Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18388 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny did the best thing for the Celtics.

One thing I have not heard mentioned is the relationship between IT and Danny before the trade. Didn't Ainge kinda convince IT that IT had been his guy for a long time, and that he saw IT becoming a legend in Boston. If my memory is correct then that may be another dimension to IT's reaction to the trade.
Yes that is probably his angle and understandable.  However, Ainge has a reputation as a snake so nothing has changed. Get over it IT, the brinks truck is still coming.

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

One thing I have not heard mentioned is the relationship between IT and Danny before the trade. Didn't Ainge kinda convince IT that IT had been his guy for a long time, and that he saw IT becoming a legend in Boston. If my memory is correct then that may be another dimension to IT's reaction to the trade.

Danny did this weeks before the trade happened.

https://twitter.com/danielrainge/status/892577347240460288

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Maybe Thomas shouldn't have been so vocal about wanting a max and having the brinks truck show up.  Pretty good way to drive yourself out of town
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe Thomas shouldn't have been so vocal about wanting a max and having the brinks truck show up.  Pretty good way to drive yourself out of town

Danny will trade anybody, regardless of whether they're vocal or quiet, a team leader or a cancer, a veteran or a rookie.  Avery Bradley never talked about his contract, and he was traded without any hesitation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Right, and how about Crowder? Guy signed for a bargain rate and got traded too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Why wouldn't he be upset with Danny? He massively outperformed his contract, played at an All-NBA level, and played through physical and emotional pain while aggravating an injury that will likely cost him many millions of dollars.  He was the embodiment of a leader and a Celtic, and never complained even though the training staff possibly / probably misdiagnosed his injury. He was the team's head recruiter and a face of the franchise to be proud of.

Despite that, neither he nor his agent were even given a heads up that he was being shopped.

Who wouldn't be salty in that situation? Despite being treated like a damaged "asset", rather than a human being, he still has expressed love for the city, fans and teammates.

1. Players have break out seasons and outplay their contracts all the time.  If a better and younger star comes up, vast majority of the time, a team will trade that player.  That's the nature of the game, and it's why most players when they get traded will say things like "I wanted to be there, but trades are part of the game and its out of your control". 

2. There is no evidence to indicate the doctors misevaluated the injury - there is lots of heresy, and that's about it.  If the injury truly is worse then projected, then you can Blame IT as much as anybody - he's the one going around telling the world he's fine moreso then anybody.

3. Who says he was being shopped?  I strongly doubt Danny was calling up teams saying "hey bro, what will you give me for IT?".  I don't imagine he had any intention of trading IT - but Kyrie demanded a trade out of Cleveland, and Danny Ainge happened to be the GM of a team with lots of nice assets...so when Cleveland came calling offering a younger, better superstar in return for the ageing, injured, expiring Isaiah Thomas, Danny couldn't say no.  It's like my current car.  I have an Alfa 147 GTA which I absolutely love, and it's not for sale - I have no desire to sell it.  But if somebody stops me randomly and says "hey I'm bored of my Audi S5, want to trade?" - I wouldn't be able to say no.  As much as I love my car, I can't say no to having a new, better car that I also really love.

I've always appreciated IT as long as he's been here, but I cannot recall the last time I saw a star player traded from a team and react to it in such a vocal, whiney and borderline obsessive way.  Even when Pierce and KG got traded - you think they didn't love Boston at least as much as IT did?  You they didn't go through as much as IT did playing here - the amount of pain KG had to go through alter in his career just to get on the court and he'd still give it everything he had every night.  Guarantee they both wanted to retire Celtics.  But when they got traded they didn't speak a word of hate or negativity towards Danny, Doc, or the organisation.  All they did is talk about how much they loved Boston and it's fans and the organisation.

Likewise when Rondo got traded - he was the main man on this team for how long?  The face of the franchise for how long ? He got traded out for what (at the time) seemed like scraps, he never complained.

Avery Bradley, the longest tenured Celtic, somebody who gave everything he had every night..he got traded by Danny to a team that might not even be a playoff team, and he got moved for what reason?  So they could clear a measly $2m in cap space to sign Gordon Hayward.   That's like telling AB his loyalty to the team is not worth $2M.  But he's not out there whining every day like IT seems to be.

Not saying he doesn't have the right to be upset, just saying that he seems to be one of the only pro players out there who can't seem to remain professional about the whole situation.  The last time I saw a player throw hissy fits of this magnitude was Ray Allen, who in hindsight seems to be a bit of a head case.

Seriously, if you look at some of the things Thomas has said via tweeters and the like since the trade...he really does come across as a bit of a head case himself.

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 10:47:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Right, and how about Crowder? Guy signed for a bargain rate and got traded too.

Crowder is a role player.  Role players oft get traded. The fact that he's on such a good deal is most likely the only reason this trade was even agreed to by Cleveland.

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not saying he doesn't have the right to be upset, just saying that he seems to be one of the only pro players out there who can't seem to remain professional about the whole situation.  The last time I saw a player throw hissy fits of this magnitude was Ray Allen, who in hindsight seems to be a bit of a head case.

Seriously, if you look at some of the things Thomas has said via tweeters and the like since the trade...he really does come across as a bit of a head case himself.

A strong man is candid about his emotions and his mental stability is questioned. Typical.

I'd take a team of 15 similar "head cases".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:58:49 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Danny will trade anybody, regardless of whether they're vocal or quiet, a team leader or a cancer, a veteran or a rookie.  Avery Bradley never talked about his contract, and he was traded without any hesitation.

As cold hearted as this sounds, that's his job. 

Danny's job is to make the deals that he feels are in the best interest of the team, now and in the future.  His ability to cut himself off emotionally and make those decisions based purely on basketball is, arguably, his greatest strength as a GM.  It's the reason why he was able to make 2 of his greatest moves as a GM:

1. Trading for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett - had to give up on Al Jefferson, who was a much loved and highly promising young big man.  Not an easy decision, but it got Boston banner #17.

2. Brooklyn trade - had to move Pierce and KG, which was not a popular or easy thing to do, but set the team's rebuild process forward by probably 2-3 years.

Three years from now we may well be speaking the same way about Danny's last two difficult decisions:

i) Trading AB in order to clear the cap space required to sign Gordon Hayward
ii) Moving IT and Crowder for Kyrie Irving

I have nothing but respect for organisations like the Spurs, Lakers and Mavericks, who supported Duncan, Kobe and Dirk.  I think it's truly admirable that those teams show that kind of loyalty to their players.

However from a business perspective, the Lakers and Mavericks could both be in a far better position right now if they had dealt those star players 2-3 seasons ago to a team in win-now mode, for some quality future assets.  So as a friend, what they did was great.  As a business decision, it could be the worst decision they could make.

Lets not forget, it was Danny who believed in Thomas enough to trade for him to begin with - it was a move that many of the Celtic fans on this very blog were strongly against, and he was coming of his second straight team that he seemingly couldn't fit in / excel on.  Danny took a chance on him, gave him the keys to the team, and gave him the opportunity to be the king in Boston.  It took advantage of that opportunity and shone, but he may never have had the career explosion that he did if not for Danny investing in him and many other people would not have.

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

This is the issue. To compare Danny to another local icon, Bill Belichick would never do this in a million years. Heck, he barely admits that Tommy Brady has a solid spot on the roster.

If Danny's going the Belichick route - which seems to be his style - he also needs to be up front about it. If he was telling IT different, I think that's unfair.

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

A strong man is candid about his emotions and his mental stability is questioned. Typical.

Strength has nothing at all to do with what I am talking about.

Did you see some of the weird stuff h's been putting out there lately?  Like that weird youtube video of him training with his kids, rambling madly about Kyrie tweets and how he's gong to score "x" number of points, etc.  He goes on and on repeating the same stuff like a raving madman. 

My immediate reaction was...wholy crap, IT has done completely mad. 

Some of the other things he's said since are only reinforcing that idea.  If he doesn't chill out soon he's going to push himself to Ron Artest level lunacy.

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Did you see some of the weird stuff h's been putting out there lately?  Like that weird youtube video of him training with his kids, rambling madly about Kyrie tweets and how he's gong to score "x" number of points, etc.  He goes on and on repeating the same stuff like a raving madman. 

Some of the other things he's said since are only reinforcing that idea.  If he doesn't chill out soon he's going to push himself to Ron Artest level lunacy.

Can't find these videos. Would you mind sharing some links?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:32 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
IT is the man, and he will forever have my respect.

That said, this is a trade a smart GM makes every time. I truthfully Don understand how people don't like this trade.

Kyrie is a better player than IT, and 90% of the time in the NBA, the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

I just hope in 7 months people own up to hating this trade.

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Unfortunately tried the video to include in my last post, but couldn't find it.  My brother initially linked me to it something like a week after the trade.  If I find the link I will add it in. 

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Unfortunately tried the video to include in my last post, but couldn't find it.  My brother initially linked me to it something like a week after the trade.  If I find the link I will add it in.

It's cool, thanks. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC