Author Topic: Revised feelings on the trade since watching pre-season?  (Read 6712 times)

Re: Revised feelings on the trade since watching pre-season?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
IT was fools gold, great scorer, made nobody better

It's comments like this that make me wonder what I missed. IT sure seemed to have a noticeable effect on his team and his teammates from where I was watching.
It was a necessary deal to upgrade the team - but posters here still continue to sell IT short.  He's a terrific player. 

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm probably in the minority of Celtics fans here but I loved the trade when it happened and I love it even more seeing the pre-season.

I was far more upset about losing Avery and Kelly than I was about Isaiah or Jae. I liked all of them but the brinks truck talk and the deleted trade me tweet were off-putting. So I guess i got over the team getting blown up when Avery got traded, because I was more attached to him than anyone, and was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I knew Kyrie mostly from watching us play the cavs and the Uncle Drew videos, and thought he was good and likable. I was pumped when we got him, pumped we didn't lose Smart or Brown or Tatum, and felt it was a fair trade. Now I think we may have gotten the better end of the trade.

TP. You express the same thoughts as I have. I'm also gonna miss Bradley and Olynyk more than Thomas and Crowder. Though pre-season play by Smart and Rozier makes me confident that we'll be allright in redistributing the minutes of Bradley. 

Thomas did great things for the Celtics, but I always felt it was more about him than about the team. I can't blame Thomas for never wanting to speak to Ainge again, but I fully support Ainge in making this trade. Most GM's shy away from making these tough decisions and Ainge does not. That approach may lead us to a championship. On the other hand, the Warriors are still out there...

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Didn't like the trade and nothing has changed. Cavs were in a tough bind and we gave them an out.

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Zizic is so young,not a sniff of a outside game and is a foul magnet -he had 3 fouls in six minutes in a pre season game.He could not play for us.
Crowder would have not accepted Hayward as a golden boy and fan darling.Avery went for Hayward an all star from West is versatile and can play defense and we got tough guy morris a Lebron stopper and along with morris came came Baynes.
If Isaiah had been talking home team discount and cut the brinks truck posturing but it was the shoes that pushed me away the most-
Injured till January and when he returns every time he hit the deck would be a nightmare of
emotions

Fultz is a disaster now-nobody would change a foul shot to that-he has to be masking a shoulder problem-if not he has a screw loose
So we got the guy and a pick

I have never seen potential stars that can't shoot foul shots or don't have outside game or mid range  and can't get off a good look when contested.Simmons ,Ball and Fultz its crazy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:05:23 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I didn't like the trade, but I hate it less now than I did when it happened.

At the time of the trade I didn't expect IT to be out so long. Him being out half the season has to factor into things.

Last year IT posted the best offensive season I've witnessed since following the team. He probably regresses due to injury in the future but the enjoyment he brought me watching this team last year makes me with we had kept him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yeah ,  knowing Thomas is out till Jan 2018 .....that would have been really tuff on the team without his scoring .   Clear DAnny did not want to waste a year trying to win tue East, and little chance of beating Cavs without a fully fit and 100 %ready to rock IT at the helm.   Its a bad injury ,  im not sure playing professinal ball he can keep from messing it up again at somepoint.  Then the opportunity to sign a player like Irving to replace him is vanished .  Irving skill  set /talent is rare.

Been for the trade all,along , based on IT health concerns for now and future of that hip.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Loved it every minute of it. The more I heard about IT bringing up max contract, and then complaining and whining about getting traded from his ego to bashing at Danny Ainge, the more I loved the trade.

Never heard PP34 and KG complained about getting traded. NBA is a business.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was 'okay' with it when it happened and am now ready to move forward with the season just around the corner. Like Donoghus said, I don't think we can truly assess the trade until we know the results of the lottery next year. If that pick falls outside of the top 5, then I will consider this a very good trade considering Kyrie's age/contract and IT's age/upcoming contract.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
IT was fools gold, great scorer, made nobody better

It's comments like this that make me wonder what I missed. IT sure seemed to have a noticeable effect on his team and his teammates from where I was watching.

He was the heart and soul of this team; he had one of the greatest individual seasons in Celtics history; the Celts would have been a 40-45 win team last year without him.

Anybody who doesn't appreciate that is falling into the trap of so many others over Isaiah's career, focusing way too much on his stature to the point they can't appreciate the impact he has.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Much will depend on just how good Kyrie demonstrates he can be now that he's out of LeBron's shadow, and just how good Isaiah looks coming off his injury.

Crowder was expendable given Tatum + Brown.

Zizic, I agree, is replaceable.  Teams seem to find productive traditional big men in the 20-45 range every year.

The pick was a major piece to give up, but I'm kind of relieved to not have to follow the Nets all year for the 3rd year in a row.  We've got enough young pieces anyway.

The real kicker here is that Danny ripped out of the heart of the franchise in the hopes that the beating heart he'd put in place of the previous one will be stronger and last longer.
I'm following more than ever. That could be because I enjoy bashing Danny-doubters more than I enjoy any good work that Danny actually does..

GET BANK ON THE NETSMOBILE PHO!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I really liked the trade then and I love it even more now.

1. Last years team wasnt very dynamic. You had alot of good players but with limitations. IT had trouble playing on the ball so you played AB there who was great on ball but IT wasnt that good off ball. AB wasnt as good off ball as on and both gave up real height and length. Crowder couldnt put the ball on the deck all that often but was a good shooter with only one guy who could get him the ball IT. The entire starting lineup minus was system dependent to get shots. It worked against most teams but most of them didnt have a higher level they could take their games.

2. People talk about how much they will miss AB and Crowder and they will but I think its mostly from a leadership standpoint. This was not an elite defensive team. I believe Hayward's D is just as good as Crowders. AB will be missed for his shot making and D but in reality I didnt have any expectation that the team could sign him after this year.

3. Last year's team needed more dynamic players that's why I loved the addition of Brown and really didnt like the idea of Hield like many people wanted. You have to be able to defend the wing and the 15/16 team never never had plus athletes there.

4. Right from the jump I could tell this years line up addressed some of the primary issues that last years team faced. They were no longer super small 1 - 4 and could now switch just about every matchup using their length. They were able to challenge more shots and make passes more difficult.

5. They dont seem as vulnerable on the boards due to their overall length and athleticism. Horford in particular seems freed up to chase balls and seems to be much more active on the boards this year although its early.

6. Ultimately I like that this team has a quality top 9 without playing guys like Smart at the 3 or even the 4. I like the balance of the team and the overall size and length added to this team making it more competitive.

7. Lastly, when I look at the Cavs roster I have to say to myself who is going to guard Kyrie? We know IT and Crowder cant. Can Wade, Smith, or Shumpert? If IT isnt right do you really fear a closing lineup of Rose, LeBron Crowder, Love, and Wade when 2 of those guys cant shoot the 3 ball? It makes the Horford vs Love matchup easier to handle.

Oh one other thing. Going into that series with the Cavs, how many people said the Cs have one of the top 2 players? Or check that top 3 players in the series. I dont recall anyone saying the Cs had a top 2 player in the series but maybe top 3. Those things matter in a series therefore I have and will continue to love this trade.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
TP.  I think Incoherent captured the thoughts of DA BEFORE he made the trade.  He absolutely traded Crowder in large part of open up minutes for Tatum and Brown. Zizic was a throw in, and deservedly so.  He'll have to transform his game entirely if he is to become anything at all in the league.  Would not be surprised if he was back in Europe in three years.  Agree with sentiments for the pick, which I predict to land anywhere from 5 - 8.  But either way, given IT's health situation, something else of value had to be thrown in no matter what. As for IT, I don't think DA ever wanted to pay him long term.

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Hopefully Tatum can still hit shots in the playoffs, when we'll need him or Jae might get the last laugh this season.  Looking forward to seeing them matchup against one another.

Jae is gonna try and put a beat down on Tatum.  I hope we sick Semi on him though.  That would be a fun battle to watch:  Semi vs Crowder

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The trade has gotten better for me.

In no real order...

Tatum and Jaylen look more ready than I feared

Kyrie looks a little better than I thought

With the Nets getting more talent and other teams losing All Stars to out west the pick doesn't look as good as I hoped

I didn't expect IT to be out so long and that's huge

The money and age difference involved might make a big difference too.

With Baynes and Theis playing well losing Zizic doesn't hurt as much

Cleveland losing Kyrie could really hurt them.

In a worst case scenario (pick is good, IT is great, Kyrie isn't as great as hoped, either Tatum or Brown don't really get it going) things still look quite survivable and in a best case scenario we look really good
This is how I feel except I do wish Zizic was still around. With Baynes hurt there is literally no one else with center size on the team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hopefully Tatum can still hit shots in the playoffs, when we'll need him or Jae might get the last laugh this season.  Looking forward to seeing them matchup against one another.

Jae is gonna try and put a beat down on Tatum.  I hope we sick Semi on him though.  That would be a fun battle to watch:  Semi vs Crowder
First off, let’s stop talking like this. These are people, not dogs. We’re not sicking anyone on anyone, and Crowder isn’t going to beat down anyone either. Stop treating the game like it’s an illegal underground dog fighting match.

Second, Semi vs Crowder would be a terrible matchup to watch. Neither would do anything on offense, they would just stand beyond the arc to space the court.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out