Author Topic: How to accept Kyrie's Wokeness  (Read 5400 times)

Re: How to accept Kyrie's Wokeness
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I just listened to episode 7 of the Road Trippin' podcast, which is Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's podcast. I think this is where all the flat-Earth stuff started.

And I gotta say... I don't think he was trolling. He seems to be legitimately think that the Earth is flat. He also seems to be convinced of some kind of conspiracy theory about Neil Armstrong never having actually walked on the moon and that there's a lot of shady business surrounding the JFK assassination.

So he's a conspiracy theory guy. He doesn't trust a lot of the information a lot of us assume is correct because we're told by some authority.

He also comes off to me as someone who generally cares about people, fwiw.

I gotta listen to that.

(Listened to it)

He talks to people with a therapist vibe maybe because he probably has a psychotherapist. He believes in aliens, and he really does believe the earth is flat. He has had Matrix moments where everything is a facade. Believing in far-out stuff like that, true or not, has the power to drive someone nutty, and it appeals to the already nutty. Now I get why he repeats "reality" and "reality-based", he has to remind himself, center himself, because someone else he talks to is guiding him to remind himself and not sound like a nutjob. We've got ourselves not just a rambler, but a genuine headcase! I say that with respect. I love it. It makes him interesting. He could still average 30 pts and win us a championship, anyway, so it doesn't ultimately matter.

Edit: He says his dad was like a mini Joe Jackson, so his emphasis on perfecting his craft is not just lip service. He must have an unquenchable thirst to be a perfect player. Hopefully Stevens can channel that drive into defense a little.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:31:05 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I just listened to episode 7 of the Road Trippin' podcast, which is Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's podcast. I think this is where all the flat-Earth stuff started.

And I gotta say... I don't think he was trolling. He seems to be legitimately think that the Earth is flat. He also seems to be convinced of some kind of conspiracy theory about Neil Armstrong never having actually walked on the moon and that there's a lot of shady business surrounding the JFK assassination.

So he's a conspiracy theory guy. He doesn't trust a lot of the information a lot of us assume is correct because we're told by some authority.

I watched that video too, and I got to say...

He's an masterful troller.

When Irving popped up on The Road Trippin’ podcast with Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye during the All-Star break, he broke social media with his belief of a flat Earth versus a round one. His stance went viral in a matter of moments, giving the 25-year-old more off-court attention than he’d gotten in the past.

It sounds like that was the whole point.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/832770937078571008/video/1

Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
It drove Kyrie nuts that we didn't care what he had to say about politics, racial and social issues. Only LeBron
Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
That's why the whole 'flat Earth' thing happened. Kyrie said something dumb on a podcast, and suddenly everyone cared

Kyrie Irving's issue has always been the shadow of LBJ. Lebron eclipsed over everything Kyrie Irving did. Hell, even an reporter asked a numbingly dumb question, "how does Lebron fit the role of parental guidance, or being a father figure?"

So to summarize your entire post, you believe that he wasn't serious but instead that he's so insecure and immature he has to say stupid things to get attention. My kids did that...when they were 3 and 4 years old. Either way, it's exactly an ideal situation for the face of a franchise.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

He's not trolling. He's completely serious.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

When Irving popped up on The Road Trippin’ podcast with Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye during the All-Star break, he broke social media with his belief of a flat Earth versus a round one. His stance went viral in a matter of moments, giving the 25-year-old more off-court attention than he’d gotten in the past.

It sounds like that was the whole point.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/832770937078571008/video/1

Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
It drove Kyrie nuts that we didn't care what he had to say about politics, racial and social issues. Only LeBron
Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
That's why the whole 'flat Earth' thing happened. Kyrie said something dumb on a podcast, and suddenly everyone cared

Kyrie Irving's issue has always been the shadow of LBJ. Lebron eclipsed over everything Kyrie Irving did. Hell, even an reporter asked a numbingly dumb question, "how does Lebron fit the role of parental guidance, or being a father figure?"

So to summarize your entire post, you believe that he wasn't serious but instead that he's so insecure and immature he has to say stupid things to get attention. My kids did that...when they were 3 and 4 years old. Either way, it's exactly an ideal situation for the face of a franchise.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get it twisted.  Kyrie is a nice player, but Jayson Tatum is the face of this franchise moving forward (hopefully Kyrie doesn't demand a trade).   

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

He's not trolling. He's completely serious.
He does seem to be.

Here's a clip of Jaylen Brown talking about getting the opportunity to spend some time and talk to Kyrie. He jokes the flat Earth thing. Man, would I love to listen to a conversation between those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7TFzVX0lLw
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:15:09 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Only a fool would think Kyrie actually believes the earth is flat. Holy Lord are some people gullible.

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Also, people who use the term "woke" sound dumb.

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Only a fool would think Kyrie actually believes the earth is flat. Holy Lord are some people gullible.
Have you actually listened to him talk about it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

There is video where he tells the media he was joking.

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

He doesn't believe in the moon landing, either. But he does believe in aliens. He would call you gullible for believing everything put in front of you. He is a bona fide tinfoil hat wearing dude. That's who Kyrie Irving is. It's glorious. The next several years are going to be super interesting.

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

If you listen to the Road Trippin podcast, it's clear he's not joking.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I actually like that he's a weirdo.  I hope he gets weirder.

It's been too long since we had a guy who gave totally off the wall interviews.  I've missed that since KG got traded.
Give me KG's weirdness over this any day lol

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I'm not sure why people obsess over trolling statements. Kyrie acknowledged that he has been asked a lot about this one issue. It's effectively click bait.

In 2017, any news is good news. Look at Kap- more people are talking about him than Josh McCown, and the latter is a starting QB in the NFL.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

Link?

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I'm not sure why people obsess over trolling statements. Kyrie acknowledged that he has been asked a lot about this one issue. It's effectively click bait.

In 2017, any news is good news. Look at Kap- more people are talking about him than Josh McCown, and the latter is a starting QB in the NFL.

What separates the Road Trippin podcast is that he was just shooting the **** with teammates and letting his guard down. He wasn't trolling his teammates. If anything, they were egging him on to be his real, odd-opinion-having self. And he bit. He is speaking for real about his real stances. He has a bizarre set of stances.