Love is a walking double-double at a "modest" rate, and I have a feeling that 2018 BKN pick will be a Top-5 pick while LAL pick.. we just have to pray, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't convey to be honest. We could offer Horford in a trade... but Pelicans may prefer a younger K. Love.

And if CLE trades for Davis say, next summer, then oh boy.. that could also entice Lebron to stay past this season, as Davis is legit someone who can close the gap between CLE and GSW.

That's not to say other teams won't be bidding for Davis (teams like Phoenix could be a legit threat too), but it's something to monitor.

We may face Cleveland in an ECF this year, but we could also be facing them for the services of Anthony Davis within the coming year to year-and-a-half. Highly doubt Lebron would leave Cleveland if they acquire Davis, and I'm sure the Cavaliers FO knows this too.

That's actually not a very good offer. Okay lets start with  the pick, in terms of value its probably about equal to the LAL/SAC pick the Celtics have. So fine, I'll give you that. Kevin Love is not really much of an asset, he has two years left on his deal (so fewer than AD and is 29 years old with an injury history. That's not a piece a rebuilding New Orleans would want. Zizic/Osman haven't proven anything and right now have no more value than a late first which the Celtics have plenty of to throw in a deal. If Anthony Davis has four more years on his deal which means a pick in 20/21 will be from a team with him, still in his prime. In the east that's likely a playoff teams even if everyone else on the team stinks. So your deal is a good pick the cletics can match, a late first round prospect, an aging short contract veteran and a mid to late first? Ummm, no. The Memphis, LAL/SAC, Smart(resigned for salary matching) and ONE of Brown or Tatum blow that away.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
And Golden State is not trading Draymond and Klay for Davis lol. That’s one of the more ridiculous things I’ve heard in a while.

I see it as a situation where GSW where might need to breakup their four main guys. Everybody is happy now but money (need to take less to keep team together) or desire to be the #1 man on their own team (Klay, Draymond) might break them up at some point.

If GSW sees the writing on the walls 12-24 months down the line, that someone wants to leave -- then trading two of those guys to get a 3rd MVP caliber talent to put alongside Steph and Durant is an attractive proposition.

Hard to keep everybody happy there long term.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I doubt Davis is getting traded anywhere.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I see it as a situation where GSW where might need to breakup their four main guys. Everybody is happy now but money (need to take less to keep team together) or desire to be the #1 man on their own team (Klay, Draymond) might break them up at some point.

If GSW sees the writing on the walls 12-24 months down the line, that someone wants to leave -- then trading two of those guys to get a 3rd MVP caliber talent to put alongside Steph and Durant is an attractive proposition.

Yeah, i can see that if they lose to an up-start C's team in the Finals this year

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

If Golden State is forced to break up their core, it will be Klay for solid role players and depth. There’s no way they trade Draymond.

And you talk about Klay and Draymond wanting to be #1 guys, how do you think AD would like being the #3 guy on that team?