Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 48317 times)

Re: ShamBomb: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
ESPN says the pick is unprotected. We got hosed.

What if that pick is a dud? More likely than not

« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I can understand some of the sentimental feelings about IT by don't kid yourself....if IT hit free agency and a different team offered a max deal but the Cs didn't...he would have walked.  So, if Danny doesn't think that IT is a max player (which he isn't), then he has to do this deal.   All day, every day.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
does Danny feel the Nets will do better than the Lakers while the Lakers still miss out on the #1 pick

« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
Two things:

1) The ceiling for the team over the next 5 years, assuming we re-sign Kyrie, just got higher.

2) The team just got a lot less likable in the short term.  Perhaps Kyrie will end up a beloved Celtic.

Isaiah Thomas is one of my favorite players whose been in green since I became a fan.  Period.

I'm not sure where this vitriol for Kyrie is coming from. Sure, he gets iso-heavy at times, but he's proven to be unstoppable at times in three separate playoffs now. And he can actually play D when asked, which is more than can be said about IT.

He was also easily the most likable player on that Cleveland team.

Now, that doesn't mean I think this is a great trade. It's a pretty substantial overpay if there's no protection on the Brooklyn pick. However, I do think we're probably a better team for a longer overall time with Kyrie than we were with IT.

All that we can know for sure is this - OPENING NIGHT IS GOING TO BE LIT! Hopefully IT is still recovering from his hip injury at that time, because I could see him going off in a revenge game against us. I can also see Kyrie going for 50 that night in his first night back in the Q lol

I just think Kyrie is a guy who does his aggressive iso thing no matter what the circumstances are.  Sometimes he's hot and it works great other times it feels like he's jacking shots and ignoring the fact that he has teammates.

Maybe it'll be different under Brad.

Well, apparently he wanted to play for Brad, so hopefully he can get him more team-oriented. He turned IT into a more team-oriented player, so perhaps he can do the same with Kyrie.

« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Irving apparently agreed to waive his trade kicker, too.

this is how much he wanted to leave Cleveland

Griffin was right all along....  Irving had Celtics as one of the teams he wouldn't mind being traded to....to play under CBS  (not play under Lue who is ultimately Lebrons puppet)

Kyrie dad also played for Boston University...so he knows the city

« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
so does this mean our rebounding solution is gone again! Lol...All I want for Christmas is a tall center that rebounds. Zizic could turn out to be very good.

« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
IT's points per game is about to take a bit of a dip

maybe no max for him?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Kyrie is going to get paid less after extended and can be much better on defense if he commits.  We can still get a top pick via the Lakers.  Things will be okay.

I just don't understand why the Lakers pick wasn't in the deal instead of the Brooklyn pick. It's of fairly similar value as the Brooklyn pick.

I still think there has to be a top-1 protection on the pick with us giving them the LA pick if the Brooklyn pick doesn't convey.

I hope so as well but we will see.  Have seen in some recent talk like this the protection info be way behind the rest.

The good news though is that yeah the Lakers pick could be great next year.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I give Danny this:

He is one cold blooded dude.

After the year IT had, to see him traded like that just shocks me.

Never thought I'd see this.

« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:47 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
ESPN says the pick is unprotected. We got hosed.

What if that pick is a dud? More likely than not

I don't buy that for a second. BRK is a bottom 4 or 5 team. Possible it winds up mid-lottery, but IMO, that's a top 5 pick and we'll regret not having it unless we hit on the LAL pick.

« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
does Danny feel the Nets will do better than the Lakers while the Lakers still miss out on the #1 pick

of course

Nets added some good pieces in the off season

Lakers are a NBDL team...even lost Nick Young

plus even by some miracle they are not a bottom 5 team...pick turns into a 2019 kings 1st

« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts don't make the Finals anytime in the next few years, this trade is a major fail.

If we're gonna finish second in the East to LeBron or whoever, I'd rather do so with Thomas as the guy than Kyrie.

Trading the heart of the franchise for a Drake look-alike with a mean crossover only works for me if it results in something we couldn't accomplish before.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It could be that, or he thinks Jayson Tatum would be a superstar that its worth losing a valuable pick. Or he thinks Kyrie could be better than we know of him.

I'm hoping any of those three are right, as of now, it looks like a massive overpay.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
can we get rid of Brooklyn tank watch thread?! I want them to win about 35 now. Time to order a voodoo lakers doll as well.

« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hey, the good news is we'll probably see either IT or the Celts in the Finals next year.

Yeah, I'll always root for IT.

Cleveland is a better team than they were yesterday, and this may keep Lebron in Cleveland.

I mean, that BRK pick can be combined with their junk contracts to being back another superstar, if that's the root they go. They could end the season with four legit stars.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes